iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help getting cranked

Started by dnalley, May 30, 2016, 08:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

Many times I've sprayed a shot of carb cleaner into the breather or carb to aid in starting an engine.  With no carb or access in these throttle-bodied, fuel injected engines,  I'm at a complete loss of how to help get things cranked.  Spraying into the breather doesn't seem to work....lots of rough backfiring.  I hear the fuel pump running but not getting to plugs.  Anyone know a better way?  Fuel filter shouldn't be an issue but not absolutely certain.  Engine was running and just quit.  With all this electronic stuff I'm lost as a rat in a meatbox.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks, Dwight

gspren

What's this on? Sounds like fuel pumps running but not pumping, could be a bad pump, bad filter, blocked fuel line.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dnalley

starmac

Either is at best a bandaid to aid in starting when you have a problem that needs addressing, and as you can see it doesn't work very well on the fuel injected later model engines. Depending on how it acted when it quit, I would probably start with a fuel pressure check, then timing, even plugged exhaust can keep one from running, though they will usually start and idle.
Is your ranger 4 or 6 cylinder, if 4 make sure the cam is even turning.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!