iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 super hydraulic

Started by hoosieryote, September 01, 2015, 11:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoosieryote

Has anyone modified these to handle ties without having to manhandle them?

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hoosieryote

I wanna put a system on it to drag a tie to the end without touching the tie log.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hoosieryote.  Your question sorts asks more questions about exactly what you want to do.  The LT40SH comes standard with Board Dragback. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

did u try to pick up the roller toeboards and drag back?  kinda a pita if u dont have the hydraulics anywhere mod
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

I've sawn plenty of ties with my super, and still wish I had bought the 70 after running one, hands down. However I roll the ties off the saw dust side with rollers then roll down to the stack.  It's not too bad, but it seems that man handling is kinda part of sawmilling in some form or fashion, unless you have hired hands ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hoosieryote

I understand lol I've had a lt30 for 20+ years. My back giving me fits. So I'm trying to set it up where I can stack tie logs and crating in 2 seperate stacks using hydraulics more than my back. I don't wanna quit sawing. I just wanna improve the system per say. Even thinking of a separate hydraulic unit and running power rollers to the stack than building a flipper to flip the ties on a stack? More or less trying to design a way I can keep doing my livelihood.

4x4American

Welcome to the forum hoosieryote!  Adding a location and your equipment will help in future posts.
Boy, back in my day..

boscojmb

I cut 20 12" x 6" x 16' beams last month and did exactly what you are thinking of. I pushed the beams off the end of the mill and into the back of my truck.

I run A big heavy 4 post mill that is all hydraulic.

I  set my log Rite between the two forward posts and moved the headrig forward pushing the beams right into my truck.

My mill is completely opposite from an LT40. I would verify that the 12V feed motor can handle it before you try it.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

hoosieryote

I guess im trying to setup a  lt40 or lt50 as a 1 man operation. Mainly cutting ties and cants. Asa logger i can keep myself well supplied in logs. Help that wants to work is a different scenerio of course!!

Bandmill Bandit

About 20 Percent of what i been sawing this year has been 6"x6"x12' & 6"x8"x12'.  Generally was getting 1 per Log and the logs were not real big but had a few where I got 2on the first job. I use the roller toe boards fully raised and catch the bottom edge of the tie on the carry strip mod on my board return arm.

This was the first job of this size of cants and is where I developed this procedure for off loading them.

I have a short extension table with a roller on it that lets me push em right back onto my out feed roller table. this whole system is still in proto type configuation but will get stands mounting hardware and the like perfected this winter dont think i even have any pictures yet but will go take some and post later today.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

View from the off load end. I release the clamp and raise the toe rollers to the MAX.
NOTE: My hydraulics are live 100% of the time!

End of 4th cut piror to lowering head to grab the cant.

Both toe rollers raised to the MAX and ...

Return catch under the cant

Cant released and settled on the roller table and the end roller on the off load stubby table.

IT rolls about 2 feet on it own when i stop the head. takes a pretty easy push with the right arm to send it back on the the table completely. Can actually send it off the end if I push to hard. That one is 6x8 Birch.

Largest I have pushed back using this method is 12"X16"X16'. Was 2 x 8"X12"X16' beams.

The "stubby table" is a proto type work in progress and will get a few more mods before  do a full metal build on it with a powered off feed roller addition. It will get lowered a bit and there will be a modification of the Hydraulic controls. Not sure if that will be a bluetooth remote valve controll block  (leaning that direction) or an addition of hose length to allow the valves to be positioned with in an arc that the extra hose would provide. I don't like the mess that conjures up in my mind and the Blue tooth system would allow me to control the hydraulics from anywhere. BUT that then raises the need to make the saw head blue tooth TOO!
we will see. It is a work in progress and I am havin fun doing it.
I will get video of the whole process when my son gets home.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

drobertson

I like it, no doubt works, this has to speed up the process thanks for sharing,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

In good logs it take a very darn good off bearer to keep up and in most situation 2 of them.

10' & 12'  4x4, 4x6, 6x6, 6x8 I can do about 4MBF in a 10/12 hour day. 10% wane cleaned of bark.

Thats based on a weeks production and not sawing for second cut slabs cant em out so i end up with max 2 more cuts.

common yields per log look like  2x 6X8 next is 2x 4X6 1x 6X6 1x 4X4, these 2 profiles tend to be about 75 %. next 4x 6x6, and the odd 4x 6x8 (about 10%).

This was the second job shipping to the same buyer in much better timber, in this case all white spruce.

On this job the customer had a bobcat and FEL tractor with forks plus a extra set of forks for bobcat.
For loading we had a Hitachi 200 hoe with thumb to load the roll way and deck the timber. 650 JD dozer for skidding. One faller 2 limbers/buckers plus my sawmill and me.

First slabs went off to the loader side onto 2 4x4s with the extra set of forks parked under them. 6X8s went off right behind my seat onto second set of 4x4s with bobcat with forks parked under them. 6X6 went off the end and to the left (sitting in the seat) onto 4x4s. 4X6s went off the end to the right. 4X4 went off the end & straight through between the 6x6 and 4x6 stacks to a second set of 4X4s. ALL stacks were accessible by both FELS and minimized the work load for the 2 young hockey players that were my off bearers. one 15 and one 17.     

Percy

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on September 17, 2015, 02:12:33 PM

View from the off load end. I release the clamp and raise the toe rollers to the MAX.
NOTE: My hydraulics are live 100% of the time!

End of 4th cut piror to lowering head to grab the cant.

Both toe rollers raised to the MAX and ...

Return catch under the cant

Cant released and settled on the roller table and the end roller on the off load stubby table.

IT rolls about 2 feet on it own when i stop the head. takes a pretty easy push with the right arm to send it back on the the table completely. Can actually send it off the end if I push to hard. That one is 6x8 Birch.

Largest I have pushed back using this method is 12"X16"X16'. Was 2 x 8"X12"X16' beams.

The "stubby table" is a proto type work in progress and will get a few more mods before  do a full metal build on it with a powered off feed roller addition. It will get lowered a bit and there will be a modification of the Hydraulic controls. Not sure if that will be a bluetooth remote valve controll block  (leaning that direction) or an addition of hose length to allow the valves to be positioned with in an arc that the extra hose would provide. I don't like the mess that conjures up in my mind and the Blue tooth system would allow me to control the hydraulics from anywhere. BUT that then raises the need to make the saw head blue tooth TOO!
we will see. It is a work in progress and I am havin fun doing it.
I will get video of the whole process when my son gets home.
Slick. I luv the McGuyver stuff. Do it all the time myself. Every gizzmo I come up with is a "prototype" too. :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!