iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10 inch X 4 Inch beams Coastal Douglas Fir

Started by ultraglide62, June 09, 2012, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraglide62

I am building a post and beam cabin using Douglas fir off my land.  I cut some beams and they started out at 32% moisture and 4 weeks later they are down to about 16%.  All I did was sticker them and cover with OSB plywood to keep the rain and sun off them.  I used 2x6's for stickers on the top and put the plywood directly on the dried 2x6.
on somer of the beams there are black marks that coincide with the placement of the 2x6 stickers.  Is this mold?  I have tried to sand them out but they are deeper than just the surface.  If it is mold should I treat theses areas with some type of solution before I put them up for the roof support and install the car decking for my roof?
I need a quick answer since i plan on setting them this coming Monday.

I AM A NEWBIE PLEASE HELP!
WOODMIZER LT 40

scsmith42

Ultraglide, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

The problem that you describe sounds like "sticker stain".  Although this usually occurs when using green stickers on green lumber, on occasion it can occur when you use excessively wide (yet dry) stickers.

The problem is caused by moisture being trapped between the sticker and the lumber, and the growth of some type of mold or fungus in the moist area.

Usually you can prevent it by using narrower, dry stickers.  Most stickers are only 1-1/4" wide, or thereabouts, and some commercial stickers have grooves milled across them in order to allow trapped moisture to escape.

Usually the stain goes in to a depth of 1/16" to 1/8" or so.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

It is mold, and a solution of water and bleach may clean it up for you. Worth a try.
Welcome to the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kderby

Yes, sounds like mold due to the the wide stickers.  As these are going under a roof and the impacted area is limited, I do not see a problem.  Certainly not a structural problem.  Perhaps an aesthetic problem?

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your sawmill!   

Kderby

thecfarm

ultraglide,62,must have one? Welcome to the forum. How long you been sawing?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ultraglide62

Thanks for rthe quick replies!  Sticker stain it is!  I sanded the last of my beeams and up they go this coming week.  I will not worry about the slight stain as it will be up in the air at least 15 feet and they add some character to my beams.  I will ul;timately experiment with some type of a pretty light tan stain so they will blend in well.

I have been sawing off and on for abfout 1 year just on a hobby basis.  I still have all my hands and fingers and I love playing around with my LT40. I love this forum as I have learned so much information in a short time.  Thanks for your help.

Ultraglide62 

thecfarm

Now saw out some stickers,and you will be all ready for the next time you need to dry some wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems the question has been answered...so...

Speaking of stickers, I need some in preparation for the arrival of my mill in a few weeks.  What is the best way to go about getting some?  I was thinking of resawing some purchased 2X lumber on my tablesaw and if necessary, planing them with my portable planer.  I don't know how many stickers I'll need and I suppose I'll need quite a few 2x4s or 2x6s to get enough of a supply.  Is there a better way?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

metalspinner

grweldon,

Those are going to be some mighty expensive stickers. And you will never have enough. ;)

Stack your first couple of lumber piles, then when they get down in MC, resaw then on your mill.  Pine and poplar dry really fast.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!