iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rehabilitate poorly logged land

Started by Mosquito_Swatter, June 03, 2004, 10:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mosquito_Swatter

I have about 70 acres of lowland forest (jack pine, red oak, tamarak, poplar and swamp maple) that was hi-graded about 6 years ago.  I have been trying to improve the timber stand.  So far all I have done is remove the trees damaged by the "cut and run" loggers.  Now I am looking at a fairly young forest (most stock is 25-30 years old) with lots of new growth.  Any advice on how to handle thining and continued timber stand improvement?
Dave

Gary_C

Yes, you need a management plan and I think Wisconsin has tax benefits for having a plan. Get the DNR or a consulting forester to write one for you. There are people on this forum that can give you generic advice but the hands down best advice must come from a consulting forester that has walked thru the land.

Or, you could give it to me and I could take care of it.  8)  8)

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Gary's suggestion (WI DNR or consulting forester) was right on, and if you are serious about managing, then putting your land in a 25 year Timber Mgt. program, will have a property tax advantage as well, while you improve the timber stand. You may be in the Wisconsin River 'district' which may have other implications and restrictions (govt has jumped in there with all kinds of controls on building, cutting trees, etc. for the landowner). The State just increased woodland assessment from $1000 to $3000 per acre (not sure why, but it affects the withdrawal penalty if quitting or being removed from the Timber Mgt. program where back taxes are paid -- based on what the tax would have been the year before!).  Farmland is assessed lower at near to nothing, while forested land is boosted up real high - go figure what might happen to the timbered land if it could be ag land (Why did I plant that ag field into oak and spruce ???).  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Well as Gary suggested a management plan is the first step. It will identify and prioritize your work to meet your objectives. Your area may have a silviculture program to subsidize some pre-commercial thinning (usually following set guidelines) or residual removal (often poor quality trees left after a previous harvest) and semi-commercial thinning of immature stands that may have some merchantable volume you can market while you space future crop trees. There may also be assistance in building permanent roads and watercourse alterations (bridges,culverts). Contact your local or state foresryt personal , as suggested, or woodlot association. Some associations even help with producing a management plan.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Ditto!  :P

Seek out a professional consulting forester for advice and preparation of a management plan to meet your objectives.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!