iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scaling logs

Started by Dave989, February 04, 2016, 08:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave989

I live in central Wisconsin and I am starting to buy logs an sell lumber. I am wondering what scale most sawmills use in this general area. Scribner? Doyle? International? Also are their any books or online courses that will teach me more about scaling logs? Do sawmills scale the logs and tell the logger what they will pay or is it the other way around?
Check out our Facebook page Timber Beast Sawmilling.
Dave and Hannah

sandsawmill14

i dont know what scale is used up there ??? here it is doyle. but i will say scale the logs right and thats final if loggers argue about the price is fine but if they argue about footage take the stick and scale the with him watching that should settle any dispute and i dont saw logs i buy until he is payed or at least has a load ticket telling both footage and dollar amount then if he is not happy he can come get them ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

yep, what he said, whatever the common scale is then go by that.  inside bark no heavy thumb, logs are what the are, give the advantage to the logger,  the only rule of thumb I know, sleep well at night.  On in between numbers it most often goes give and take, one side goes to you the other the logger,, best to call it close, I like the International  makes more money for the logger and you should make out with a band mill, if that's what you have,, sweepy logs and degraded ones are a different ball game, not really wanting to go there,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

In WI, pretty safe bet it is Int'l scale.
But if you can buy logs on Doyle scale, then it favors the buyer on small diam. logs (under estimates volume yield).

Int'l will come the closest to estimating the actual volume yield if you don't cut thick slabs.

Scribner is used in the West, and some in the NE US. 

Here is a document on more than you ever want to know about different log scales and the history of their making.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr01.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

beenthere i ran across that link a while back looking for a cedar scale it was pretty good smiley_thumbsup
never did find a cedar scale (if one even exists) most lead back to the international 1/4 scale
now i just buy cedar like tie logs same price same scale :)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

thanks mm you are the go to guy for everything ;) smiley_thumbsup i will ask if he might share it :)

beenthere

For the cedar rule, go to reply #9 of this thread (tks to cedarman)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=41332.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

thanks beenthere i dont see how you guys remember/find everything  smiley_thumbsup

ahlkey

In your area the mills primarily use the Scribner Decimal C log rule.  Likewise, on all Wisconsin DNR contracted lands the Scribner Decimal C log rule is required.  Mills do their own scaling but even more important than scaling is knowing your grades when buying or selling logs. 

WV Sawmiller

I don't buy logs so doesn't affect me. I have an Int'l Log Rule printed on the back of my business card for customer convenience.

Whichever scale you land on just be clear to your provider. You might keep handy sheets printed or on line for your suppliers to see and use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

do any of yall know what they are paying for hardwood tie logs when bought by the international 1/4 scale ???

luvmexfood

have found a couple of guides on the internet for free on this subject. The first is from the University of Tennessee Extension Service and is titled "A Hardwood Log Grading Handbook" and the second is from the USFS and is titled "A Guide to Hardwood Log Grading. Second book also says technical report NE 1.

I downloaded both in PDF form.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Dave989

Thanks everyone for your replies and insight.
Check out our Facebook page Timber Beast Sawmilling.
Dave and Hannah

Thank You Sponsors!