iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olympyk 962

Started by Mainesaw, November 09, 2020, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainesaw

Hey, I'm a new member to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with what should be a simple task. I just bought my first Olympyk chainsaw, a '97 model 962. I wrestled the top cover off to give the saw a much needed cleaning. The air-boot fit tightly into the top cover and was difficult to remove. Now, I'm finding it impossible to reinstall. I can either fit it to the cover, or the carb, but I can't seem to get both together at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue, can anyone give me a few pointers or maybe link a video?
 Thanks!!

dougtrr2

I had an issue reassembling my Stihl MS200T that  sounds similar.  I could put one end of the rubber boot on and clamp it, but couldn't get the other end in place.  I wound up wrapping some string around the free end, and then feeding it through the hole the boot need to go.  Then I just pulled the string and as it came off it drew the boot through the hole. 

May or may not be applicable in you case. 

Doug in SW IA

Mainesaw

Thanks for the response. I'll try that, but it doesn't clamp on the carb side. It slides inside the carb and just pressure fits, and comes out every time I try to pull/pry it into the top cover. I've never run across this before, but it is my first Oleo-Mac saw.

5000+

They have a tool, a rounded coner rectangle you tuck that boot into and then put the top cover on. When the boot ages it get stiff and is tough even with the tool.

5000+

You might be able to make one out of a pill bottle. Or try taping the top of the boot in small bunch to get thru the cover. They do get stiff and hard to work with even with the tool. Boot winds up popping out of the carb side retainer.

Mainesaw

Awesome, thanks for the info! The string method didn't pan out, but I can see how a sleeve of some sort may be just the ticket. Thanks again!👍

Thank You Sponsors!