iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon 410-120 sharpener

Started by garjess, October 13, 2022, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garjess

I just bought an Oregon 410-120.  It sharpens the right side cutters just fine but the left side have zero hook.  The cutters are also different sizes, I can't remember which side is longer but I have to adjust the cutter length everytime I switch sides.  I noticed the more expensive models have an adjustment that allow the rails to be moved so the cutter lenght is equal but I don't see a way to adjust this model.  It looks like the rails are too far back.
The zero hook problem makes this sharpener worthless as far as I'm concerned.  I bought this because tendonitis in my elbow makes it difficult to hand file and it's been nothing but frustrating.
 Am I missing something?

beenthere

Thinking  you have discovered (or uncovered) the ornery problem of a sharpener. A lot of fine adjustment needed, and hope you get it working right. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skeans1

@garjess 
Can you put up some pictures of how you have the grinder setup as well as with a picture of both a right side and left side cutter as setup in the vise with the grinder head down?

garjess

I found that switching to the 1/8 wheel I could get a little hook.  I was using the 3/16 wheel because it is a .404 chain.  There are no identifing numbers on the chain so I coul

dn't look up any specs.  Grinder was set at 55, 35, 0.  Right side cutters are a fat 1/16" longer than the left side.  You can see in the pics that the left and right side cutters contact the wheel in very different places.  There doesn't seem to be any adjustment to fix this.

Skeans1

Normally you would swing the vise side to side to compensate for that instead of the 0 it would be around 10 degrees.

bigtim

I had to look the manual up just see. Page 26 operating instructions when changing from right to left cutter, adjust length and depth if needed. I don't know about the wheel landing off center. I have never used one. Best of luck.

ladylake

Are you getting the wheel low enough?   I run a Oregon 510 and have to adjust for tooth length when switching from side to side, just so it hits the tooth real light.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

garjess

Does the wheel on your 510 contact the chain off center like my last pic?  The cutters in the pics are ground as low as I can go without cutting into the tie straps.  

ladylake

Mine hits the tooth real close to the center of the wheel. Maybe check the pivot point of the motor for a adjustment or different hole. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

The chain vice on my Tecomec (I think it's the same machine as an Oregon 510) can slide forward and back to adjust the up angle on the grind. I think it goes to 10° either way of 0°. If it was set off center and you ground the other side of the chain, I think it would do what you are experiencing. 
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

Yes on the Oregon 511 the vice will turn 10° either way and your supposed to use that on chisel chain.  I tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make any difference in cutting speed so mine has been set at 0 for the last 30 years.  Steve

barbender

Oregon harvester chain calls for the horizontal angle too, I can't remember if it's 5 or 10°. I don't know if I notice the difference either, but you sure do if you forget to reset it for the other side😬😁
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!