iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older Poulan saw information

Started by Sanford, June 18, 2006, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanford

I have recently inherited a 245 poulan and a 3400 counter-vibe Poulan saw. I haven't been able to find much about them as far as displacement or what size bars they can pull. I know they both have plenty of compression and run good with a 18" on both saws. The 245 will jerk the rope out of your hand if you aren't careful. I was also wondering about the age of the saws. Any info. is appreciated,  Thanks,  Sanford
Time and money will fix most anything, but I never have both at the same time!!!

Ianab

Hi Sanford

The 245 is 73cc and built 1971-74
The 3400 is 56cc and was first built in 1979

This site is the online bible of chainsaws, you can look up almost anything there.
Chainsaw Collectors Corner

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sanford

Thanks for the reply and link, it's no wonder they cut good with only 18" bars on them!!  The 16:1 does a good job of keeping the skeeters away too.  Sanford
Time and money will fix most anything, but I never have both at the same time!!!

Bill

Sanford

I bought a Poulan 245a new back in the late seventies. Since I only cut firewood it doesn't get much use and has lasted all these years. Still cuts pretty good. I typically use an 18" bar but have a 24" for bigger work and it pulls both just fine. I also use a small saw ( was a Poulan till it died and replaced a few years back with a Stihl 019 ) for little stuff . Since getting parts for the 245 became a problem I picked up a powerhead on eBay for parts. Comes in handy.

Feel free to PM me with questions if you like and I'll try to answer what I can.

Sanford

Bill-  The 245 was my Dad's favorite until it was too heavy to be used comfortably for him. I just mix up some fuel once a year to keep it useable, and the 3400 is still used once and a while by my brother when he needs a bigger saw. They both get the job done when asked, but my hands don't get sore running my 350 and 371xp Huskys, so the Poulans are retired/backup saws.  Sanford

Marvinlee

I bought a Poulan 3400 for $217 in March 1980.  It was my first saw.  I still have it.  It starts easily, has power, and has been cheap to maintain.  I doubt that newer Poulan saws have the same quality.  I have noticed that the weight has doubled since 1980.  It must be the heavy air here in Oregon.

tdelorme

I have an old 3400 that I bought new in 1982.  Just a great old dependable saw that starts easy and cuts good too.  You can get parts for um on eBay from several places.  I just got a new air filter for mine for about four bucks.  Only problem is the color :D

Thank You Sponsors!