iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old vs new

Started by schmism, April 23, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmism

A quick background on my saw history.

My dad always had a saw when i was growing up.  an old JohnDeere that looked like an Echo product EV25 i think it was.  Still has it, runs great, light easy to handle, was all we needed growing up liming hear and there, cutting up 8-10" and under stuff.

Then in 1994 we had a huge Ice storm, the city went nuts bought out tons of new "big" saws for the crews.  About a year later the saws started hitting the market through some of the dealers/small engine shops.  I picked up a "almost new" 039 for about $300.  Its my work horse saw.  ive got many hrs on it for a "city boy".  When we had the big storm hit his past summer, The neighbors are always kinda shocked when i emerged from the garage with the 039 with 24" bar.  "wow that is a big saw"  they say....

Ive always been "short" that little limb saw.  To be honest the 039 is just to big to weild around for liming and small stuff.  ya i can get it to do that kinda work, but its tiresome and danagous IMHO.   Not long ago my dad aquired a 010AV from a garage sale or something, and i pressed it into use.  Great saw, but its showing its age,  a bit rough to start (especally in the cold), but once fired and warmed up its a mean cutting saw with 12" bar, easy to handle, light weight etc.

IVe always longed for a newer "smaller" saw.  but as a look at the new ones im left scratching my head.....  what happened?  they all seem twice as big as they used to?!?!    Many of my neighbors stear me toward there big box store poulon or simular.  I simply grin and nod, ya ok man, you think your poulon is the shiznit i understand that.... but i want a "real saw"  ;)

Seems i MIGHT be able to find what i would expect in a "pro" av saw, but do i really want to spend twice? as much the "other" one sitting right next to it?

OH and btw can somone point me to a thread discussing the history of the sthil?  when they switched from the 0XX designation to MSXXX.

Ive been trying to figure out were my 2 older saws currently fit in a Stihls new lineup of saws, but really im at a loss based on weight and displacement.  I hear lots of talk of the MS361 (59cc) but then jumps to 70cc in a MS441

im conserned im loosing power to emissions while gaining more flimsy plastic parts in the search for few oz of weight savings....

discuss:
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

pbuehning

Hey go to this site and drill into it, you'll find all the info you need. 8)

http://www.acresinternet.com
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

windthrown

Stihl flipped the numbers from 0xx to MSxx0 a few years ago. Basically most of the saws are the same, with some minor modifications like flippey-thingey oil and gas caps instead of screw caps. Some saw model lines like the 029/031/039 line are pretty much the same as the newer 290/310/390. Your 039 is now the MS390, which has some other modifications like a decomp button for easier starting. The 036 became the 360, then was completely redesigned into the 361, which is one of the latest updates from Stihl with a spring suspension. 
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Lanier_Lurker

I got myself an MS390 3 years ago and I have been pleased with it.  However, I must admit that this is the first decent saw I have ever owned - so my opinion about good performance of a 64cc saw may be lacking some seasoning.  But, I can always get it cranked and it has more than sufficent power to drive a 105dl loop of full skip chain around a 32" bar and through 28" diameter southeastern hardwoods.

If you think the neighbors take note of a 24" bar, you should see their reaction when you come strolling out of the garage with a 32"!  :D :D

I know I may get some grief from some of the folks here about running a 32" bar on a saw that is under 4 cubic inches.  And to be sure, I was very careful at first as I have seen what a chainsaw can do to human flesh and bone.  But, it has been very well behaved and worked beautifully on a large white oak that fell in a windstorm last year - and an even larger water oak my dad had taken down by some professionals.  It is amazing how well full skip chain that is kept sharp will cut.

Obviously, most of the time I use the stock 20" bar.

I looked at the website that pbuehning provided above but there is not much info on the 039.  What I would like to know is how the 039 and MS390 compare on weight.  The Stihl web site lists the MS390 powerhead at 13 pounds.

Simonian

You may find a better saw made by another company and not sold in a big box store.
Do some more checking before you buy a Stihl

pbuehning

The 039 is approx 14.5 to 15 lbs without a bar and chain and certainly a decent, well built saw that will last a long time if taken care of.  That said, it could get pricey if you need to get into the P & C.  If you are running your saw allot, you might want to concider a "Pro" grade saw.  Pro meaning: built to be serviced, rebuilt and more output than a homeowner grade.  The 039 is similiar to the 390.  I've been running a 290 (same series saw just a little smaller) for several years and thought it was the cat's a** untill my wife gave me a 361 for Christmas, this year.  Honestly, I haven't even put fuel in the 290 since I got the 361.  They are day and night different.  I still lug the 290 along as a backup but the 361 wears a 18 B&C and screams thru the wood.  And when asked, pulls a 25 with skip chain just fine (light touch and let it eat).  If you want allot more info and opinions try reading the AS site.
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

SawTroll

The MS390 empty powerhead weights about halv a pound more than Stihl will admit, according to independant test reports by DLG and KWF (6.1 vs 5.9 kg).

The same was the case with the 039, in 1999.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!