iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks Are Out - It's Officially Spring

Started by DeepCreek, March 08, 2014, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepCreek

First tick bite of the year.  smiley_furious

And just a few days ago it was in the 20s here. Oh well, time to start applying the bug juice before venturing out.  :'(

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DeepCreek

Yep, hardly any bugs out at all, and none of the biting kind, with that one miserable exception. It was a brown dog tick.

Emphasis on the was.

coxy

still to darn cold here and to much         SNOW >:( >:( >:( >:(

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

We had a horrible year for them last year. I hope they ease up some this year.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red oaks lumber

just saw 2 headed south with their little snowshoes and backpacks on with a sign that read deepcreek or bust! :D :D
we wont see bare ground till may let alone ticks :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all are full of Syrup......ain't no Tics out yet!  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I see black flies first. Or really should say,I FEEL black flies first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on March 09, 2014, 07:42:14 PM
I see black flies first. Or really should say,I FEEL black flies first.

Snow fleas first  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Good

We have been pulling ticks off the cat all winter , but no skeeters or snakes yet . Red

Had a big skunk in the flowerbeds today , broad daylight . about 4 pm , really didn't seem to concerned when I hollered at him . He should have been .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

loggah

The ticks may be out here,if they are there still under a foot and half of snow.  ;D there have been a few snowfleas out tho.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

I'm wondering if our extended frigid temps here in Michigan has any effect on any of the insect pests. I suppose ticks are in leave duff or what ever and pretty insulated. I imagine the one thing in this are that could have taken a knock ( I hope) is gypsy moths due to the way they lay eggs. They were exposed to 20'-25° below zero a few times, so maybe that will take care of them. I wonder about EAB?  We had some really cold weather. Not sure what temp they can be killed at.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I hope it killed the bad bugs,but I'm not counting on it. Slowed them down,that might happen.  :)  Seem like something bad you can't get rid off,but some nice flowers or shrubs die and never come back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No ticks today but another sure sign of Spring is Pat making me trim the Crepe Myrtles.  All eight of them got trimmed as per her instructions today.

Today was our 4th day in a row in the 70's, and we are forecast to reach near 70° or better for the next week.  I may not have to bring up any more firewood.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You need to get away from the house and go saw some logs...........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Hopefully no ticks next week, just logs....Walnut Logs.   ;D

21incher

Has Lyme disease spread to the ticks in the south yet?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DeepCreek

Quote from: 21incher on March 11, 2014, 11:46:15 AM
Has Lyme disease spread to the ticks in the south yet?

Yes, from what I understand.

Worse, the lone star tick bite can cause an allergy to mammal meat (aka alpha-galactin allergy).

Magicman

Wick

Oh yeah, it's been down here a long time. Not sure exactly when it came about. But I know of several people having it. One of my coworkers ex-wife got it and she is disabled. Can't work.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Ron Scott

RE:  DEER TICKS & LYME DISEASE - MAYBE IT'S NOT THE DEER SO MUCH?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/06/12/1204536109.full.pdf+html

Deer, Predators, and the Emergence of Lyme Disease

Abstract
Lyme disease is the most prevalent vector-borne disease in North America, and both the annual incidence and geographic range are increasing. The emergence of Lyme disease has been attributed to a century-long recovery of deer, an important reproductive host for adult ticks. However, a growing body of evidence suggests that Lyme disease risk may now be more dynamically linked to fluctuations in the abundance of small-mammal hosts that are thought to infect the majority of ticks. The continuing and rapid increase in Lyme disease over the past two decades, long after the recolonization of deer, suggests that other factors, including changes in the ecology of small-mammal hosts may be responsible for the continuing emergence of Lyme disease. We present a theoretical model that illustrates how reductions in small-mammal predators can sharply increase Lyme disease risk. We then show that increases in Lyme disease in the northeastern and midwestern United States over the past three decades are frequently uncorrelated with deer abundance and instead coincide with a range-wide decline of a key small-mammal predator, the red fox, likely due to expansion of coyote populations. Further, across four states we find poor spatial correlation between deer abundance and Lyme disease incidence, but coyote abundance and fox rarity effectively predict the spatial distribution of Lyme disease in New York. These results suggest that changes in predator communities may have cascading impacts that facilitate the emergence of zoonotic diseases, the vast majority of which rely on hosts that occupy low trophic levels.

~Ron

Jeff

We took a tick off of Harley today. He had to get it here, as he hasn't been anywhere else.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Took 5 off me in the LeRoy area due west of you last week. Was just in and out of the truck a few times checking game cameras.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!