iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you doing today?

Started by clww, January 26, 2014, 02:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Somehow, I'm in between sawjobs right now, so I figured I'd go and look at a new one, the guy said he has 9 logs from trees that were taken down in a neighbors yard!

I did tell him about the contract and explained the quickest way to find metal in a log!

He said he wants them sawed and will pay any damages.

Best thing is it's only 5 miles from home.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Going to get back on a small siding order, had a nice day yesterday, brought pizza up for my uncle Jess, 90 years old!  He's is a Navy vet, not sure they  make them like they use to, these ole timers are some tuff nuts!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Got myself way too hot working the previous two days (94 Tuesday and 97 Wednesday), so I'm taking today OFF. ;D It was still 84 at 11:00 last night when we headed off to sleep.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

Big storm last night a farmer was given a lot in town with big cotton wood trees now 3 are down and he don't have a chain saw and he knows I have two big saws.
and he has  a big grove of ash may be there is a deal in the makeing
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

yukon cornelius

same thing I have done for a few months now  8) making log porch swings. i have 2 done of my order for 6 done for this weekend. I best get busy!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Jeff

Today my goal is to rid my property of some obvious widow makers in the area around where I intend to eventually build the cabin. There are several I have noticed that makes me nervous having other people walk around the site.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I am off today and have a date with my bride.   smiley_love
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I've got everything packed and ready to pull out in the morning!!!!! Today is going to drag.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I cut, split and delivered a load of wood from downed trees for my brother's garage stove.  Just saw Moose #4 cross the road on my way back.

pineywoods

Finished splitting next winters supply of red oak firewood, thanks to help from neighbor and his hired hand. We had two 25 ton splitters running non-stop from 7 am till noon. It's piled out in the open sun and breeze, should be plenty dry by fall, then it gets stacked in the barn. All this from 2 trees and one punky log from my sawmill log pile.     

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

I will only show a picture if anyone wants to see.  But the wife,(said she did not hit it that hard) broke the bracing  on the steering front end of the  mower, so I have it tore apart.  It started with the 5 cent fix on the steering arm, and now I have it all apart.  Hot and humid as you would expect.  Just got to love it!  I still believe that many times the high carbon sheet metal is not the answer for high vibration applications, it seems to be prone to breaking, regardless if you hit a large rock.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

Quote from: drobertson on July 12, 2014, 08:20:49 PM
it seems to be prone to breaking, regardless if you hit a large rock.

You got rocks too?  I hit a couple every single round.  Last Monday one of the three blades stop cutting so I dropped the deck.  Simple problem, the pulley on that shaft had stripped cogs.  But than I noticed that spindle had some end play so I pressed the shaft out and discovered a bad seat.  So than I checked the next spindle and the mount for it was cracked.  Oh well, might as well order three new spindles.  Than I happened to notice big chucks missing out of the belt.  Since I can't do grass until parts get here, might as well sharpen the blades.  Surprised they would even cut.  Than I noticed one of the height wheels with a really bad wobble.

Good thing for the internet and Jacks Small Engines.  I beamed $200 off to Jack last Tuesday and he promised to have new parts on my doorstep Monday evening.  And the grass don't care a lick.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

They just dont seem to make lawn mowers that will mow sandstone do they larry?  Maybe a couple of those delta HD shaper spindles would fix your problem.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Larry, not sure which one she hit, but am thinking it's the big one that fell of the disk. Either way, it did the damage.  All said, a good overhaul never hurts anything, just another opportunity to learn a lil more.

clww

Best thing may be to invest in some goats. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

That looks a whole lot like work. At least you have a nice spot for it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Yes it is Lee, shade all day only a small window of sun and that is when we break for lunch.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

drobertson

here is the mower, with a view of the broken front arm.  Looks like some minor body work in the morning.

left side

right side

This is probably the best part on the machine,  hope this works the yard is growing pretty fast,

WDH

Like Larry said in another thread, the grass won't care. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!