iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stator issues

Started by coppolajc10, September 16, 2014, 03:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coppolajc10

Last week I was milling some nice aspen logs into 2.5" horse flooring.  As some had suggested in other threads on here, I left all the boards on the mill until the cant was milled through, and that really helped with keeping the boards flat.  It did not help in draining my battery  ;D, but also helped reveal a charging problem. Had to jump start my mill with my truck  :D.  With engine running full throttle I had only 12.2 volts at the battery.  Checked the voltage coming out of the stator, and that was zero.  Also resistance on stator terminals was infinite.  So today I removed the flywheel to see what was going on with the stator.  Everything looked fine at first, all magnets were still on the flywheel, wire firmly connected to stator, and I was thinking "what the heck."  If you look closely at the stator below, you'll see a break in the wire at the top of the center winding post. Copper wire corroded right through.  You can actually see the same thing happening on the last post on the right.  Anyway, thought I'd share in case you come across this yourself.  Thanks, Jake.

Chuck White

Thanks for sharing, Jake!

This info could be very helpful to lots of forum members at times!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

Will you try to repair it or buy a new one?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

coppolajc10

New one already on order hackberry jake.  Don't have the time right now to mess with it, even if I knew how  :-[.

36 coupe

That would have been an easy repair.Fix the old one and keep it on hand.Costs money to be lazy.

coppolajc10

Forgot to say earlier, thank you Chuck for your comments.  36 coupe, thanks for your feedback too, stupid question probably, but how do you fix a stator wire like that? Not too great with wires.   electricuted-smiley Thanks, Jake.

Thank You Sponsors!