iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

French carpentry tool question, bisaigue or twybil

Started by Addirondack, March 08, 2015, 12:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Addirondack

Hi guys,

I'm a Frenchman living in Virginia and my wife and I plan to start building our timber frame home this year.

I did a little bit of carpentry on the farm back home in France. I used a tool that I really liked, it's called a bisaigue or twybil in English I believe. It's extremely handy for a lot of things, it gives you a lot of control and leverage. And it's tough. I could not break the handle on that one!

Here is a picture:
ttp://www.hmdiffusion.com/rftp/sat/articles/bisaigue-mo.jpg
"NOTICE, OFF SITE PICTURES ARE NOT ALLOWED, PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW FORUM RULES. THANK YOU. MODERATOR."

And here in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCdJJgFd8I

Do you know anybody that sell it in the US? or will I have to ask my blacksmith friend to make me one?

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

Dave Shepard

Welcome! A twybil is different than a bisaigue. I've seen one in person, but doubt there is a US source for one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Heartwood

Barr Specialty Tools in Idaho has made them in the past, but it's probably expensive being a custom item. There are a few of his around the US.
I, too thought a twybil was different, or at least a short version of the bisaigue. The shape is the same, but size different. Paring chisel on one end and a mortising chisel on the other, with a handle in the middle.
The new French book Charpente that is now available in English translation through the Compagnons book store calls the bisaigue a twybil, so go figure. They're probably different names for the same tool, and the French version is bigger.

Addirondack

Thank you guys,

Well, I guess it means that I will have to make my own. I will post the process on the forum.

Cheers

M

S.Hyland

Hot Dog! 8) I want one of those!  8) Looks very handy
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Chilterns

One of the Oxfordshire Woodland Group members has a French bisaigue and this can be seen on a post made on the OWG forum - Bisaigue topic.

My understanding from Ken is that Barr Quarton made one of these (slightly smaller) to a measured design supplied to him by Paul Russell of his French bisaigue and this was given as a prize to someone at the TFG Franklin Pearce rendezvous. The "replica" tool made by Barr was identical to the original (just more shiny) and so that would probably be the best place to start in a quest to source one of these tools in the USA.

Chilterns

Heartwood

That bisaigue is auctioned off repeatedly at Guild conferences and thus makes the rounds for members to use and pass on.
I expect to see it at the October conference in Coeur d"Alene, Idaho and Barr will probably be demonstrating there as it's close to home for him.

Satamax

Mathieu, a twybill is most certainly closer to the old french tool called "piochon"

And as for getting one, why don't you look at leboncoin. May be your family could pick one up and sent it to you?

The only thing is to check that the bottom of the chisel part is not too pited. I would say, get the longest you can. I like the way you can rest the upper shaft on your shoulder to keep the angle constant while working on the "chantiers" (low trestles)
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

NickJ

Hi, I'm a British carpenter/joiner living in France. I've noticed that the main difference with French framing chisels in comparison with those from the UK and the States is the lack of any wooden handles. The french chisels seem to be forged from one piece of steel and as such are best hit with a lump hammer... Anyway from the video you posted the tool you are searching for seems to be doing the same job as a Slick, in that it's shown cleaning up the end of a joint... If that is all that is required, then could you not just purchase a Slick?

Thank You Sponsors!