iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solstice

Started by dgdrls, December 21, 2013, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Today at 17:11 UTC (12:11 EST) the Sun will be as far south as it can go, and we call that moment the winter solstice.

Winter for those of us on the northern hemisphere,
longer days are in sight 8)
DGDrls

Ianab

And longest day for us. Start of "real" Summer.  ;D

Of course it's supposed to rain...  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

Summer is on the way  . 8) 8) 8) 8) :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fuzzybear

7 1/2 minutes more day light a day for us.  with only 5 hours of light a day it is greatly appreciated.   Still 5 weeks until the sun returns to our valley.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

red oaks lumber

yup now we start coming back out of the tunnel :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

thecfarm

We only gain just a little daylight for a few months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

Yes sir, longer days then nights , ain't that something to kick ones heels together .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ken

If I'm not mistaken I think we will be getting about 2 minutes more of daylight/day after the winter solstice. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

sawguy21

I don't care, we are gaining. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

We are going in the right direction now. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

Quote from: Ken on December 22, 2013, 06:56:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think we will be getting about 2 minutes more of daylight/day after the winter solstice.

In a month's time that's a whole hour.  8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fuzzybear

The amount you gain depends on where you are. Farther south it's about 2 min., but north of 60 we gain 7 1/2 min every day until summer solstice when the sun never sets.

FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

Seem like in my area we don't really gain much until March. Or maybe it just seems that way.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on December 22, 2013, 06:39:48 PM
Seem like in my area we don't really gain much until March. Or maybe it just seems that way.

As long as the days get longer  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

It will be so hot we won't be able to stand it before long. ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Brucer

The equinox is when the amount of daylight changes the most each day. That's why we really notice it in March and September.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Stephen1

My favourite day,  this time of year
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jtmccallum

The sun was still pretty low today.  But we had sun. :)  Lot of folks south of us still without power. :new_year:
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Thank You Sponsors!