iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no more smoke

Started by yukon cornelius, June 29, 2014, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

The first three days without smokes is the hardest or was for me.  You're on day four 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

yukon cornelius

hi im larry and im a filthy rotten smoker....its been 5 days since my last puff  :D so far still tough. I think I will be able to kick the butt again. my wife is making it like a pro but I struggle.

supposedly it takes 30 days to make a habit...

when I win the powerball tomorrow it will be easier to quit  8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

I can stand in a line at a store or a bank and smell them things on people. Sometimes even in the car in front of me driving in town, YUK,I use to smell like that??  :o ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

Hang in there, Yukon!

thecfarm, not only the smell!  I stopped at a convenience store the other day for coffee (Hi, my name is Pete, and I'm an addict ...), and i heard this low gravelly voice at the other register, and I'm thinking, "Oh yeah, that guys gotta be a smoker!", and I turned and it was a woman!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Skidder Kev

congrats yukon,   keep with it and stay strong through those cravings.    Both my wife and I quit she was about a pack a day and i was getting close to 2.  we did it cold turkey and both had our moments.  The toughest part I think was the breaking the habit like you said.  Today July 2nd is our 1 year smoke free and we both feel better then ever.
kev

yukon cornelius

Quote from: kculler on July 02, 2014, 03:28:01 PM
congrats yukon,   keep with it and stay strong through those cravings.    Both my wife and I quit she was about a pack a day and i was getting close to 2.  we did it cold turkey and both had our moments.  The toughest part I think was the breaking the habit like you said.  Today July 2nd is our 1 year smoke free and we both feel better then ever.
kev

congrats to you guys! when we have quit before it was cold turkey. today was not terrible. its all down hill from here.

m wood

I've tried cold turkey and failed a half dozen times.  I'm 2 months quit right now.  I'm using a e-cig and it sure helps with the habit part.  I've got my nic level down under 12 now and feeling real good about that. Way to go and good luck yukon cornelius.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

yukon cornelius

update!! failed today>:( terrible day today finding out that all my work so far this week has been for free. an error in or weight estimate for a large order caused a more than double in shipping cost. this means I will break even on 3 days work prepaid item from a website custom order with policies against additional charges to the customer >:( >:( >:( >:( :-[ :'( totally my fault!!

I sent the wife for smokes this evening. I will have to revisit quitting later.

in 1 Corinthians it says the lord will not give me more than I can bear....he has seriously underestimated what I can handle.

hamish

If you want to quit you can quit, if you have the mental capacity to do so.
Smoked 1-2 packs a day for half my life, quit cold turkey over 3 years ago.  Quitting smoking paid for my mill in less than two years and has led to a lot of "other" tools, let alone feeing better.

The hardest part is the first few days then the first few weeks.  Like alcoholics if you hang around em on a regular basis its easier for you to slip back to your old ways.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

beenthere

I can't believe the price on a pack of smokes these days. Got to have plenty of spare cash to buy them. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

yukon cornelius,sorry to hear about that. The smoking part!! Keep at it. Don't give up. As I said,I bet I quit 100 times or more. You will beat them nasty things!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Yukon, if you have to, finish that pack and then Don't Buy Another !!!!!!

I quit a hundred times. Sometimes for 2 years. Quit again a few weeks ago. Got a tooth infection, figured it was 'C' and I was done for and smoked a pack ( I rolled my own with filters... way cheaper and my hands were usually too dirty to smoke much)
I quit again a couple weeks ago. Had the tooth out....there is nothing like tooth extractions to make a person quit......

I'm totally done with it. A couple times a day I think it would be nice but the feeling I'm looking for doesn't really come from the nicotine. It comes from taking a minute to regroup. The nicotine doesn't really make a situation more bearable any more than slapping yourself would.

Get yourself back on the quit list !!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Andy White

Y.C.
Get back on the wagon, so you can help me. I turned 20 years old in 1970, setting on the tarmac at Camp Pendleton ,awaiting transport to my next duty station. Not a good occasion for sure, but I smoked my first cigarette that day, and been doing it until July 12th this month. almost 44 years to the day! Had a really good checkup from doctor, and decided that maybe it was not too late to try quitting. It will be 21 days tomorrow, and every thing is working out better than I had hoped for.  It seems to be easier to resist the urge than to go to the store for more. Maybe that is what it is all about with breaking habits. Try again, and know that you are not alone
The hardest for me is while driving, and we are about to go to the Pig Roast! If I make that trip, I will have it whipped!!! 8) 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

Andy,you will make it!!!

redprospector

Quote from: yukon cornelius on July 24, 2014, 10:43:58 PM
update!! failed today>:( terrible day today finding out that all my work so far this week has been for free. an error in or weight estimate for a large order caused a more than double in shipping cost. this means I will break even on 3 days work prepaid item from a website custom order with policies against additional charges to the customer >:( >:( >:( >:( :-[ :'( totally my fault!!

I sent the wife for smokes this evening. I will have to revisit quitting later.

in 1 Corinthians it says the lord will not give me more than I can bear....he has seriously underestimated what I can handle.
Yukon,
I believe that you'll find that the Lord said that you would have no temptation except that which is common to man, without a means of escape. The Father does not under estimate.  ;D
Now I'll tell you my story.
I started dipping Skoal when I was 8 years old because the older "cool" guys were doing it. I started smoking soon after that. I started driving a truck when I was out of school, and I could suck down 2 packs of Pal Mal's a day without thinking twice about it.
I quit once for a year or so, I wanted one just as bad the day I started back as I did when I quit.
I was about 38 when I decided to try to quit again. I took up dipping Copenhagen to ease the cravings (bad mistake). I did quit smoking, but I had just traded one bad habit for a worse bad habit. I finally hit the end of my rope 4 years ago, I went to the doctor and asked her if Chantix would help me quit dipping. She didn't know, so we decided to try it.
With Chantix there are a few possible side effects, a couple of them are life threatening, yep, those are the ones I had...swelling of tongue and such. I had to quit the Chantix after 2 weeks, but it was just enough to get me over the hump. We prayed me through it, and it's been 4 years and 2 months to the day that I've been tobacco free.

God will give you a means of escape. Take it.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

yukon cornelius

I know the lord doesn't underestimate! in the same verse, if I remember right, it says there is an escape. he makes no mistakes.

as far as the situation that caused the relapse, it may work out better than we had originally planned ;D so all the worry for nothing.

we smoke 1 pack a day between the wife and I combined.

we have so much on our plates its crazy!! I hate the relapse but we will kick it again soon. we don't hang around any other smokers, well, because we hang around anyone but each other. I believe it is what sprucebunny said about the moment to regain composure. addiction runs in my family and I have kicked drinking and chewing. but smoking is a tough one!

thanks for the encouragement! we will try again soon!

redprospector

I'm glad all the worry was for nothing.
I know you'll succeed, you've just got to want it.....BAD.
Don't take me wrong, I just want to encourage you in quitting.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

timberlinetree

I'm lucky smoking tobacco makes me sick so I don't smoke. Just woundering if their is something you can put on the cigarette to make it taste funny/sick so they aren't enjoyable. For thumb sucking hot sauce on the thumbwould work great and was a good fix. Our prayers go out to both of you. Stay close to beliefs. And congratulations to those who are smoke free and good luck to those who are fighting the battle.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Magicman

You made me smile Andy.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CTYank

Congratulations and best wishes to all who keep up the fight. Don't give up easy.

I used to smoke pipes and cigars, steadily. Then one May day 5 yrs ago, a little voice within said something like "No mo!". There are times when I might even be induced to grab a good cigar. An IPA or a glass of red wine diverts my attention totally.

A real side benefit is that quitting paid for my new saw. If I could quit that nasty & expensive eating habit, that'd pay for a portable sawmill.  8)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

brianb88

After smoking at least 15 years I quit cold turkey June '07.  The first week was pretty tough but luckily after that I could hardly stand the smell and I felt much better.  Inexplicably I started back in April of '12 just one here and there.  I haven't had one since now since last Christmas.  I could kick myself for ever starting back but I feel so much better now. 

I wish anyone trying to quit the willpower to throw them away.  Somebody once told me that quitting was easy.  The key they said was, "if you don't put one in your hand you cannot smoke/drink it".  Pretty simple really but it struck a nerve for me. 
Measure twice, cut once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Woodhauler

I smoked 3 packs a day of camel non filters! Started when i was 15 or so. Quit in the spring of 1998, 16 years ago! Got up one morning when i was working in West Virginia And gave a half a carton of cigs  to one of the guys down there working with us! Never picked another one up!  YOU CAN DO IT!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!