iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Did you figure out why you fell?  The video seems to show your left leg tripping over a slab or stick extending out of the pile. 

I'm thinking there might be some learning for the rest of us in this incident.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OlJarhead

Yep and you nailed it.

I was not paying attention and the slash pile was haphazardly dumped there and one piece was sticking out sideways.

The lessons here are:  don't be in a hurry, be neat and deliberate and when walking backwards MAKE SURE the path is clear! 

I could have been hurt there, specially with my back issues (as well as wrists etc) but managed to roll with it ok.

Meanwhile, we took some of the wood I milled back in the spring and did this:
Must See! Saving Our Offgrid Cabin Outhouse! #sawmill #offgridcabinbuild - YouTube

I'm super stoked actually -- I know, an outhouse?  But I hate leaving anything to fall apart and now it's shaping up to be the Taj McPrivy!  Woot!  8) :o
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

TimW

Yep, keeping it neat around the mill helps staying upright.  Large pieces of bark layered up can topple you also. 
                 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

SawyerTed

It is easy to let a "housekeeping" item become dangerous.   

Not chastising because I'm guilty too!

Maybe some of Eric's followers, me included, will avoid something similar or worse by learning from his incident.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OlJarhead

Yes!  This.

I don't hide my mistakes for that reason ;)  Others might learn by it.

Keeping the mill area clean is important and I've fallen prey to it more than I'd care to admit...I'm usually charging ahead, *DanG the topedo's and full steam ahead!

And got bit ;)

OlJarhead

On a side note, I left the sawmill at my cabin this past weekend.  I'd taken it up to run some logs through it but never got there.  I was too busy trying to get the insulation under the porch floor and the hardware cloth under that to keep the rats from stealing it all.  :o

I did get more trees felled and bucked and even stacked where it will be easy to move them to the sawmill yard and I fixed the tractor too which had a broken joystick.  So, got all that done, and left the cabin after emptying the lube jug and literally blowing in the feed tube to push some of the water out since my compressor was packed  ;D :o ::)

I hope I cleared enough of the water mix out when I did because it's getting into the TEENS now!

I also attempted to blow out the water lines but something was amiss.  I need to rig up a new way to blow them out because my taps are getting to where they seem to get plugged.  I put in a debris screen finally but it was a day late I guess.  So, the week after next I'll go back and hope and prey everything worked out!

Meanwhile, I finally got video one of milling for old joe out today!  He's a neat old guy who did some amazing woodworking and is still at it.  The trees were blown down in a storm this spring and I offered to mill them up for him so he could do more projects.

I recently told someone that one reason I could do that (for free) and not worry about band costs, fuel etc, is because of all my YT viewers!  So, to all here that watch, thank you!  I'm hoping to do more of that (milling up for folks in need who can't afford it, or maybe could be it's a good cause) and YT is making that possible for me.  So again, THANK YOU!

Hard at it near the end of the day.

Joe asking about the different species.

You can't really tell but he was loving it!

He kept saying things like "This is amazing!" and "I've got projects!"

The grandsons helped out and the one on the right actually ran the mill.  It was tough trying to teach with the noise level but he understand better now and wants to do more!  The younger one (left here) ran the hydraulics and metal detector etc - and they both ran cameras and were great at doing that!  They both want to do more filming and these two are the entire reason I began to get serious about YT in the first place...they were the instigators from the start.

OlJarhead

And here's the video I did for Old Joe  :)  I'll be working on more from this day but I decided to try to show the entire day in one video including the spring when I moved the logs :D

Enjoy!
From Storm to Sawmill: Salvaging His Fallen Trees! #sawmilling #woodmizer - YouTube 

OlJarhead

I had fun with this one ;)  More rock, less talk!
Watch this Woodmizer Sawmill in Action! Sawmilling Pine for Uncle Joe! - YouTube

I have a few more from the "Uncle Joe" series to get out yet and hope to have them out this week.

Thanks to all that watch my videos I was able to do this for Joe for free.  No charge at all.  He's a pretty neat guy and Darci thinks of him as 'Uncle Joe' though we don't actually see him very often.  I've always been impressed by his carvings and paintings and am only too happy to contribute and give him more wood to work with in the future.

I'd also like to thank all of you and though I only mention Jake in this video and the previous (not linked here) if it weren't for all of you I wouldn't have all these little tidbits to share :)

Peter Drouin

Nice job on the outhouse. I know it isn't all about $$ sometimes.
Relative or not. 
To some, it's all about the $$. Makes me sick. I stay away from them. Till they show up here, then they get a special price. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

You can see an example of the magnets on Friday, I have several, but the most important one holds my coffee cup 😝
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Thanks Peter.  Money is important ;)  But I have always wanted to help others if it made sense to do so.  In Joe's case he's just a neat old guy that I hope and pray will get the chance to make something out of that lumber once it's dried.

Now, the Taj McPrivy LOL that will get finished one day but it'll be on the back burner until spring now as the dark time is here!  I was milling this week up there and ran out of daylight by 4PM....could have gotten more milling in had I not had to remove fencing first but now I hope to get back in a week and crank out more lumber for the cabin build.

Cheers

OH and Kevin, yup, saw those and know where I can get some.  They are the same type I use for my camera mount just smaller.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Here are a few pics I took from that day (Nov 10)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

When I get a log like that I will climb up 

and sit on the back of the operator's seat so that I can look over the log and see the blade guide.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

I like it!!  I still need to get Kevin's seat so I can try it out as my back is not treating me nicely (or maybe I'm not treating it right).

The ablations helped but I guess that meant I just did more and aggravated the herniated disc.  walking isn't much fun anymore.

Nealm66

Really liked the video. As I'm in the hunt for a new sawmill it really helps seeing how well that lt40 handled that large log and made perfect slices with a highly skilled sawyer operating it. Im thinking of the lt50 with the wireless but a call to woodmizer says it's a 46 week wait so watching the used market. Sad to hear your back is giving you issues as I really enjoy and learn a lot from your videos 

Peter Drouin

I do the same thing MM  ;) for the BIG ones.

OLJarhead, When you work with a chair, you will ask why did I not do this years ago.
Make a cut to the end, step off and the wood is right there, set it out past the sawdust winrow.

If you have help, you will be waiting for them because you will be flying back for the next cut at top speed, Then you will hit the down handle before you get to the end of the log. for the next cut. :D :D :D :D

When I was on the road cutting alone, In the pix I could take 5 or 6 boards off at I time. pivot the bunch on the cant and puch.  :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

The slab pile you see is from the first bunch of logs I cut. I would put the slabs close, as long as I could hook the mill to the truck, Like MM says I cut them and leave them, or something like that. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Nealm66 on November 28, 2023, 08:30:09 PM
Really.....
Thanks!  And don't worry!  I ain't stopping, just slowing down!  A little 😉

Magicman

Looks like I ain't slowing down....but speeding up  :o   Help Help !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SgtHavocUSMC

Semper Fi Marine, Keep up the great work. We are just getting ready to get our sawmill here in Maryland on the Farm I manage. Really looking forward to it. We have 300+ black walnut trees in an orchard the previous owner started growing many years ago. We also have about 30 acres of wooded acreage that we are working on thinning out to allow the younger trees to flourish.

beenthere

Sgt
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Tell us more about the orchard of walnut trees. Sounds very interesting. When planted? A few pics.. we like photos
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

Semper Fi Brother!

If you have any questions THIS is the place to be!  I cut my teeth here and in part that's why I do my videos (to share what I learn here).

Welcome!

OlJarhead

I might have to change this to "@crossroads Milling Thread" LOL   but I'm happy to send work his way when I'm trying to only mill at the cabin and since I left the mill up there for the winter...
This log was pretty ugly and required some work to get it on the deck but Kevin has been at it a while and knows what needs to be done.

This is NOT Quarter Sawing and it's NOT Wrong! #sawmilling #sawmill #woodmizer - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!