iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Morals

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, May 12, 2004, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Just got back from our cabin in the eastern pan handle of WV. I am not happy to report that I did not find one Moral mushroom.  :'(
Last year the woods were full of them. The locals say it has been a bad year for them.

Anyone else finding them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Sad to report that the rains did not come at the appointed time here in southern Indiana.  Instead of the usual couple of pounds of morrels we found about a dozen black, blonde and grey ones.
As for morals, those seem to be in short supply these days also ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

They're finding quite a few around here, but they say that last year was better. I also see them being sold along the road sides.
~Ron

Horsewood

I've never heard of or seen these here in Virginia.  Looked 'em up on the web and see that they look like big ol' peanuts.  Is there a favorite/popular way to use/eat them?  Teach me, please... I'd like to learn! :P

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

My favorite way to cook em is to heat up a non stick fry pan with some olive oil and butter. Do not wash them just wipe off any dirt or bugs, cut in half if they're big ones. Dregde them in flour and then dip in beaten eggs. They are delicate so don't overcook.

Mark M

Ya scared me there for a minute, I thought this was another politician post. :D

Sawyerfortyish

We picked bushells of em last year but so far this year I found one and that was in my lawn in front of my kids play house. Whats goin on anyway it's gettin late where are they?

L. Wakefield

QuoteMy favorite way to cook em is to heat up a non stick fry pan with some olive oil and butter. Do not wash them just wipe off any dirt or bugs, cut in half if they're big ones. Dregde them in flour and then dip in beaten eggs. They are delicate so don't overcook.

One thing if you do choose to wash them- take the water and throw it out near- elms, cedars, and/or or wood ashes. Those all 3 are reputed to encourage morel growth. When I last investigated them there was a *long* life-cycle involving formation of a sclerotium, I think it was- a dormant form that may take years to decide to wake up and do the fruiting thing.

Mine surfaced once about 3 years ago- sure enough, in an area where there was an elm growing, I had used cedar bark mulch, and I had fertilized with wood ash. Albeit that I prayed the proper mushroom prayers as I put the washwater with (presumably) contained spores, nothing more has grown.  

They are such *excellent* eating. There is a story that you do have to cook them- but I nibbled some raw before I knew that and I am still around..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!