Work/Assembly table

Started by tacks Y, March 19, 2023, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Working on

my bench and I am thinking of cross strips for more support. The board shows one location 2 x 1 1/2" inside the legs, a 3 x 1 1/2" in the center.

My concern is will this warp the top with humidity change, the length opposite the top grain?   

Larry

Several ways to handle it, the one I use depends on the project at hand, and sometimes which side of the bed I get up on.

This is the method I would use for your bench.  Put 3 (or more) 3/8" threaded wood inserts in your top.  Drill three holes in the cross piece.  Elongate two of the holes to about 3/4" long with a router.  These two holes will allow the top to move with changes in humidity.  Tighten the one bolt in the round hole good but only tighten the two bolts in the slotted holes snug.

If you want to know how much your top will move with the weather go here.  You could also calculate how long to make the slotted holes.
Shrinkulator
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

Do you have the legs pocket screwed to the top? 

How thick is the top? 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tacks Y

I put pocket screws into the 2 1/8" top. It is made from 1" hard maple.

tacks Y

Larry, After looking at the Shrinkulator I have a head ache.

I do not think it addresses my concern of shrinkage of the the glued up top compared to compared to the length. So cross grain versus horizontal grain. 

beenthere

It will shrink and swell (i.e. move) across the grain. Likely can ignore along the grain movement. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

You can build it just like a dining table with aprons.  Attach the top with z clips that allow for wood movement.  Or you can make your own clips out of wood.  I always attach the middle of each end tight with screws to the apron, then use the clips for the rest of each end and all along the long sides.  This allows movement, but keeps the top centered on the base.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

If you do like Larry says with a couple routered slots on the cross pieces, use an elongated expansion washer behind the screw head. These are also used on aprons on the short ends of the table. Wood will likely move 1/16" every 8" in width.

Expansion Washers - Lee Valley Tools

An idea of Chris Becksvoort, the well-known, German born, Maine author/craftsman.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2019/08/31/meet-the-author-c-h-becksvoort
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))