iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stopping checking/cracking on Cypress boards

Started by LaneC, August 16, 2018, 04:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I have some 2"x17" freshly planed Cypress boards. They will be used to make an inside the house dining table. One is 8' long and the other 10'. I got them this long so I will be sure to get 6' long pieces with no checks. They have been drying outside, uncovered for "a long time" is the way he put it. I have them inside the house, where it is air conditioned. They are both cracked a bit on each end, so I will have them cut to clear the checking. My question is, should I have them cut now, a little past where the cracking stops and maybe seal the ends, or just let them dry inside the way they are. I am figuring on giving them 4-6 weeks before having them built into the table top. As usual, all responses are appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

WDH

Leave them alone until they are stabilized with the inside environment.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

Thank you much for the advice. I will do exactly that. Do you think 4-6 weeks will be sufficient? Thank you again for the advice, it is well appreciated.

WDH

I would think that is the minimum.  I stickered some 7/8" red oak boards that were 13.5% moisture content in my house in March in 2011. Took 5 - 6 weeks to drop to 9.5%, where they stayed at the moisture content through August till I used them in a re-model. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

Thanks again. I will make it acclimate as long as possible. 

Ianab

Cypress should dry faster than Oak, but your boards are thicker, so it's probably similar.

If you don't have a moisture meter, do you have some accurate digital scales?

Weigh a board and note the weight. Leave it a week and weigh it again. If it's the same, then the wood is acclimated. If it's lighter, then the wood is still drying, leave it a bit longer.

You wont know the exact moisture content, but whatever it is, it's correct for the environment it's in, and that's the more important thing. Might be be 7%, might be 10%, doesn't matter, it's right for that room.

With the end checks, I'd leave them for now. That damage is already done, and probably occurred in the first few weeks of drying. Just once the board evened out, the cracks weren't obvious. As it's started drying again, they show up again. Cut them off later, or tape them (bottom and ends) up and pour some epoxy into them if you want to save the wood.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LaneC

Thank You Sponsors!