iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anti fogging face shields, any experience?

Started by Brad_bb, April 14, 2024, 10:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm seeing a lot of ads lately for those full face shields that are supposedly anti fogging.  Any of you using one and how do they work when milling?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, what Bad said! I am curious too and wondering about chainsaw work. I have an issue with all safety glasses fogging up and it appears you could wear this with a hard hat.  It also has the benefit of covering the mouth and since I am a mouth breather when I am working hard I sometimes get chips are dust in my mouth, or flies, or bark. ffcheesy
 What's the price range on that Brad? If it's cheap, I'll bite and try it out. Who carries them?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

It looks like it covers the mouth and nose.  most high-end ones have an air supply like the paprs we use at the hospital, or one-way valves so the air in and out have separate routes.  the humid breath is 100% humidity relative to your body temp.  so, it condenses on the plastic shield.  I have had some luck with safety glasses the have a foam seal/gasket on the back to seal around the eyes.  they work ok, I have them with reader for sewing.  but if you sweat, the perspiration will fog them.  There is stuff made for swim goggles and for hunters that are anti fog.  I think rain-x makes some.  I would have low expectations, unless it has some coating.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

looks like it is 20 bucks on amazon.  not much harm in trying.  it mentions a valve but not seeing a separate in.  not sure I could wear it for long.  the PAPRs are 400 bucks.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I looked around a bit. It doesn't appear that they would work with a hard hat, or any hat, which changes things for me. I'm a hat guy and need to have a hat on. I'd sooner wear spandex than go without a hat. (let it go Doc  ffcheesy ).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

peakbagger

I have one of these systems for sandblasting and painting. They also sell an accesssory for hard hats, half masks and welding. They do not fog up and keeps and fumes well away from my lungs  safety bump caps - safety respirators | Turbine Products. The website is not great so it requires just clicking around. 

scsmith42

I use one them for milling, and they work as advertised.  It's nice to keep the sawdust out of my face.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

I tried an 'anti fog' goggle for running a clearing saw that had a foam seal and side vents. It fogged. It was tinted, I thought it would be handy in the fall sunshine when the sun is in your face all day. I even tried it in the cold wind when walking along the road, it fogged. Fake advertising.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

It might have worked riding a ski doo and if your not working too hard at it.  But wouldn't expect too much of it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

When I used to ride a lot of snowmobile, we wore motocross helmets with double pane ski goggles. Those never fogged, and that was racing so lots of sweating. I had tried one of the snowmobile helmets with the fold down face shield first and that miserable thing was always fogged up. Anyways, once in a while when I'm sawing something dusty like white oak or cedar, I think "I need to get another set of those goggles" but I've never got around to it. 
Too many irons in the fire

Brad_bb

With my mill, I have 1)general dust you don't want to be breathing , 2)sometimes chips/hard small wood bits coming at you especially when you are cutting your outside slabs, or skinning off a small amount or when your blade comes out of the cut so you need eye protection , 3) noise you need hearing protection for, and 4) you need something covering your head to keep wood bits out of your hair and from falling down into your eyebrows.  

I currently wear a 3m respirator with the P 100 filters for dust, then put on my safety glasses, but I don't push them all the way to my face or they will fog, Then my ball cap, then my ear muffs.  It's kind of a paint because I go on and off with them a lot. I let the respirator hang around my neck down on my chest when not in use.

If the face shield prevents using the ball cap or equivalent, or the earmuffs, then It can't be used.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!