iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding with a tractor

Started by livemusic, December 14, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyVT

Just to add my vote for a winch, Norse 450 on my M6040 pulling a 70 foot 16 " DBH hemlock.

mike_belben

The gadget in question looks handy if you have a short skid, a real small machine and/or a good reason to stay on the machine.  

Basically it only pulls one stem.  That has a cost.  Doing less work in a day than the machine may be capable of.  Chokers can bring in multiple stems per trip doubling and tripling production at the expense of getting on and off. 

Sometimes tongs can slip a lot. Other times theyre great.  Theyre half convenient and half frusterating.   Chokers are what they are.  Yeah you gotta set em but thats once at each end.  Not 5 times in one trip like a tong can sometimes treat you.  A tong wont self release if your dropping logs into a tight pile of logs (or in my case cable loading onto a trailer with a tong on a winch boom.. I have to twist the tong out because itll jam up into the log next to it.)

Try it out for yourself and see what you think.  
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: livemusic on January 18, 2022, 09:00:19 AMEDIT: I see that this site added a sentence about the company I bought the tongs from. I wasn't aware of that. EDIT2: Hmmm... better start adding sentences about Harbor Freight, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart. I get it but this has been going on for decades. Without a BIG reset, nothing will change.

NT is an especially nasty company when it comes to selling cloned/stolen designs. The don't just sell cheap knock-offs (which as you noted, many other companies do), their labeling and advertising is often aimed at convincing buyers that what they are about to buy is the real McCoy. It's been some years since I've looked closely, but I've seen where they lifted whole paragraphs of advertising descriptions from the original manufacturer to use in the descriptions of the clones on the NT website. The logos on some of these clones are also designed to closely mimic the original. Sometimes, these closes have been cheapened in ways that are downright dangerous: eith er in their design, or in the poor execution of the design. (I was given a Cant Hook/timber jack where the welded on tip of the hook snapped off after less than a dozen uses on logs that should have been well within it's capability. Fortunately, it as not in a situation where I or my equipment were likely to get damaged by a rolling log.)

Years ago, I almost bought a Hookaroon from NT because it looked almost exactly like the Logrite offering, but in a different color. Fortunately, I asked first, and Tammy from Logrite pointed out the differences (there were several and some were in critical areas).

You'll note that you are not prevented from mentioning them, and that your link still works. Jeff and others just feel strongly enough about their business practices that they wanted to say something about it. I'll admit to buying from them on occasion - usually when I can't find a product I need locally or from a known, high-quality manufacturer (such as our forum sponsors).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

I deleted the post and told him BREIFLY why.
Not allowed, hoping he would clean it up, I was going to send him a copy after I got out of my appointment so he could easily do it.In the mean tme, I get a nasty note so never did send it..

Im tired of this.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Mc

Seems as though there is always someone who has to be difficult.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!