iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ebay will have stuff for old iron. I know Bernstein gets parts for vehicles from the 40's and that he uses every day. Some stuff 'new' old stock, never opened. He gets VW bus parts and motor bike parts to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

newoodguy78

It's a shame Oliver/White went out of business, they were ahead of their time with a lot of things. I think it was cockshutt that first had power steering on their tractors.
We've got two 2 series Whites here for their age they treat us well. Some people aren't a fan but personally like the design of them for the most part.

Corley5

Ran a five face cord load and a load into Dakota Truck Guy's Dakota today.  I was going to wait until Thursday when it's supposed to be in the mid to upper 20s.  Today was in the upper teens with some sun and a light breeze.  Not a bad day at all.  Guess I'm used to it.  Glad I did it today because another 5 cord order came in from a returning 1st time customer.  He bought a load in November.  He's on the schedule for Thursday.  I cleaned up what was left of one pile of 100" and started another.  The deck's full for Thursday.  The next two days are supposed to be in the upper single digits to low teens for highs.  Time to fire up the stove and go to work in the sugar house.  That season is fast approaching.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Foragefarmer

Trucks, Tractors, T190, and an LT40

Al_Smith

If it isn't one thing it's another ,tractor won't start .Jeep must have some water get in the hydraulics ,blade won't move .Last resort a cord of basswood I can get to  .Better than nothing .
I think what happens with the Jeep is the lift cylinder is a one way, gravity drop .Old as dirt and likely the shaft seal leaks and rain dribbles in. Another thing I forgot to do . ::) It's not going to thaw out in the near future supposed to get down to 1 above next few days . :o 

SwampDonkey

I'm sure an oak or two within easy reach can be sacrificed Al. Hey, there's always the snow scoop. Neighbor notices me using the scoop a lot this winter. "What's wrong with the snow blower", says he. 'Nothing', says I. 'The scoop works fine to'. ;D  [not a true story, but makes the point]

We've never had enough snow to bother with a snow blower, suppose to get 12" this weekend though. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

How can north of maine not get enough snow for a snowblower when southern maine is a sled and ski mecca?  Am i missing something?  I was in a flatlander part of southern mass and knee deep snow was probably once a season. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

It's not the latitude Mike, It's the longitude. He is in an area that gets more of the warm sea currents which temper the weather a little bit, sometimes a lot. It's a complex climate they have there and very spotty from what I can tell. I think it's very different just a little north of where he is.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HemlockKing

Yes to what OG said, NS is very similar, even more regulated by ocean temps since it's more exposed. It really isn't a harsh winter here like lots of Americans think, I'm sure Wisconsin, Michigan etc get colder winters than us.
A1

SwampDonkey

And there is rain expected in this weekend snow. :D

If you go to Moncton, which is out the toe of the shoe in the SE, they get a lot more snow at times. We probably have 4 different zones in NB from the Fundy coast to the Bay of Chaleur. Yesterday it was raining in St John on the Bay of Fundy. 18F for a high here and snow, that by 3:00 pm was clear and sunny. How many days have I looked out toward Maine and it is snowing on the Masardis hills, and not here? Lots. This morning was a fog over in Bridgewater, Maine but it was raining snow. No clouds. But all the trees around here have Hoar frost. So we will definitely get that rain, maybe not a lot, but some. :D  

And Yarmouth , NS has a grow zone of 6, up here it is 4b (colder). ;D

Wood Shed

Cut about 27 rounds today before noon when it was 6 degrees outside, nice and sunny though and no wind, perfect for cutting wood.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

PoginyHill

Latitude probably influences temperatures more than precipitation. Most of New England's bigger snowfalls are from coastal storms where more accumulation near the coast versus inland or up north. But if it's too warm, then southern regions will get rain or sleet and reduce snowfall.

In the last several years, northern Vermont has generally had less snow than central and southern Vermont. But we always colder than southern Vermont.

Mountains are another factor. I live between the green mountains and white mountains. We often get cheated from snowfall because of the shadow effect of precipitation as the moisture rises up over the mountains. By the time it gets to us, there isn't always a whole lot left.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Al_Smith

I did get a load of bass wood in 2 below weather .Should have waited until afternoon when it was 12 above .Load some, get back in the truck. repeat .Its a tad on the damp side doesn't burn real good .However the propane furnace takes up the slack .
The good news that I didn't realize is Georgias' GMC Envoy does have a receiver hitch so that solves the problem of retrieving the ash,hickory and oak .I figure I have about 5-6 more weeks of nasty weather .I might limp on through or I might not .
I'm only talking about 3-4 inches of snow but in the woods it's over leaves .The Ford Ranger with fat tires can't hardly pull itself let along a trailer full of hardwood behind it that weighs a ton and a half . 

stavebuyer

Al I really need to know how someone retired and living at the same homestead with his wood source within spitting distance of the front porch, collects and rebuilds saws and dozers as hobby manages to run out of firewood at the beginning of winter?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

John Mc

Quote from: PoginyHill on January 26, 2022, 04:46:28 PMIn the last several years, northern Vermont has generally had less snow than central and southern Vermont. But we always colder than southern Vermont.

Yeah, my kids have been really bummed about that. We live just far enough north in VT that they've missed out on several days off school due to snow days over the last few years.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zippski

HeyJohn, I have been wanting to ask: given your sig, are you the John Mc from the old skivt-l listserve ?

Zippski
Leigh

Leigh
zippski

thecfarm

Quote from: Wood Shed on January 26, 2022, 03:24:53 PM
Cut about 27 rounds today before noon when it was 6 degrees outside, nice and sunny though and no wind, perfect for cutting wood.

I usually stay in the house at anything down to about 12°. I have been out a few times at 16 and the temp started to drop. I wear certain cloths and when I start to feel cold, I head for the house. And I can feel it when it gets down to the temps that I don't like.
Like that set up you have. Does no damage to the woods. Can't hardly tell you have been there. Nice dump trailer you have.
Looks like you have just about as much snow as I have. A few days from now we may get 8-12 inches
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: zippski on January 27, 2022, 12:23:15 AM
HeyJohn, I have been wanting to ask: given your sig, are you the John Mc from the old skivt-l listserve ?

Zippski
Leigh
I do enjoy sking, both Alpine and XC, but that was not me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 26, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
Al I really need to know how someone retired and living at the same homestead with his wood source within spitting distance of the front porch, collects and rebuilds saws and dozers as hobby manages to run out of firewood at the beginning of winter?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It's a soap opera .My renter died and it took three months to get the place back in shape to rent again .Then I managed to rupture myself thinking I was 30 years old not over 70 .That took 6 weeks to recover .Then my geo thermal bought the farm and it was another two,three  weeks installing a new propane furnace .That ended mid November and I could finally get on the firewood .It's not that I'm out it just isn't easy to get to short of a wheel barrow .Granted I should have been at about Sept Oct it just didn't work out the way I planned it to .--the best laid plans of mice and men ----
Now comes the propane furnace which I bought wholesale .It does good and you can't hardly hear it when it runs plus the house was built in 1983 with radiant ceiling heat .We aren't going to freeze or rupture the water pipes because they froze .I can certainly afford the gas or electric but here I sit in the finest hardwood area in the country and other than the labor involved it's all free .The temp is at 17 above as I type so I'll get a load in a few hours which won't take long to fetch .

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

A bad luck streak for sure; I just imagined you would be the guy to already have 2026s firewood split and stacked.

SwampDonkey

Mine's all cut a year ahead for the very reason that crap can happen, the worst is to one's health. So at most, I have wood in a pile 5 steps from the woodshed, 2 more to the basement door. I cut this fall for a year from then. So I have hedged my bets. Not saying one couldn't lie in a hospital bed for 14 months, but chances of making it by then might be slim at best. Probably die of pneumonia by then. One just never knows.

Take care Al, we're on your side. ;)

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 26, 2022, 09:41:34 AMAnd Yarmouth , NS has a grow zone of 6, up here it is 4b (colder).

Yes, the bannana belt of the east coast of Canada!

The temperature difference as I travel inland is quite noticeable, I have left my camp (40km inland) in a snow storm with 18" of new fluffy snow on the ground and could see the progression of less snow as I drive home (2km inland) once home it was all rain, the difference in elevation is about 300ft (104' home and 430' at the camp)  so not a big factor. The opposite is true in the summer as it will often be 5 to 10 degrees warmer at the camp.

It does get cold along coast too but often gets above freezing during snow/rain events, last storm that blew through created lot of freezing spray at the coast.

Al_Smith

:D Oh it isn't that bad I just belly ache too much .I usually have enough cut to last at least two years I just got caught behind the 8 ball this year .I could be bold and say that will never happen again but some times the cookie doesn't crumble that way .
It will warm up some time or at least it always has in the past .I've got some dandy trees dead standing plus wind blown that are large enough to test out a pair of Partner 100's I did total restores and rebuilds .Those  are  
 one of Swedens finest ever built I just want to see how gutsy they are .I've only test ran them on 20" stuff .Lets see what they are made of on 3 feet stuff ,my bet is good . 8)

SwampDonkey

Dad, uncle and grandfather cut wood with Partner saws long before Husqvarna. And Husqvarna back then was a different saw than now. ;D

So what your saying, is you've been blessed with saws and wood, but can't stand the rest of us having such good time. Classroom troublemaker eh?  :D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!