lt28 blade tracking

Started by Gwilliamson, September 16, 2023, 03:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwilliamson

I have a woodmizer lt28 and just went through my first box of 15 1 1/4 10 degree blades.  I didn't pay enough attention I guess when I ordered more and ended up with 1 1/2 inch blades. They want to ride up on the guide wheels.  Never had any trouble with the 1 1/4.  How often do the belts the blades ride on need to be replaced? I'm a little reluctant to try the adjustment just because it was running fine with the 1 1/4s.  Any suggestions? I'm pretty new to this.

Magicman

The B57 bandwheel belts should last a year or more with fairly heavy sawing or until a blade cuts it, etc.  I am just throwing a "geewizz" figure out there because belt wear is not your issue because you have only used 15 blades if I followed you correctly.

Quote from: Gwilliamson on September 16, 2023, 03:53:07 PMThey want to ride up on the guide wheels.
I am not familiar with the LT28 but I am assuming that you are referring to the roller blade guides and the blades are climbing over the rear flange because the 1½" blades are tracking too far back?  I would sorta hate to see you adjusting the tracking just yet.  I also wonder about proper blade tension?

The first thing that I would do is verify your blade guide Horizontal Tilt.  If properly adjusted the right side of the rear flange would pull the blade upward and tightly into the roller and prevent the blade from climbing over.

(If I use 1½" blades on my sawmill the tracking is such that the blade rides against the rear flange.  Proper blade tension and Horizontal Tilt will prevent any problems.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I run both 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" bands on my Super 70, the only adjustment I will make is to the roller guides by pushing them back or forward to allow for around a 3/16" gap between the back of the band and the flange. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

First, make sure the body of your band is tracking centered on the bandwheel. Then, you need to adjust your blade guide rollers back so they have proper clearance between the back of the blade and the roller flange. About 3/16". 
Too many irons in the fire

Gwilliamson

Thanks all for your replies.  I checked horizontal tilt, tension and tracking.  I then moved roller guides back and put on a new blade and I only made a few cuts but it is working so far.