iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat tire on the Peterson

Started by terrifictimbersllc, April 01, 2012, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Who would have thought one needs a spare tire for a swing mill?

No I'm not joking.   I was making the next to the last slabber cut 110 miles from home on a 30" diameter copper beech log.  It was about 60 F out and things had been going great.  Customer and I were both very happy.    Just a background note, when I'm slabbing I turn off the engine after each cut, and usually get a "POP" as the engine backfires.   OK.   So I'm in the middle of the cut and I hear a pretty big "POP" or maybe a bang.  I stop things and ask my customer if he heard it and where it came from.  We weren't sure but we thought behind us somewhere.   Maybe a car backfired.  Deep down I knew better, just a feeling.  ::) ::)  I finish the log and going for the jockey wheels I see one of them looks sad, the tire is off the rim.  The inner tube is split wide open.    Oh no.  That's what it was.   

No spare.  No pictures either.   We got the mill on my truck with one wheel and a Hi-Lift jack.  Peterson prosthesis.   On the way home I got a new tube and a spare.   The tire was inflated at 40 psi cold but was sitting in the sun.  Tire store said no way it should have come off.  From now on they sit in the shade.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Full Circle

Too bad you had the end the day that way, but it's good that you were able to get it loaded.  I can't imagine a tire not being able to handle even maximum rated PSI and be in full sun....

A good reminder that I want to get a spare for the LT40, too.....
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

customsawyer

I hate that happened. It will let you know when you have a bad tire though. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

:o You forgot to take pictures of that copper beach!  :o :o :o :o
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

terrifictimbersllc

Got pix of the beech not of the tire. When I get a minute again.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Qweaver

I have exactly the same problem with my new Peterson.  I found both tires off of the rim on one side and both tubes blown out.  Either the tires are bad or the wheels are not suited to the tire.  I'm having way too many problem with this new saw. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Wife

Well thats the second customer with 'popped' tyres in a week! I have sent photos from our other customer to our suppliers, his were split down the length where the rim was located, very wierd, looks like may have been a bad batch or something. Obviously not right, we have never seen this before.
Send us the bill for the replacement tube you got, and might pay to get a spare for the other tyre too!
Sorry for the inconvenience, and we are getting on to the issue.

Kerris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Okrafarmer

Wow, that's a fast response! Way to stay on top of things. I'm duly noting it because I hope to be a Peterson owner one day.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!