iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chapps

Started by jmouton, March 23, 2020, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

so a few yrs ago i had a close call with my leg and a chainsaw,   just scratched my leg no blood,,,, so i told myself ill just be more carefull, well today my 066 more than scratched my leg drew blood good, no stitches , mainly cuz i didnt go to hospital ,  bandaged it up pretty good  , no more bleeding ,,,   so  off to buy some good chapps , i aint getting any younger or faster,  so i finally learned my lesson,,, i really dont like logging for myself but sometimes an oppertunity presents itself ,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

BargeMonkey

I prefer the wrap chaps, some guys like the apron. I've got 3x pair of the husqvarna saw pants, prefer them in winter.

Gf is a nurse, says chainsaw injurys are some of the worst to fix, ragged plus the chance for infection. 

Southside

X2 on the full wrap.  They will pull around your leg if you hit them and with an apron style you only have so much before your leg is exposed.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

I've always preferred the inserts where I can wear them if not it's the half wrap chaps the brush out here can get caught up in them which is just as bad or worse then not wearing chaps at all.

EOTE

Quote from: jmouton on March 23, 2020, 07:08:36 PM
so a few yrs ago i had a close call with my leg and a chainsaw,   just scratched my leg no blood,,,, so i told myself ill just be more carefull, well today my 066 more than scratched my leg drew blood good, no stitches , mainly cuz i didnt go to hospital ,  bandaged it up pretty good  , no more bleeding ,,,   so  off to buy some good chapps , i aint getting any younger or faster,  so i finally learned my lesson,,, i really dont like logging for myself but sometimes an oppertunity presents itself ,

jim
I am thankful you did not have anything worse.  Good decision on the chaps.  I have Husqvarna chaps.  But even with chaps you will have close calls.  I've had the chainsaw touch my chaps while limbing.  Makes you thankful there is something between you and the chain.  

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

BargeMonkey

One of our employees is the instructor for the NY Logger Training rescue class, we recycle our old chaps thru the class, he will get a piece of meat, wrap it up in the chaps and hit it with the saw. Your normal lightweight chaps are only good for a smaller saw, 572-390-395 and wide open, your still getting something if they are lightweight chaps. 

Klicker

Chain saw pants and chaps are like winter tiers most think they are a waist of money  cause they think it won't happen to them. I ask what is your leg or life worth.
2006 LT 40 HD

Pine Ridge

I've tried several different brands, husqvarna, stihl, elvex , forester etc. Whatever brand and style you buy get a pair thats somewhat comfortable to your liking. I've had some that i absolutely dreaded wearing, uncomfortable, bulky feeling and the straps loosening up after wearing awhile. If you have to spend a little extra to get a pair that is comfortable for your liking it will be money well spent in the long run.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

WDH

I cringe when I see Wicker Bills that drop start a chainsaw wearing shorts and flip flops.  I think to myself, "Yep, an ignorant rookie who doesn't know better, or either someone who does and is just lazy and stupid".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chep

I highly recommend the wrap chaps that Arborwear sells. The elastic straps are excellent and comfortable 

47sawdust

I have a pair of Elvex wrap chaps and have trained myself to wear them anytime I have a chainsaw in my hand.
Bad things can happen quick,why take a chance.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dgdrls

PPE is top of the list...

google chainsaw wounds and pull up the images :( :( :(

Buy a pair you know you'll use. Buy on quality first
Use them every time the saw comes out.

D

Jeff

Jim showed is leg off on facebook. He must be too bashful here. ;) :D

Jim, I have a couple trees worth of wood to buck up yet so thanks to you, I'm going to dig out my chaps before I do. I think Ive lost enough weight the belt will buckle again. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I have a pair of Elvex pants I really like and I keep a pair of husky chaps handy for short jobs, they are warmer to wear but on And off easy. You gotta Wear 'em for them to work. There are several good threads here on the forum discussing this subject. Be safe.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Plankton

I wear the husqvarna cutting pants daily chopping. Comfortable, warm in the winter, really hot in the summer but worth it.

They've held up good for 2yrs commercial timber falling so far.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on March 24, 2020, 08:33:17 AMWicker Bills that drop start a chainsaw wearing shorts and flip flops.

Who you callin' a Wicker Bill ??  That plus I was NOT wearing flip flops!!  I know my safety rules and I had on steel toe boots.  

Plus the Nurse Practitioner lady at the Quick Care sewed it up quite nicely.  

I have not and will not ever use a chainsaw without chaps again. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I see some meat on those bones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

I like apron chaps. Easy on, easy off, and a bit more breeze. My first pair were Husqvarnas, and the second Labonville. I liked both, but prefer the Labonville. They're reversible, so there's heavy nylon on both sides. The Huskies have a heavy sateen on the inside, and they get torn up by briars and stuff. Bonus is the Labonvilles are made in the US.

thecfarm

I forgot my chaps once. Should of went back and got them, but it was stub of a tree. I don't need them. ::)  there was a small bush in the way, cut that off and somehow walked into a chain that was till moving. It stopped moving, just a little below the knee. Two scars, I did get the stub down though. ::)  Now I go back and get the chaps. I use Labonville, use to be 30 minutes from me. But they closed that store. Now about an hour away.

Here it is.

Did something stupid in Chainsaws
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

Have any of you guys tried in the pants style of chaps?

Andries

On days when the chainsaw is part of the plan, the Pfanner pants get pulled on the the morning. Even if it's just a regular milling and building kinda day. They've become my Carhart bibs.
The Ventilator version has been comfor table and have stood up well in the first year that I've used them.
Worth the price.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

I may run a chainsaw almost every day, but rarely all day. I will haul a load of rocks up into the woods, put my chaps on and cut enough wood for a twitch and haul that out and take my chaps off and dig more rocks and go back up into the woods again. Or I just might go work in the garden for a while and than after lunch, dig some more rocks and head for the woods and put my chaps back on for a couple hours. So the chaps can be put on and off when I don't need them. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pine Ridge

Quote from: Skeans1 on March 25, 2020, 09:49:25 PM
Have any of you guys tried in the pants style of chaps?
Skeans i haven't tried them, i looked at them in madsens catalog and i'll bet they would be great. I may try them when my chaps wear out, i just bought a new pair of the Husqvarna functional chaps two weeks ago.

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

47sawdust

I have a pair of pant style chaps and elvex wrap chaps.I much prefer the wraps.I'm much more inclined to put the wrap chaps on so it comes down to convenience,personal preference and then overall safe working habits for me.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

teakwood

I use the pfanner ventilation pants (do to our temps here in the tropics, 80-97), they probably the best warm weather pants out there, also the most expensive ones but worth every penny. Mi first pair is now 7years old and sees probably 2 month of professional use per year, they are as comfy as a jogging pant, have already bought a second pair.

if your a professional or use them the whole day they're definitively the way to go, if you lets say just cut 2 trees and then skid then chaps would probably make more sense.

also not everybody wants to drop 300$ on a pant. 
the purchase hurts but i always say to myself how much is your leg worth? and then it seems to be an insignificant amount! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!