iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

My buddy Dave is practicing with his drone. Most of his videos end in a crash, it's kind of his signature ending. He's an IT guy and started a Youtube channel for me called Harzer Built. Here's a flyover that doesn't end in a crash but almost.

July 26, 2020 - YouTube
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

samandothers

Roxie

Say when

GRANITEstateMP

Jon anymore updates? You been able to keep the critters at bay?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Weekend_Sawyer

Progress!! It's a wonderful thing.

The garage doors are up.

I just couldn't find hinges heavy enough to hold a 275lb door so I have been fabricating them. First I didn't get all of them done in time. I needed 16, 4 for each door. So we stood them up and tacked them in place. Then it turns out my welds were bad. I was using a wirefeed and had the polarity reversed so I just wasn't getting penetration. My welds were barely stuck to the surface. I figured out my problem, thank you youtube, and will be taking the last of them up this weekend. They are 19" overall.

Meanwhile, the stairs from the basement are in. They put on temporary treads because I want to make some nice
1 3/4" thick red oak treads to be installed after the heavy construction is done.

and they are working on the stairs up to the loft.

They will start basically where that pile of lumber is in the lower left, run up to a landing then turn and run to the right up to another landing that goes into the loft.

It kills me not to be there while so much great work is going on.
I'll be retiring at the end of October but were going to shut down for hunting season by then. These guys take their hunting seasons serious.

I still don't have a layout for my main level but I'm not worried. It is slowly evolving. I know where a couple of doors are going but I'm just not settled on the whole kitchen, living room, bedroom layout. So pretty much the whole thing is still a blank slate.

Jon 

Tom King

Looks great!  I like your hinges.   Richards-Wilcox makes some that would work, but when you saw the price, you would probably have fabricated them anyway.

They even make huge stainless steel, ball bearing ones for Zoo's.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks Jon, really enjoy watching this build! A new house, AND, retirement  8)! That's a win-win
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

moosehunter

Nice hinges! Do you have more pics of the building process for them?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: moosehunter on August 24, 2020, 08:46:47 PM
Nice hinges! Do you have more pics of the building process for them?
mh
I'm sorry I don't. I had planned on doing a Diresta style video but just ran out of time.
Here's how I made them.
 If you can weld a little they are not hard. I used 3/16 flat iron for the wings. The wings that go on the doors are 3" wide with a 2" wide piece on top, 14" long. The wing that gets screwed to the frame is 6hx5w" giving me lots of area to screw into the oak post. I should have staggered the holes. I bought most of the metal from a metal supplier near me. The knuckles are a 3/8 rod for the pin with a metal tube that they fit in. I bought this from a big box store, the rod and tubes were right next to each other. I cut the rod slightly over 6" then cut the tube into 2, 1.5" pieces and 1, 3"piece.
Assembly:
 on the pin I slide a 1.5" tube then the 3" then another 1.5" and peen the ends of the pin a little to keep it all together. Using magnets I line them up on the edge of the 6" side of the wing and weld the 2, 1.5" tubes to it. Then I line up the 3" wing and weld it to the 3" tube. I grind this weld back a little bit and then lay the 2" wing on top of the 3" wing and weld it down. All along making sure everything is plumb and square.
 My welding isn't very pretty but I can make stuff stick together... usually.
Jon

gspren

I believe that's called a "Gorilla Weld", strong but ugly!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

trimguy

I just read this whole thread. WOW !! Very exciting. Thanks for posting. I'm looking for more updates when I come.

Weekend_Sawyer

All of the hinges are in and holding!
I finished insulating the garage doors. One thing about cutting insulation board is that there was pink residue everywhere. I bet I'll be finding it for years to come.

Here's a link to a video walk through showing where we are now.

Lodge progress. - YouTube

I'm hoping we will get the chimneys done so I can put a wood stove in the basement this fall. They are going to be exposed double wall stainless steel pipes. I like the way they look.

Jon

samandothers

Thanks for the tour!  I got a little winded coming out of basement!  Great looking place, y'all have done some great work! 

doc henderson

that looks great.  glad you did not poke you feet between the joists.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

That will be an awesome place Jon, thanks for the walk through.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Thanks for sharing. Some fine work going on. Love the set up. ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Things are slowing down as bow season is in and my contractor and buddy Wayne is an avid hunter. we have been working on small but important details like boxing in around the garage doors and insulating the basement windows. I'm hoping to have the chimneys up in a couple of weeks.

I pulled an old wood stove out of my basement, scratched it down and put a couple of coats of high temp black on it. I'll be taking it up to the lodge this weekend.

Jon

moosehunter

Slo progress is still progress. 
Remember to have a good hot fire in that stove before you put it in the house. I was 15 or 16 when I thought it was a great idea to paint my dad's wood stove one summer. He forgot about the fresh paint come fall. That was a mighty chilly evening with all the windows open and fans blowing @ 40°!!!!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

I wasn't going to do a pre-burn in the stove but you are the 2nd person to say that. I'm slow but I ain't that slow. Wilco!

Jon

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Weekend_Sawyer

We got the conduits buried. 
I'm going to bury the power and phone from a pole to the south of my lodge to a new pole, not yet installed over by where the backhoe is. you can see the guywire in the middle of the picture, that and the pole right in front of my lodge will go away. Then a spur will come back from the new pole with transformer on it to the lodge.

It was a hard working 3 days.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!