iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Cider

Started by 21incher, February 16, 2015, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Made some hard cider last fall and it came out great. The first carboy was made using the natural yeast in the apples and some sugar. That one came out about 8% with a sweet flavor and was consumed during the holidays. The second carboy was made using red wine yeast and sugar. This batch came out at about 12% and is quite dry and smooth. I just bottled it and will give it a couple of more months to age. The third carboy was made with champagne yeast, white sugar, & brown sugar. This batch is at about 14% and is still fermenting. It is quite tasty, but I think it really is wine now and can no longer be called cider. The yeast can survive to over 15% so it will have a good kick when the fermentation is complete. Here are some pics of the batch I just bottled.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I know nothing about cider, but that is pretty. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It would be nice to try some of that.  Bring some to the Pig Roast  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2015, 08:16:08 PM

Fed Ex a case to the Sycamore Project.......

Ya see Pop, is ya let me handle the entertainment for the SP, I can get it done.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Deal.  I am sure that you will pay the musicians. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 16, 2015, 08:37:58 PM
Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2015, 08:16:08 PM

Fed Ex a case to the Sycamore Project.......

Ya see Pop, is ya let me handle the entertainment for the SP, I can get it done.  ;D
I don't think it is safe to drink this and saw, Plus I don't think Jeff would want to deal with a bunch of drunken sawyers so I will just have to sit here and enjoy it by myself. If anyone is ever in the area I do offer tasting. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on February 16, 2015, 09:12:55 PM
If anyone is ever in the area I do offer tasting GUZZLING !. ;D

LeeB

Did you follow a set recipe or come up with your own? I've considered making some myself. I do have a batch of apple and pear wine mix that needs bottling. I thought I might use store bought apple juice to try a batch of cider.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

LeeB I made my own. The brew store that I buy supplies from recommended trying different yeasts for different alcohol contents and different tastes. I went to a local farm with a cider press where they filled my carboys for about $2.00 a gallon using a blend of late apples with high sugar content and great flavors. I left 1 natural and added sulfates to the other 2 to kill the natural yeast and then added the commercial yeast to them. I added sugar to get the brix up to the desired alcohol levels and placed them in my cool basement with airlocks. It can't hurt to try store bought juice and I think it would be best to start with frozen concentrate that hasn't been heat processed. It is amazing the different flavors of my batches and next year I want to try and carbonate it which will have to be bottled in champagne bottles. Let me know how yours turns out.

LeeB

You can naturally carbonate it if you catch it in time and don't let the ferment finish all the way. I have several bottles of blueberry bubbly that is about 11 - 12%. It was totally by accident and I have to keep it refrigerated so it doesn't blow the corks or shatter the bottles.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

Today I bottled my last batch if cider.

Got everything sanitized and ready to go.

Siphoned the cider into the bottling bucket.

Filling the 22 ounce bottles.

Capping the bottles.

Labels on.

All my homebrew beer and cider has the basement beer fridge full. Ready for a long hot summer. ;D

LeeB

I notice you had all the necessary equipment including tasting glass.  :D

21incher

Quote from: LeeB on February 23, 2015, 12:46:16 PM
I notice you had all the necessary equipment including tasting glass.  :D
Have to taste it to be sure it is safe. The only problem is after the first glass I was pretty buzzed and wanted a nap.

ely

I am pretty confident that I can saw logs and do woodworking with nice results, but for brewing like that I am envious. I have to rely on my buddy to supply the wine...we call it wine. the wine my wife drags home aint fit to drink for me. I do a lot of cooking with it though. I would like to sample what you have created for certain.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like your organization!  smiley_thumbsup

21incher

Quote from: ely on February 23, 2015, 01:03:37 PM
I am pretty confident that I can saw logs and do woodworking with nice results, but for brewing like that I am envious. I have to rely on my buddy to supply the wine...we call it wine. the wine my wife drags home aint fit to drink for me. I do a lot of cooking with it though. I would like to sample what you have created for certain.
I said the same thing up to last summer when I received a beer making kit from my sister for a birthday present that got me started. Not everything I have brewed has been top shelf, but every batch gets a little better. Just like sawing, you get a little better with each log you saw. This is the label on my first batch of wine because it came out tasting like gasoline.

But it is real good for cooking. :)

21incher

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 23, 2015, 06:06:12 PM
I like your organization!  smiley_thumbsup
Thanks. My wife told me I had to move to the basement because I was making the house smell like a brewery. So I took my old island top and built a storage island to give me a place to work. It holds 12 plastic containers to help organize my stuff ( 6 slide in from each side ) and really saves me time because I can now find what I want without spending hours searching the housefor it

:)

drobertson

Now I'm really confused ;D  do you have a wood working shop, or a micro brewery?  you look to be pretty refined at both!  not to mention the restaurant on the side ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Quote from: drobertson on February 23, 2015, 07:01:05 PM
Now I'm really confused ;D  do you have a wood working shop, or a micro brewery?  you look to be pretty refined at both!  not to mention the restaurant on the side ;D
Just trying to become self sufficient and know what is going into my body. It is fun being retired and having the time to pursue new hobbies and try to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.  :)

drobertson

8) you look to be doing a fine job with them all, only a few can be so gifted ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!