iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New LT10 woodmizer set up

Started by luap, August 09, 2020, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luap

I have a friend with a brand new WM Lt 10 that is just now getting around to setting it up. He is not the kind of guy to read the manual and has asked me to help him. I have been looking at the manual and was wondering if anybody has had one of those ahah! moments that if they were doing it again would do differently. I have zero experience with a band mill other than reading the FF.

Magicman

"He is not the kind of guy to read the manual" so he got you to do it. ::)

I just wonder what he is gonna do when he needs to check/align the various sawmill components??  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luap

Well, He is old as dirt and missing the fingers on one hand, so what's a friend for? This is not his first mill as he had one in the Alaska bush before moving back south. I'm not next door to him and he offered to pay me so he is not taking advantage of me. 

Redhorseshoe

I put my first mil (lt15) together back in May.  The best advice I can give is to go slow, not even take into consideration how long it's taking you to do it.  Other than that, read and reread the manual during assembly and also find woodmizer's assembly videos on youtube.  As tempting as it is to get it done ane cut into that first log, take all the extra time to make sure it's put together and aligned/blade tensioned properly.  Mine was pretty straightforward but there are lots of steps to assembly and alignment.  I'm sure you'll do fine.

Sixacresand

I had about 20 ft of track.  I spent hours leveling and packing the the ground. Laid down lap spliced treated 4 x 4's and installed mill on top.  It was low to the ground.  The advantage was I could load and turn logs with my log arch.  The downside was bending over to do everything.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dgdrls

If you have a good flat surface start there with the bed rails.
Put the bed rails on wood timber skids, and shim as needed.

You'll need two strong lads or a machine to lift the head onto the rails,

Don't start sawing before you check the alignment which includes the guide rollers,

Its a dandy little mill,  if you can load it on the bed it will saw it

best
D

luap

Well, I wish I had taken some pictures but it was hot and we were busy. It went very well. The track is laid out and leveled  on a cement slab that formerly had a house trailer on it. We walked the head off the pallet that was on a trailer and slid it down a plywood ramp onto the rails. Spent a lot of time searching through the boxes and bags of bits and pieces for the right bolts and sorting out parts. Comical at times as he has one hand that he lost the fingers and were reattached but don't really work well. I only have the use of one hand also as it is disconnected in my brain and won't do what I tell it to. So even putting a nut on a bolt can be challenging.  If it was mine I would have it raised higher but it's what he wanted. He was mounting the motor as I had to leave. I appreciate the comments as once you are familiar it is second nature and intuitive. I have assembled lots of industrial machines but that was before disability. Now it's a little different.

Thank You Sponsors!