iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser on Mill to Find Cutting (entry) Point, has anyone tried this ?

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, February 06, 2011, 09:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I did a search and found that Northwoods 1 did a post on this some time ago.

I did not read that anyone has modified their mill with a lazer beam. So.. the question is.. has anyone bought a lazer and mounted it on their mill to find the mark (so-to-speak).

I'm interested in bandmill and swing blade ideas. I'd like to know about what's been tried and what problems were encountered. I read in the Northwoods1 post that cheap lasers are hard to see in the daylight.

So.. I'm guessing that only high dollar laser's will work on the mills. If someone has found a good lazer that works in the daylight.. I'd like to know name of it ______, cost _____ and where you got it from ______ ? 

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Bandmill Bandit

I have added a laser to my mill. I did not use the Woodmizer laser because it is red and red it hard to see in day light and when you do the digging the price is a bit out to lunch as well. I understand the reason the price is where it is but when every single component that makes up the actual laser part of the system  comes to Woodmizer from a list of resellers that double the price paid for it you get a pretty high price. I found the manufacturing source for those components. Unfortunately they are not Canadian or USA based but they do supply the components to a couple of assemblers here in Canada that jack the prices to ridiculous levels.

Send me an email and I will send you a spec sheet for a laser that will work pretty well for you. I tried to up load it but the uploader will not accept a PDF file.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

logwalker

I have a red Lacey-Harmer red laser. It is a great time saver and you get a good first cut every time. I work in a shed and most of the day i can use it, but not 100% of the time.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sdunston

A laser on a mill would be useful,If you are sawing light colored wood a red laser is ok and very cheap,The thing with red lasers is they dont like to show up on dark surfaces (like bark)but if it is your opion just carry a can of white spray paint and spray a wide line were you want the line to show up, remember even cheap lasers 600mm range can efect your eye sight over time. i got onr from harbor that I am going to install on my mill just to give a line of sight
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Thank You Sponsors!