iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

four side planer

Started by Deerlope, May 05, 2014, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deerlope

Hey guys where do I go to start looking for a four side planer that can also do T&G. I do not have any 3PH power so anything would either have to be small or can be run by an engine.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

woodman58

Logosol PH260 Single phase will work. Look at this page on the top right.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Dewey

You can either Buy or build a Phase Convertor.... I am almost set to start planning with my 4 sider....( I need to build my shavings building.. )
I had a fellow build a convertor out of a 20 HP electric motor.... It will start 75 hp of 3 phase motors.... But.... I have'nt run any lumber through it yet ..

Larry

You might look for Smithway XL's.  A lot of them had 2 hp on the side heads, 5 hp for the top and bottom, and 1/2 hp for the feed.  Years ago they were a common machine used in thousands of door and window shops.  I just sold one to a neighbor sawmill a couple of months ago.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Birchwood Logging

Let me sell you my Newman 8b its a 4 sided planer its a little big though lol about 5 tons and has a 50hp 3 phase motor. Boy will it chew through the wood
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

DGK

I have the Logosol PH260 in the 3 phase version using a phase converter. The machine does a very good job and makes money.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

scsmith42

A Baker M412 is another option to the logosol. You will need a high suction /volume dust collection system too. Between the Baker and the dust collection I have around 40hp of load when I run mine, which is a tad much for a phase converter. I run mine off of a 3-phase generator.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Dewey on May 05, 2014, 06:16:41 PM
You can either Buy or build a Phase Convertor.... I am almost set to start planning with my 4 sider....( I need to build my shavings building.. )
I had a fellow build a convertor out of a 20 HP electric motor.... It will start 75 hp of 3 phase motors.... But.... I have'nt run any lumber through it yet ..
I always heard the phase converter motor had to be twice as big and the motor you are starting. a 20 hp converter will start a 10 hp motor. Have you started a 75 hp motor with yours? I would like to see some pics of that because I need to build one for my mill to do away with my gen set.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

petefrom bearswamp

Ozarkgem, that is what I was told regarding creating the phantom leg.
Mine is a 20 running a 10 on my spiral head planer.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ozarkgem

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 10, 2014, 06:54:37 AM
Ozarkgem, that is what I was told regarding creating the phantom leg.
Mine is a 20 running a 10 on my spiral head planer.
I've looked at some factory ones and seems 30 hp 3 phase is all you can run on a 200 amp single phase system. But someone may have figured out a way. Lots of people smarter than me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!