iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who has operated the BMST50 Bandsaw Blade Sharpener and Tooth Setter

Started by Durf700, September 21, 2020, 05:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

Hi guys, i'm looking to purchase this manual CBN sharpener and setter tomorrow and am hoping to get some quick feedback as to if its a good machine.  I only go through about 2 blades a week.  I know its manual, but its a big jump up in cost to get the auto and then buy a setter for 4-600 more.  If you own it or have used it, please give me some input good or bad.  If the overall opinion is that the setter isn't good enough I will buy the automatic version and then a cooks single tooth setter.  I believe this unit does set 2 teeth at the same time which I like if it works well.

Durf700

With all the great feedback I decided to purchase and order this morning LOL.. i only need to sharpen a couple blades every few weeks so the manual option will work fine for me.  The cbn seemed like it was more important than anything.  I could of gotten cat claw with single setter for about 250 more, but would not have cbn ability. I will definitely report how it works for others once I sharpen and use a few blades.  

Outlaw

I have one and haven't had a lot of time on it. It takes some figuring out but it sharpens and sets as it should. But if I was sawing full time I would go with the 250.  
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

Durf700

I agree, if I was full time yes, the 250 would be a no brainer.. but I work 5 1/2 days a week and try to saw a few days a month for myself and others. until I retire I won't get any more time which is about 15 years if I'm lucky from now..  so this machine will be more than ok for me.  I would guess the time you save being able to set 2 teeth at a time would be pretty considerable.. that was the final deciding factor at least for me. 

Outlaw

I'm currently looking at making a desetter.  It will help getting consistent sets. 
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

Durf700

I called Woodmizer today and will be taking back the the BMST50 and upgrading to the 250 auto sharpener.

its alot more work than I hoped it would be and the setter just seems to be a little more work than I hoped.  I will just buy a cooks single tooth setter for now.

highleadtimber16

I started with the BMST50 and was not impressed at all. I sold it an got the BMS250 and a single tooth setter. I've now upgraded to the Sullfolk's duel tooth setter and it works great. You'll enjoy the 250, it does a very nice job.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Durf700

all I can say is WOW....  what a difference!   the BMS250 automatic CBN sharpener is definately a very nice piece of equipment!   I love this thing!!!  I ran 6 blades through it last night and now I will set them tonight.  this machine is just awesome! 

DarlaL

Quote from: Outlaw on September 22, 2020, 06:57:23 PM
I'm currently looking at making a desetter.  It will help getting consistent sets.
I just read this post now. I found my own desetter. I use a hardwood rolling pin. I mark the first few teeth, then, holding the blade open and flat on the table, I use the rolling pin by pressing down hard and running it along the blade. I rotate the blade about a foot, then do it again. It works. I hate desetting teeth. I've broken too many doing it the "recommended way". 
SMG Champion Portable Sawmill - BMST50 sharpener/toothsetter

DarlaL

Quote from: Durf700 on September 21, 2020, 05:08:11 PM
Hi guys, i'm looking to purchase this manual CBN sharpener and setter tomorrow and am hoping to get some quick feedback as to if its a good machine.  I only go through about 2 blades a week.  I know its manual, but its a big jump up in cost to get the auto and then buy a setter for 4-600 more.  If you own it or have used it, please give me some input good or bad.  If the overall opinion is that the setter isn't good enough I will buy the automatic version and then a cooks single tooth setter.  I believe this unit does set 2 teeth at the same time which I like if it works well.
I love the BMST50. It takes a while to get used to it, and to figure out what can be adjusted. But I love it. 
SMG Champion Portable Sawmill - BMST50 sharpener/toothsetter

firefighter ontheside

@DarlaL I bought the bms50 a few weeks ago and its going OK, but I don't have a setter yet.  I was thinking of getting the cooks.  Now I find a local guy selling a BMST50 for $1500 and I'm wondering if I'd be better just getting it and selling the bms50.  I like that the bms50 is automatic, but will I make better sharpened blades with the bmst and not have to get a separate setter.  I imagine I could sell the one I have for $500.  Total money I'd have in it would be about same.  Thanks for any input.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

That's a great price on the unit
A good dual tooth setter is going to cost about that.
You will get cbn and dual tooth setter
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

BMS 250 is on sale with Woodmizer $250 off and free shipping.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Durf700

bite the bullet and get the BMS 250 and the BMT 250.  I ended up selling my single tooth cooks setter and got the woodmizer duel tooth auto setter..  its amazing!  so sharpening and setting is full auto once tuned in.  only way to do it! 

Thank You Sponsors!