iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?

Started by MaddiesDad, March 03, 2009, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpg52

Wish I could compare the two, here's my $0.02.  As a future hobby sawyer, I've spent the last 3 years building my Belsaw.   :o

Still not finished (it's ready to saw, but there are NO safety features yet!).  Since I really want the sawdust (to mulch my 25 ac. of timberland), that isn't the issue. 

Wish now I'd just bought a bandsaw, at least then I would have been learning to saw instead of sharpening my engineering, layout and welding skills for the last 3 years.  Not that I regret it but I think the costs will be roughly the same by the time I finish.   ::)

Oh well, can't stop now, just wish it were finished so I could use it on the various logs before they turn to mush.  Still looking forward to making some sawdust, maybe by this Summer?  One can hope.   ;D

Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Meadows Miller on March 04, 2009, 08:14:37 PM
Gday

TTs im trying Mate  ;) :D :D ive done a few with without any  so im on my way  ;) :D
I just see it as a way of showing how i feel at the time  ;) ;D

Anyway hows the project on the old circ you got going ??? ;) ;D have you got anything done on it yet as I reckon it would tidy up into a Nice sawmill Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris

Funny you should ask Mate. I decided long ago not to set either of them up. Then I decided to set them both up at the same time, using the little tie mill as a top saw. Then I decided to sell them. I took a deposit from a fellow and never heard from him again. My attempts to reach him over the past couple years were unfruitful so I finally gave up.

So why did I say "Funny you should ask?" Because I have been talking with a fellow in Georgia recently who built a hybrid. He mounted a homemade powerhead turning a 23' bandsaw blade on a big forklift mast to raise and lower it, and uses his track for the circle mill he used to run, to run the logs through the stationery bandmill portion.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Those dancing men were for you Mate. ;D :D

So maybe I will use at least the track and carriage of the big circle mill after all. You never know about me, because I usually don't even have a clue what i may or may not do next.

Glad you took the smiley comments like I meant them. I must admit it was distractive to me at first, but now, I am not sure I would want you to change it. I wouldn't like everyone doing it but it sort of belongs to you as a trademark now so I think you ought to just keep doing what you are doing. It's part of what makes you who you are. ;)

P.S. The "Mate" thing is not hard for me to use. If you spent anytime here you would notice most American men would have soome trepidation in using that term toward each other. We think of our "mates" as the woman beside us in bed (most of is anyway  :o)

I was in the USCG and "Mate" is the term you are required to use when addressing one of your fellow recruits, so even to this day it's no big deal for me to use the term with a Brit or Aussie. I do not believe any of the other US armed services use that term though. :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!