iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Rust on table of table saw

Started by OneWithWood, September 17, 2006, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

You guys autta see my Craftsman table right now..  :D

I'm holding a 62 winchester Model 70 in 30'06 as we speak..  ;D twas a very good year. . 8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Ironwood

I sand it with 220 grit then finish out finer. It happens to me several times each year for various reasons.  ;D. YUP it is a users shop, just the way it is. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mike_van

If those pits are so deep that they're rough, I wonder if JB Weld would work to fill in, then sand off?  The stuff is amazing, I fixed a leaky seam on a gas tank with it, and also a cracked block [from a rod hitting it] on a Briggs engine.  Both are still working today.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

I learned something from a couple of my old engine buddies up in da U.P. last time up there. They were talking about having cured this problem with rusting in thier garages. anything like the table saws and such, and even disassembled engines. THey sais the easy cure is to simply cover with REAL canvas. Not poly tarps and such. Vic and Ken both claim that is all there is to it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

How ABOUT USED RUBBER ROOF MATERIAL, IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN REAL CANVAS, TAKE IT FROM A GUY WITH TONS OF STUFF OUTSIDE!!! REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

solodan

I just use the polytarps, cause if I start using something that really works, like rubber roof material, then I will never build a home for all the stuff I have outside. I really love late spring after all the snow is gone, cause I find all kinds of things that I forgot I had. ::) :D

And my method for removing rust is the same as Reid's, for the same various reasons ;D

SwampDonkey

I've been cleaning my table tops off my wood working equipment today. Been using super fine steel wool and WD-40 and wipe off with a rage. I see OWW used mineral spirits. That what we call mineral oil, sometimes used as laxative? I might use that when I'm done, because WD dries away from the surface.

I know what you guys mean about rust when any wood is left sitting on the table tops.  I always tried to keep mine cleaned off, but when you don't use stuff for awhile, it gets neglected and forgotten. ::)

I'm working on a new bedside stand. I don't like the ones with drawers on top and bottom. I want drawer on top and doors on bottom.

cheers,  back to work.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Jeff, my tarps would mold. The old shop is quite damp in summer. I even get mold on concrete, and what ever alien it comes from, it even eats concrete.  Reminds me of the movie 'Alien' when they try to remove that thing off the guys face by cutting one of it's legs. It oozes out some kinda costic juice that eats down through the ship. ::)  DOH!!!! woowsers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

Swampy, mineral spirits is varsol up here, maybe down there too.  So far I've found a shot of red rust check on stuff before its left works well.  My drill press gets coated frequently.

SwampDonkey

A yes, varsol. I found I did a good job getting the rust off today. It never rusted as much as it did this time because I always kept stuff coated with oil, but this stuff ain't been used for about 4 years.  ::) Might get a can of the rust check to try. Mike's got some good stuff with his Rust Reaper products though. I gave all my stuff away as door prizes a couple years ago. Shipping is too expensive for me, but if I lived in Maine I wouldn't hesitate. UPS adds a fuel surcharge when they deliver stuff from state side now and you aren't notified by them until they arrive at the door for extra cash.

I got my hardwood planed up today and jointed, ready to do some cutting the length tomorrow. I think I'll try biscuit jointing the back and sides with my new jointer I ain't taken out of the box since I bought it 4 years ago.  ::)  :D I'm going to use butternut , birch and ash, love hardwood. The wood came from the woodlot a few years ago, should be good and dry now. I think I'll turn the legs out of the birch, I got some 1"-1/8 x 5" stock. If that don't suit me, I'll try some cherry. I think it's going to be nice with contrasting grain and light/dark pieces.  :) Bought a new one of then blades for the table saw you exchange to be sharpened. I didn't think or I would'a took my old one in and saved $50.  Doh!! ::)

TexasTimbers

OWW,

I didn't read where you said you were happy/unhappy with the results of your steel wool etc. I have a kit with 5 different bottles of chemicals for the table saw and the router. One of the bottles is formulated expressley for cleaning rust off of tables saws (or of course any such surface).
I am not at the shop but here in a couple hours i will be there and post the product info . . . .
Of course it does not contain a bottle labeled "Pit Filler".
On a different note, what brand/HP/# of Wheels feeder did you order and are you happy with it.

I need to upgrade to a 2HP or bigger and I think I want 4 wheels but I don't know for sure. Could you please share you experience with yours so far?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Hit the switch on the Makita router. The bit made about 5 turns and a fizz... :( Dead. I'm wondering if a fuse is in one of those. It's a 2.15 HP router mounted to a Craftsman table. Guess I'll have to buy a new one this summer.  ::) Had this one for about 14 years. Cheaper to buy one than to fix it. Shame.  ::)

TexasTimbers

OWW, and you other woodworkers, I picked up the bottle and it had the company's website on the bottle itself. Good thing I can't find the paperwork on it.CLICK HERE.
The stuff for removing the rust is called Top Saver. It works extremely well. I could have said very well but that would have been an understatement. Better than anything I have ever tried.

These are not a bunch of bottles of stuff that they are using to make money - all this stuff actually works to the point that you can clearly see and feel the difference.

Norm

Kevin I bought the grizzly 3/4 hp 4 wheel power feeder, it is a huge beast! Not sure what you are going to use a 2 hp one for but I was amazed at how big the 3/4 hp was.

jpgreen

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 13, 2006, 03:56:20 PM
Hit the switch on the Makita router. The bit made about 5 turns and a fizz... :( Dead. I'm wondering if a fuse is in one of those. It's a 2.15 HP router mounted to a Craftsman table. Guess I'll have to buy a new one this summer.  ::) Had this one for about 14 years. Cheaper to buy one than to fix it. Shame.  ::)

Brushes SD, brushes!!!

Most Makita's let you change out brushes easily.  Give that a looksee..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Norm on December 13, 2006, 04:34:37 PM
Kevin I bought the grizzly 3/4 hp 4 wheel power feeder, it is a huge beast! Not sure what you are going to use a 2 hp one for but I was amazed at how big the 3/4 hp was.

I have 16" 3 phase 7.5HP  table saw which you can cram 4" osage into and it won't bog down. I want to be sure I have enough ooomph behind the feeder. It might be overkill but it might not.  ???
I don't realy know how to size a feeder it's possible I would be going way overboard. What do you think?

SD, jp could be right but on most of the older Makita roiuters the brushes were not accessible, at least on the two old ones I have.

Norm

Well I can sure see why you are looking at that size. If you want I'll take a picture of mine to give you an idea of it's heft.

Robert got the 1hp version of the one I got so he may be able to give you an idea of it's abilities.

SwampDonkey

Kevin, I wouldn't even know what I was look'in at when I'm look'in at it.  There is a couple electrical shops around the area. Meanwhile, I used the table saw to do what I needed.

TexasTimbers

Thats cool Norm I will call the guy at Eagle (formwrly Oliver) he's been real helpful and is a fountain of knowledge on these machines.

SD here's what a brush access screw looks like. That big plastic thing with the slot screw. One one each side.
Some machines have an actual little "door" you have to remove but I don't think Makita ever used that type of thing. After you take the screw off, be careful while you are doing it it is spring loaded to keep pressure applied to the armeture (actually I think the commutator?), the "brush" itslef is not a "brush" at all but looks like a square or rectangular magnet, anywhere from a 1/4 to a 1/2" long that will have a crescent shape worn into the end. Or the thing in your case might be gone altogether. You can order brushes from tool repair shops online etc. If you even have brushes.

SwampDonkey

Kevin, I opened one up today to see what was inside and it was spring loaded as you say. There was a wire soldered onto a piece of brass. I might do a search online for a repair manual some day. I'll probably end up taking it to a shop. I know one outfit that is fast and reasonable with this kind of thing. I forget what this machine cost, gotta look that up to.

SwampDonkey

Amazon has one for $229, not the same model, but same Horse. It is also a lot quieter, and comes with a kit, and has variable speed (8000 - 24000 rpm).

TexasTimbers

Does that piece of brass look like it could hold a small rectangular or square magnet? Even if you do get a new one (we never have to justify buying a new tool; it's a mans' perogative) it would be a shame to toss the old one just for brushes.
And it is always good to have at least 2 routers of the same basic size because if you ever find yourself doing any kind of repetitive work that has two processes, not having to change bits all the time is a big time-saver.

Fla._Deadheader

Occasionally, the brushes are just pieces of carbon that are dropped into the hole where the brass thingy came out. Might check to see if there is any carbon piece(s) down in that hole. Might just be the carbon is gone and need new pieces.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Show us a pic Donk, we can save ya a few bucks!

SwampDonkey

I'll bring it up from the shop sometime in the next day or two. Busy ya know in the shop.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!