iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm Work

Started by Magicman, September 17, 2010, 08:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Not that I get any income from my farm, but work still has to be done.  Namely Bushhogging during this time of year.  Well I finally got it all done.  There are a couple of 5+ acre plots, but mostly 1-3 acres plus all of the roads and trails.  I finally had to just fill one gearbox with grease.

Disking the deer food plots will be next.  Both tires on the disk will finally have to be replaced.  The tractor will then need a complete fluid changout.  I wasn't planning on it, but it got two new batteries yesterday  :-\.

Model 3008 Bushhog.  My old 1530 JD has power enough for the 8', but can't lift it.  I'm using a semi-lift arrangement.  Lift on the front with 3 wheels in the rear.  That third center wheel does a good job keeping the blades out of the dirt when going over high spots. 

The disk needs tires.  A Grandson says "Pop, what is that?"   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR Buck

Quote from: Magicman on September 17, 2010, 08:12:47 PM
That third center wheel does a good job keeping the blades out of the dirt when going over high spots. 

I always thought the blades were supposed to hit the dirt.   Isn't is called landscaping?   Sooner or later it will all be flat and they won't hit any more.   :D :D :D :D

I've got one 20 acre pasture needing to be bush-hogged.   before I can get to it, I have an on the rad sawing job to knock out tomorrow, hay to haul on Sunday and fences to fix somewhere in between.     

Did I mention I have a day job?    Good thing too because I need someplace to go so I can rest.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ivey

Lynn, is that tool bar set up on the bush hog something that you added because lifting problem?
replaced battery in my tractor last week too! It would not have made through the winter..
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Chuck White

Those "bat-wing" brushhogs are nice, especially handy for doing your roadways!

Don't see too many of those old bead-breakers around anymore!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

I finally got tired of brush hogging myself and took those areas and turned them into hay field. The neighbor comes in and cuts and bales it for me and sends a check for my share.

I'm guessing your area may not be right for alfalfa but maybe a warm season grass would work.

Magicman

Quote from: Ivey on September 18, 2010, 12:46:31 AMLynn, is that tool bar set up on the bush hog something that you added because lifting problem? 

Not because of a problem.  That's a 3 point Quick Hitch.  (With the Bushhog, the top link is not used.)  I can just back up to an implement, raise the arms, and it snaps on.  It helps the old man hook stuff up.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Norm on September 18, 2010, 07:47:36 AMI'm guessing your area may not be right for alfalfa but maybe a warm season grass would work.

That would be nice, but in my case, it wouldn't work.  If I went into detail, it would end up in the Restricted or Wood Shed.   :-\

sandhills

Well there's been some talk about goats on a few threads lately, maybe you could get hooked up with some of them.....on second thought,think I'd just stick with the bushhog :D :D.  Hows the deer pop. there, we've got more than I can ever remember around here and starting to see a few really nice ones every now and then also.  What do you plant in your plots down that way?

Magicman

Quote from: sandhills on September 18, 2010, 11:04:55 AM
Hows the deer pop.......What do you plant in your plots down that way?

I saw a nice buck Thursday late.  He rubbed an Oak tree from top to bottom, just to show me that he was there

Oats and Wheat. 

Magicman

I got the "new" tires on the rims.  I'm not quite as fast as those pneumatic automatic jobs.  Plus using screwdrivers is a bit awkward.   :-\

MMMmmm, I'm now wondering if those tires could have gone for another year  ???   ;)

paul case

i dunno magic, they kinda look like they went for a year or so after they wouldnt hold air anymore! pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on September 18, 2010, 05:01:07 PM
i dunno magic, they kinda look like they went for a year or so after they wouldnt hold air anymore! pc

Yeah, there was a tractor with dual tricycle front I was looking at, and one front tire was completely wide open with a hole in it-- held up by the other tire. I commented casually that if I bought the tractor I'd have to get a new tire. The old boy said, "Yep, you can just about see the air in that one."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

paul case

that is how you can for sure tell if your tires are bad. if you can see the air. 
when i was in drivers ed in h.s. i told my dad about the penny test on tires they were teaching us. if you stick a penny in the tread with georges head toward the tire and you can see all of georges head then your tires are worn out. he said he had a different penny test, if you lay a penny on top of a tire and it dont go flat its good enough for now.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Magicman

When I finished disking/planting last year that one was in shreds.  I'd been waiting all year to do some tire work.  I had already found a couple of "casings" that will should last for many years.  ;)  :)

Don_Papenburg

I need a set of tires for my old glenco field cult.    It is getting harder to find 14" tires along the road ditches  with the economy and the cars all with those 17 ,18 and 19" wheels on them .  I might just have to make some steel wheels for it.   A fella I know told me that he had a flat on his old cub lawn mower  so he filled the tire with the window insulating foam . Said that it was still round after four years. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

You should be able to fine 15" wheels for it with the same bolt pattern.  I did.  15" tires are easier to find.

Raider Bill

Quote from: paul case on September 18, 2010, 08:26:16 PM
that is how you can for sure tell if your tires are bad. if you can see the air. 
when i was in drivers ed in h.s. i told my dad about the penny test on tires they were teaching us. if you stick a penny in the tread with georges head toward the tire and you can see all of georges head then your tires are worn out. he said he had a different penny test, if you lay a penny on top of a tire and it dont go flat its good enough for now.  pc

Down here in the states we have lincoln on our pennies. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Banjo picker

If you could ever get your hands on some air-craft tires they will run for a whilllllle..The state uses them of the front of their 2wd tractors and the back tires on the 15' bushhogs...I think they are about 20 ply....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 19, 2010, 09:14:37 AM

Much to the chagrin of some people around here-- I know people that hand you a $5 bill face down if they give it to you for change. They won't countenance old Abe.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

paul case

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 19, 2010, 09:14:37 AM

oops i am glad someone is paying attention to my mistakes. truth  is i should have known this since i get most of my pay in this currency. pc
pc

paul case

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 19, 2010, 07:03:55 AM
I need a set of tires for my old glenco field cult.    It is getting harder to find 14" tires along the road ditches  with the economy and the cars all with those 17 ,18 and 19" wheels on them .  I might just have to make some steel wheels for it.   A fella I know told me that he had a flat on his old cub lawn mower  so he filled the tire with the window insulating foam . Said that it was still round after four years. 
most 2wd  pre 2000 ford ranger pickups had 14'' wheels and most tire shops still have some used ones on hand around here.
my son aquired a lawnmower trailer that had 13'' tires and wheels . used 13'' tires are for the most part unfindable. had to change the wheels and do extra modification so that 15'' mustang wheels fit . pc
pc

terrifictimbersllc

You got it almost right except that is the test for having one too many, when you see george's head on the penny you're not supposed to drive :D :D :D.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

pc

Thank You Sponsors!