iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caribou success

Started by mart, September 04, 2016, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mart

My wife recently had shoulder surgery and because I had to be back at work on the north slope, my Mom came up from Washington to stay with her while Etta recuperated. I promised Mom when I got back from the slope I'd take her to a part of Alaska she'd never seen. We loaded up the camper and headed out to the Denali highway from the Paxson side. Mom was excited to do some camping and fishing, try out her new camera and it's huge telephoto lens. Of course I was wanting to get in some caribou hunting as well.

The girls had a ball picking berries and taking pictures. Mom loved it and even caught a nice pair of grayling for us for dinner one night. After a few days we decided to move farther along the highway to some other locations where I could boot hunt from camp and she could fish and take pictures. We hadn't gone fr when I spotted a small group of caribou about a mile off the road in a non motorized area. I decided to make the hike and hopefully put a successful stalk on these caribou and stock our freezer up a little.

I worked around a few little hills and ridges looking for them. The country there was quite broken with lots of pockets and terrain they could disappear into. I finally got on them after hiking around for a couple of miles and made a 200 yard trotting shot on what turned out to be a good sized dry cow. Mom got some good pictures with her zoom lens. The picture of me over looking the lake is over a mile from the road. The pack out ended up being right at 3/4 mile and required two heavy trips. It was worth it though. We grilled up the tenderloin when we got home and my gosh they were good.

Thanks for looking guys.

Headed out for the stalk.

Where did they go?

The group minus one.

Success with the 400 Whelen.

First load almost back to the truck.

First load back.

Almost back with the second load.

The girls with some berries.

Mom with a nice grayling.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Magicman

Many thanks for sharing your successful outing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Thanks for sharing these great photos and story of your successful trip. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ken

Thanks for posting those pictures and story.  Very nice results
Lots of toys for working in the bush

goose63

Thank's for taking me along mart.

I have a good friend up there one day i would love to get up there for some hunting
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

I've seen blueberries like that right here at my place. Never seen a caribou or a grayling around here.  ;D Nice!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Czech_Made

Living the good life!  Thanks for sharing and pictures.

mart

Thanks guys for all the nice remarks. This has to be the friendliest forum on the internet. It's would be hard to stay in a bad mood after a few minutes with the great folks here.

Mom had an awesome time. I had to rein her in a little. She was wearing tennis shoes and wanting to come out and help her son. I had to describe to her what walking on tundra is like. Kind of like trying to walk through a room full of underinflated wet basketballs. She'd never caught grayling before and had a ball. We must of caught and released 50 of them before she got that big one. She got another one just slightly smaller and we had a nice meal that evening. Grayling is best right out of the water.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: mart on September 08, 2016, 08:22:03 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice remarks. This has to be the friendliest forum on the internet. It's would be hard to stay in a bad mood after a few minutes with the great folks here.

Mom had an awesome time. I had to rein her in a little. She was wearing tennis shoes and wanting to come out and help her son. I had to describe to her what walking on tundra is like. Kind of like trying to walk through a room full of underinflated wet basketballs. She'd never caught grayling before and had a ball. We must of caught and released 50 of them before she got that big one. She got another one just slightly smaller and we had a nice meal that evening. Grayling is best right out of the water.

Right, for best results, have your fire going, frying pan greased, then go fishing!

The Grayling is a fish that is actually quite delicate and after they are caught, the quality of the meat deteriorates quite quickly, you can actually watch it happen.

They are a really good eatin' fish!   digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Mart, congrats on the succesful hunt and making your family happy.   You taught me a little more about Alaska, a place I am determined to visit someday (soon). 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mart

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 10, 2016, 01:52:46 PM
Mart, congrats on the succesful hunt and making your family happy.   You taught me a little more about Alaska, a place I am determined to visit someday (soon). 8)

Come on up. The coffee's always on and I'll even let you tail the mill. ;D

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!