iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The log moose house build

Started by moosehunter, August 07, 2020, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Mike,
Saw the clothes and suspenders and suspected Amish.
Good lookin building so far and Im sure The rest will be good too.
Did you find your Hemlock?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moosehunter

No on the hemlock. I need to fix a minor mistake on my part. I'll use store bought 2x12 and joist hangers. Need to make twelve "bridges" between two floor joists because I put a 8x12" beam in the wrong place. I'll try to take pics of the mistake and my fix this weekend. I should put it in the" I did something dumb" thread.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

Sounds like wall support bridging?

For log R value this is the code referenced chart, to the right of the heavy stairstepped line passes. It is based on density and conductivity. There is also a longhand method on the facing page to this table, I've never tried it.

Stephen1

Quote from: Crusarius on August 18, 2020, 09:38:45 AM
I would think your still going to get a good amount of thermal transfer through the logs. Curious to know how it feels through a NY winter. Still looks really nice.
Looks like a great build!
I am farther north, my logs are 10" average and it is always warm. ! corner is drafty on a windy night. I am rechinking the cabin after 10 years. it should really solve the draft. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

moosehunter

Notches cut for great room beam system ceiling/roof

DonP, yes to wall support bridging. Do you think that R value is a true indicator of a logs ability to insulate? I'm under the impression that R value doesn't take into account thermal mass and the ability of log to insulate is much higher.

mh

Don P

That table is taking mass effect into account, that is what the specific gravity on the left side is about. The heat capacity goes up as the s.g. goes up even though as you can see the R value is going down as the s.g. goes up.

There are a few pages to this section I can scan if you want to delve deeper but this section might help;
305.4.2 Applying the Thermal Mass Effect: When the wall assembly is determined to have sufficient thermal mass, the wall shall be deemed to comply with the code and is permitted to be further evaluated as a mass wall with integral insulation. The steps provided in this section are required for compliance with the International Energy Efficiency Code.

But as Stephen1 alluded to if you have infiltration you can't beat that with mass or insulation, draft control is the first order of business with any home. Log has many joints, that is usually the source of the problem when people say log homes don't perform well.

Bruno of NH

The drafty areas are what get you.
Good chinking helps a lot.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moosehunter

Hopefully drafts will not be a problem. The logs have a double t&g with a bead of log builders caulk on both inside and outside. The t&g is pretty tight.
mh

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm liking this build!

Is this your forever home?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

Jon, it is intended as such. Hopefully the NYS property taxes won't drive us out of it when we retire!
mh

Bruno of NH

The drafts don't come from the logs on the ones I built.
They could show up at electrical boxes and wiring chases in the log walls.
You can buy airtight boxes.
With special care around exterior doors.
Top of log wall and roof transitions.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moosehunter

samandothers

Wow! Really coming together!  Looks great.

moosehunter

As a point of interest,... We live in the basement. Have for 2.5 yrs. The basement roof ( floor system) is covered with an edpm rubber roofing. It has worked fine for 2.5 years. I lot of thought went into trying to keep our home (basement) dry while the upstairs was under construction. There are a lot of holes that need to be drilled for wiring and such. We have had a couple of small rains but nothing of significance until this past Saturday. It rained hard for an hour or so. Our roof leaks!! The builder tried his best but I really didn't think he could do all this work without a leak or three. Or four. It's all good. A few more weeks and we will have a real roof and no leaks. 
mh

moosehunter

Setting the ridge beam.

The truss truck is here!!

I'm hooking the crane to the trusses.

The trusses are all up. Just over an hour.
mh

Stephen1

Now that is looking great! 
The taxes on water front are the killer, I am at that point also north of you. I will b renting the Cabin on Airbnb to help pay them. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

Looks good!! Progress is being made.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

Only one more gable wall then the ceiling/ roof work starts.
mh

scsmith42

This is coming along nicely.  I'm enjoying watching your progress.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

samandothers

Steady progress!  Looks great, I know you are getting excited!

Weekend_Sawyer

Looking Good!
Thanks for the progress updates.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

Some porch roof rafters up 

Great room ceiling coming along nicely

samandothers

Really nice!  I like the wood in the logs and continued on the ceiling.  The knots are really nice.   What is the open area, some sort of ridge venting?  Y'all, I am sure, will love it!
Think you can get use to not living in the basement?

moosehunter

The ceiling wasn't done yet!

They had to wait for me to finish painting the brackets.

samandothers

Very Nice!  Brackets look sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!