iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The log moose house build

Started by moosehunter, August 07, 2020, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

All that work up in flames! Oh well can't make much out of the scraps. On the other hand it's almost time for a roof!

Spray foam dude was here today. Metal comes Monday 8)
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

so what'd you do? wrap the roof with tarps or rubber then spray onto that?

moosehunter

The great room ceiling has a layer of this on top of the t&g pine

Then the spray foam

Then a layer of bubble insulation, then perlins , then foam backed bubble insulation and finally the metal roof.

First piece of metal is up. Valley flashing.
mh

moosehunter

Had some logs left over. I tend to over do things sometimes just to make sure I'm not short. 

This fellow drove 3 hours and got a smokin' deal on 800 ln ft of logs. I'm glad they will get used and not sit here and rot.
More progress on the roof

mh

moosehunter

Windows!!!

Roof is 98%
It'll be weather tight soon.
mh

Walnut Beast

samandothers

You keep this up you will have a home!

Looks great!  Dried in and air tight just in time.

thecfarm

The finished product looks good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

I like your choice of color for the roof! ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

Jon, I think the roof color was chosen about 25 years ago when we first started dreaming of this house.
mh

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

moosehunter

Need a little advise or direction. What would you do with this

Not a structural issue, just wondering if I should try to fill with something? I have a few of these around the house, some of them at a level where clothing could catch on them. If I were to fill and sand what would be a good product? @ Don P

firefighter ontheside

I would use something like Big Stretch caulk.  Its the same stuff they use for chinking on log homes.  It will always stay flexible.  I have used lots of it on my log home.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

moosehunter

We used caulk between the logs but what am talking about is the defect in the face of the log. It is the interior surface. Outside I might use the log builders caulk. 
mh

Don P

I'm assuming it is the splintery, raised area above the check we're talking about. You can slide blue tape in the check under it, gently open it up and work some epoxy into the loose grain then duct tape it down till that sets. Then pull the tape and sand the next day. Once you start sanding it can turn into a whole wall thing.

Crusarius

I agree with Don, you could turn those into some pretty unique details by filling them with something that sticks out. You could also try the glue and sawdust mix and see what you can come up with.

My thought is stain will not stick to either so more than likely it is going to stick out like a sore thumb. So why not embrace it.

moosehunter

I'll try that Don. Let you know how it goes. 
We have " character" all over this build. The more knarley the knot, the more we wanted it front and center.
mh

Magicman

You could use a router and then inlay your own knot. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWyatt

You could just hang a picture there. :D

Don P

We had an electrician on one job, not sure what empty thought was going on his head but he drilled clean thru a log from inside to outside. I guess used to feeling the bit drop into a void in a hollow wall :D.  Yup, had to whittle down a branch to make a "knot". The grain around it sure didn't say knot though.

moosehunter

Speaking of electricians,  ours was here yesterday and I came home to this

We have some working lights now!! 
mh

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

moosehunter

Update. 

The shower in the guest bath. It will get glass doors. I have the other shower almost done.
Both bathroom floors done. The entrance/ hall should be done in a few more days then I'll be done tiling. I do not like tiling but don't like paying someone else to do it either!

Stairs are built and usable. I don't think we will finish them until most of the construction is done. Was hoping to be further along by now but the stairs and tile work really kicked my donkey. Things should move a little quicker as I move on to projects I am more comfortable with.
mh

Crusarius

The finish work always takes about 10 times longer than you think it should. Hardest part is being patient and just doing it right.

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

River19

Looks great.  My wife and I built our log cabin in northern VT back in 2009 in our early 30s when we had more time and and a little more energy.  We also documented it in a forum at the time and that helped keep us going for the 50 weeks it took to get it done.

The cabin will be plenty warm for those that mentioned that earlier in the thread.  Our logs are 6" D logs and once the cabin is warm it stays pretty darn toasty with a properly sized wood stove cranking along.

The checks and drafts will come and the maintenance will be there, it is what it is, we all know that going into a log home.

Of course there are some things we would have chosen to do differently if we did it again, but nothing that keeps us from enjoying the finished product.

Curious what your exterior finish product is going to be.......?

Thank You Sponsors!