iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had a thought.

Started by customsawyer, January 16, 2022, 11:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I think there must be some bad weather over most of the U.S. based on the number of folks on the forum. :D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Yup, PatD is recovering from a bit of oral surgery so I

Built her a nice flicker and

Built her a nice Snowman out on the deck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Jake, I was thinking the same.  I was surprised to see you posting after 630 a.m.  We had a line of showers this morning and I've used that as an excuse to be lazy today.  I may haul off the slabs from yesterday's sawing and may even saw a few pecky cypress logs.  The weather won't be a legitimate excuse for me much longer, the sky is clearing up and it is still comfortable outside in shorts.
Caveman

Don P

I just made the first pass at clearing the high tunnel, got lazy and hopped in the truck to come up for lunch, I'll be firing up the dozer to rescue the truck presently  :D

Raider Bill

We had tornado warnings going off this morning. 
Harsh way to wake with a touch of ginfluenza. 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SawyerTed

Sitting inside a little cabin in Northern Virginia.  Snow and sleet since 11:00 am. Spending quality time with the Mrs. and on the Forum 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

I have hardly hit a lick at a snake all day. Walked out and fed the horse, put a few bungy cords on the tire chains on he R rear tractor tire that had come off and I put back on a few days ago. I also went and got an extension cord and plugged in the heat wires to the gutters so they don't thaw, refreeze and break the gutters off.

I had filled the woodbox and pulled another cart full next to the loading chute yesterday in case we got enough snow it was hard to get back up to the woodshed in the pasture.

Lynn,

Sorry to see and hear about that blizzard in Mississippi. I assume the governor has declared a state of emergency and called out the national guard till the weather improves. :D I assume that is half your winter wood supply we see in the fireplace.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Very cold here below 0 
Monday 6 to 12 of snow 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SwampDonkey

Quote from: customsawyer on January 16, 2022, 11:30:01 AM
I think there must be some bad weather over most of the U.S. based on the number of folks on the forum. :D :D
No, it just feels a lot nicer where it is warm and dry. ;D Hey, I did push snow for 2-1/2 hrs this morning @ -2F. I've never been cold working in cold. It would be down right miserable sitting on a loader truck with no heated cab, I would not want that position. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

+4° here today and going up. Went out to clean around the new Hot Rod shop [scrap wood]
Had to take off my coat, starting to sweat.
I think it went up to 20°
Snow tomorrow Will be making 1x12x8 I think.
Don P good one. :D :D ;)

Customsawyer how do you like working at home all the time?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andries

I'm on the forum and the weathers normal . . for Canada. Did I see photos of snow in Georgia? ! ! What IS the world comin' to ? 🥶
Lit the woodstove in my shop and by suppertime, I estimate to have burned the equivalent to MMs entire winter stockpile.😉
The only critter outside was this cutie:

I was making glue up panels of ash and had a GD playing in the sawdust under the jointer for most of the pm. Turns out that her favourite tool in the shop is a rolling floor jack. She's WonderWoman now because she could lift her grandpa up by herself!  😁 Sanding ash panels isn't as much fun as playing with a six year old. 

Sanded panel.

Panel with finish.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

I commend you for keeping your priorities straight. Time with a 6 y/o is priceless!

I commented today about our 2 youngest GKs who are 3 & 5 and at the perfect age to enjoy everything. They had a light dusting of snow in Charlotte and they loved playing in it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 16, 2022, 05:41:50 PMSorry to see and hear about that blizzard in Mississippi.
It brutally cold here, 34° this morning with that dumping of snow and jeepers, it's 35° now with a forecast of 33° tonight !!!   :-X  Folks that is almost down to freezing.   :o :o

I have kept that flicker going in the insert all day long and probably used 8 sticks of firewood.  This has gotten beyond serious.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

Hold on now, it's 33° down there.  It's 45° up here still,  almost all the snow melted. I doubt this happens very often.  You might have to scrape your windshield. I might not wear long johns  to work tomorrow, supposed  be warm again (relatively). HMMM go figure!

Old Greenhorn

Geez Lynn, are you guys gonna get thru this ok? That sounds dire and frightening. You have already used the entire amount of kindling I use in a week (because my fires never go out and I rarely use kindling). But everything is relative and I hope you folks can hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel, I'm sure. It was chilly here this morning (-4°) so I think I can empathize a bit. We are not having much difficulty but I do have to put on a jacket and even a hat when I go outside.
 I hope you folks get through it. Keep us updated.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

We are supposed to get lucky here. Light snow started an hour ago and should turn to rain 6am. That's fine with me. Finished the mud saw chip auger today for the new mill. 7 days a week since mid october and hope to be sawing next month. These cold cloudy days are the best for working, nobody comes around. When it snows it is the same amount of work and fuel as sawing but I can't ever sell the snow.

customsawyer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 16, 2022, 07:54:55 PM
+4° here today and going up. Went out to clean around the new Hot Rod shop [scrap wood]
Had to take off my coat, starting to sweat.
I think it went up to 20°
Snow tomorrow Will be making 1x12x8 I think.
Don P good one. :D :D ;)

Customsawyer how do you like working at home all the time?

It's not to bad. I enjoy the commute a lot more now that I don't have one. It can get difficult dealing with all of the customers when I was used to dealing with one. Sure don't burn as much fuel, but burn a lot more electricity.

Andries those boards are awesome.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

It was 33° when I got up this morning and has now dropped to 32°.  Da fire is ah burning.  fire_smiley

I ain't sawing but I did do my 2021 year end Taxes yesterday.  I am trying to slow down but 2021 was still one of my better years income wise.

SawyerTed

To my northern friends, if you are missing your weather, it is drunk down here in my yard!  Y'all are welcome to come get it!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

Yea, leave it be. We'll get it in the spring.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

YellowHammer

Even the deer wanted to come inside to get warm yesterday.  Some of these are inside the fence in the backyard.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 17, 2022, 07:51:00 AMTo my northern friends, if you are missing your weather, it is drunk down here in my yard!  Y'all are welcome to come get it!

We thought you would like a sample of it, if you like it you can keep it. No money down and no payments!! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Andries on January 16, 2022, 08:43:47 PM
I'm on the forum and the weathers normal . . for Canada. Did I see photos of snow in Georgia? ! ! What IS the world comin' to ? 🥶
Lit the woodstove in my shop and by suppertime, I estimate to have burned the equivalent to MMs entire winter stockpile.😉
The only critter outside was this cutie:

I was making glue up panels of ash and had a GD playing in the sawdust under the jointer for most of the pm. Turns out that her favourite tool in the shop is a rolling floor jack. She's WonderWoman now because she could lift her grandpa up by herself!  😁 Sanding ash panels isn't as much fun as playing with a six year old.

Sanded panel.

Panel with finish.
Definitely some eye candy 👍

Thank You Sponsors!