iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cbn grinding oil?

Started by MattM, July 04, 2022, 08:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattM

My cbn sharpener should be arriving in another week or two and I was wondering what people are using for grinding oil? WM brand is too expensive for what it is. 

I live off grid so I don't have 24/7 heat in my shop and rarely even light a fire in there during the winter.
I can get cutting fluid concentrate locally that you mix with water... But I would rather stay away from that as it apparently freezes below -5 C. I was thinking of using a light hydraulic oil but I'm not sure what effect that would have on the cbn wheels life.

I'm pretty sure I remember posts about people on here using ISO HYD oil on these machines but I could not find them with the search.

If you are using an alternative oil can you let me know what it is and are you still getting a lot of sharpenings out of a cbn wheel?

LT35HDG25

customsawyer

I use mineral oil. It works great and you don't have the smell that you get with the other oils.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Percy

I use the lightest hydraulic oil I can find...15 I think is the number.. Like Customsawyers mineral oil, it doesnt stink  up the sharpening shack. CBN wheels seem to last for a really long time...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

YellowHammer

Mineral oil, here.  It's non toxic, easy to acquire, and works fine.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

MattM

Wow that was quick! Thanks guys. 

The cheapest I can find mineral oil here(so far) is almost 30$cdn a gallon so I might end up going with the light weight hydraulic oil like Percy. I have one more place to call to price the mineral oil... Hopefully they are cheaper.
LT35HDG25

Percy

Ya. The arctic Hydralic oil is pretty pricey too 20 liter pail is abou 150.00 at petrocan. 😳😳
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MattM

Yikes! I'd say it's pricy. I get my oil at Walmart (65$ for 5gal) or if they don't carry what I need an oil supplier which used to be pretty cheap but with everything on the go in the world right now it's about 80-110$ for 5gallons.  I actually ended up getting 2 gallons of mineral oil off Amazon for now for 23$ a gallon. I won't be going to town until my sharpener gets here in a couple of weeks and I don't really want to add trying to track down oil to what will already be a long day.
LT35HDG25

Crossroads

What sharpener did you get?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

MattM

I'm getting a BMS250.

I've been using a woodland mills drag sharpener for the past 5 years or so but I find it very slow and it just doesn't do a consistent and quality job. It was good for the price (at the time) but it's definitely ment to be a hobby sharpener for someone that only needs to sharpen a blade once every blue moon.
LT35HDG25

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

It always helps when you you fill
out your information. Location, country , machinery 
I am switching to mineral oil as soon as this Pail from WM is done. 
I understand you have to watch out for additives in the different oils .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!