iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storms

Started by David_c, September 10, 2003, 11:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

was on my way to exange broken loppers today on way i saw big old pine broken off about 6-8 feet from ground and i remeberd comming home from freinds house one night we were having a pretty severe snowstorm i'm driving up this one road about 1.5 miles from house and i come across a tree that had falling across road to big to move so i turn around i go maybe 150 yards theres another tree is across road luckly i was able to move this one enough to get by. could'nt of missed by about 2-3 min tops.  :o :o

CHARLIE

Hmmm....I'd say you must have a pretty good Guardian Angel looking after you. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

David_c

my thoughts exacly i'll tell you i wasted no more time getting home that night usually like driving in storms like that. 8) 8)

RavioliKid

The storms I encounter don't usually involve trees falling, but I do get a certain sense of "aliveness" from driving in really heavy snow storms.

It must be my Buffalo background. We hardly ever get a good, heavy snow here in Kalamazoo. At least, the snow fall don't impress me!
RavioliKid

David_c

hey raviolikid i dont think many places can compare to buffulo when it comes to snowfall you got all that lake effect snow. and i'll tell you i dont run into falling trees either and i do love being out in snowstroms whether driving or walking in the woods 8) 8)

Tobacco Plug

All this talk of storms makes me think of Hurricane Isabel a-roaming around in the Atlantic.  That reminds me of Hurricane Fran which came up the Cape Fear River (well, really I-40) and did considerable damage here.  We had to cut up downed trees to get out of our driveway and up the road.  Where I was building my house I had several trees down and in fact that storm made me determined that there would be no large trees within reach of my house when I built it.  I live in a large clearing now.  Anyway, all this rambling does have a point.  Hurricane Fran (1996) was a great disaster, but also a great opportunity for sawmill owners.  People for miles around gave me logs if I would only cut them and get them out of thier yards.  I had months of backed up custom sawing jobs.  In fact, a couple of months ago I had a potential customer show me a stack of logs he said were from Fran that he wanted sawed.  I looked at them but the pine was of course much too far gone and told him that it would probably be a waste of his time.  The logs were in pretty bad shape, even for wood for a shed or shelter type project.  While I certainly don't wish for another hurricane, as all the lost timber really broke my heart, as did all the wasted wood that went into huge mulch piles, I can't complain about the opportunities we had at that time.  It was exciting. ;D :(
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Thank You Sponsors!