The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: storms  (Read 871 times)

Offline David_c

• treat people the way you want to be treated.
    • Share Post
storms
« on: September 10, 2003, 11:19:17 AM »
was on my way to exange broken loppers today on way i saw big old pine broken off about 6-8 feet from ground and i remeberd comming home from freinds house one night we were having a pretty severe snowstorm i'm driving up this one road about 1.5 miles from house and i come across a tree that had falling across road to big to move so i turn around i go maybe 150 yards theres another tree is across road luckly i was able to move this one enough to get by. could'nt of missed by about 2-3 min tops.  :o :o

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
Re: storms
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 09:03:35 PM »
Hmmm....I'd say you must have a pretty good Guardian Angel looking after you. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline David_c

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 09:13:31 PM »
my thoughts exacly i'll tell you i wasted no more time getting home that night usually like driving in storms like that. 8) 8)

Offline RavioliKid

• If it's FREE, I'll take it; If it's CHEAP, I'll buy it; NEVER throw anything away!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 05:56:06 AM »
The storms I encounter don't usually involve trees falling, but I do get a certain sense of "aliveness" from driving in really heavy snow storms.

It must be my Buffalo background. We hardly ever get a good, heavy snow here in Kalamazoo. At least, the snow fall don't impress me!
RavioliKid

Offline David_c

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 09:56:08 AM »
hey raviolikid i dont think many places can compare to buffulo when it comes to snowfall you got all that lake effect snow. and i'll tell you i dont run into falling trees either and i do love being out in snowstroms whether driving or walking in the woods 8) 8)

Offline Tobacco Plug

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 03:44:34 PM »
All this talk of storms makes me think of Hurricane Isabel a-roaming around in the Atlantic.  That reminds me of Hurricane Fran which came up the Cape Fear River (well, really I-40) and did considerable damage here.  We had to cut up downed trees to get out of our driveway and up the road.  Where I was building my house I had several trees down and in fact that storm made me determined that there would be no large trees within reach of my house when I built it.  I live in a large clearing now.  Anyway, all this rambling does have a point.  Hurricane Fran (1996) was a great disaster, but also a great opportunity for sawmill owners.  People for miles around gave me logs if I would only cut them and get them out of thier yards.  I had months of backed up custom sawing jobs.  In fact, a couple of months ago I had a potential customer show me a stack of logs he said were from Fran that he wanted sawed.  I looked at them but the pine was of course much too far gone and told him that it would probably be a waste of his time.  The logs were in pretty bad shape, even for wood for a shed or shelter type project.  While I certainly don't wish for another hurricane, as all the lost timber really broke my heart, as did all the wasted wood that went into huge mulch piles, I can't complain about the opportunities we had at that time.  It was exciting. ;D :(
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Storms

Started by Chico on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 10:52:54 PM
by epiphoneprs
xx
Storms in the Mid-Alantic

Started by DR_Buck on General Board

17 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 07:32:29 AM
by Roxie