iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storms in the Mid-Alantic

Started by DR_Buck, July 01, 2012, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Anyone suffer damage from the Friday night storms? We've been without power since Friday evening.  Going to be over 100° again today and no air-conditioning.   :(   Unless we have trees down out in the back 40 there is no damage here.  The rest of our area didn't do well though.  Over 1 million without power and some roads still closed because of downed trees.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

clww

Some rain, lightning, and lots of wind here in VB. No trees down or loss of power, so far (as he knocks on wood).
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roxie

We just got back from going to help my son in Dover, Delaware, cut down some trees and limbs that fell on his property.  There were some very interesting widow makers, and a rope and pulley were involved, but we made certain the yard was safe for the little ones.  Got a pickup load of nice firewood as a bonus.

The worst damage we saw was in Galena, Maryland.  It had to be a twister the way that huge pieces of trees were thrown and dropped in areas that had no trees. 
Say when

doctorb

More free firewood.  Power's on.  Everybody is safe.  That was an awesome storm.!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Delawhere Jack

Vineland NJ really got hammered. I just took a recon trip over there. It seems like everybody has piles of limbs out by the curb. Powerlines down everywhere, and some really scary looking trees on lines alongside the road that they haven't gotten to yet.  Lots more snapped off trees than uprooted ones. It's goind to take them the rest of the summer to cleanup.

Roxie

Pictures of the clean up Sunday.

I was thinking in that last picture, that Chet would be proud. 
Say when

Patty

Oh Roxie, I am so glad no one was hurt. Good on you and Cowboy Bob to come to the rescue!  8)

Was your home area touched by the storm as well?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Roxie

The storm was well south of our home, Patty.   :)

You know how Mom's are...why lecture him on phone about being careful when I can go personally nag him about being careful while he's working.   :D
Say when

Patty

You got it Roxie!! I have the art of nagging on my sons down to a skill few have ever witnessed.  ;D  I figure it is my duty as a mom.  ;D

I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

fstedy

The storm hit my area pretty hard. About 170,000 without power the first several days, some will be out until the end of next week. I've lived in this area my whole life and never felt the house shake like it did when those first gusts of wind came thru. Rode out many hurricanes but never had destructive wind like that. I lost power for 2 days and am located olong the main transmission line. In the past we were never without power for more than 2-3 hours. Had an 18" Mulberry tree go down across my shed. It punched three 12" holes in the roof so I feel pretty the main structure survived. Lots of old oaks in the area many with decayed centers that caused all the downed power lines.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Qweaver

There is much damage in WV.  We got power back on last night but thanks to my generator we have been OK.  Used about $100 in gas tho'.  Many are still without power.  Many of my relatives are asking me to set them up with whole house generators now.   :D  My system is not automatic and I like it that way.  I have an 11000 watt welder/generator mounted on a small trailer and I can take it where I need it.  Flip the mains, plug in the 50 amp plug and I can run the whole house as long as I don't try to use the oven, dryer and cooktop at the same time. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

tree-farmer

All folks effected have my sympathy. Was curious though in watching a news report from DC area. There were 10 families on a dead end road in city, large tree fell  blocking entrance, taking out power line and roots pulling up water line at same time. They had been stuck for a couple of days not able to get out, no power, and no water. They were waiting for rescue...???? Cannot believe no one had a chain saw, or even a bow saw or axe to remove tree. Looked to be 20-30 inch dia. I was brought up to be self reliant as much as possible, cannot relate to waiting to be rescured. Everyone should have some sort of backup plan for the what-ifs in life. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

doctorb

t-f:

Obviously, I don't know the particulars of this situation, but I'll bet it's the downed power wires entangled in that tree that has caused the folks to not attack it with a chainsaw.  The public service messages around here ask you to stay away from trees with downed wires.  But you've got to believe that you would create a drive around so you could get into and out of your place safely.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dan_Shade

if a downed tree has power lines tangled up in it, you're crazy/foolish to try to remove it without proper training.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

The instance that I saw on the news was disheartening and someone could have perished.  They were all elderly and unable to care for themselves and assumed that others knew of their peril and would attend to their needs.  They did not know or realize the extent of the widespread damage.  They were placing blame when no one was at fault.  My heart went out to them.

During my working years in the telephone industry, I saw and was fully involved with many such storm restoration efforts.  There are many very real dangers, but there are also the rewards of seeing the power and communication grids restored.  The teamwork between the workers is always commendable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Activgurl

Power went out here about 6:30 pm Last Friday.  Over 300,000 affected homes.  Power back on this morning, 9 a.m.  Cut up 3 oaks & a maple, then the rope pulled out of the saw.

Roxie

Glad you are okay, Activgurl!  Was there any damage to your property, other than the trees?  Did you have use of a generator for that week without power? 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!