iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaciausa and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ljohnsaw

I guess I forgot to post yesterday. I went up for the day. I milled up the first log. Well, I broke it down. It was 30" so one opening cut at about 2" then one 2" slab to make a 2x8. Then two 8" cants/slabs, flip, open, one 2" slab to make a 2x8. But, I botched it. Ended up with 7.5 or so can't. So I made eleven 2x6s out of this one cant.

I rediscovered an issue with the mill. The first section has a little bit of a smile (dip) in the track. When edging, it shows up. And if you edge both sides, it compounds making an hour glass shape. So I held off processing the other two cants.

I moved the other, bigger log (34") towards the middle of the bed. It did a slow motion roll, sinking the backstops and rolled off the back. It took out a 5 foot section of 2x3 angle track that bridged between two sections of track. Made it into a hockey stick. :(

So I spent an hour straightening it out using the SkyTrak fork tilt hydraulics.

Back to milling, I did the same cuts, stacking the cants and standing up the last one for milling when I return on Wednesday.

This log was a little ornery. Just as my band was exiting, it pinched the band and stalled the engine. Twice. These cants were so heavy (8"x34"), I couldn't get a wedge in to lift so I had to use the log tongs.

It was a chilly day. Got there a little after 8 and it was 34°. Got up to 46° and windy all day. Left at 5:30 as the temperature dropped.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/3/2023:

Went up for a few days. Nights are in the 40s again. I'm staying in a neighbor's cabin with a nice wood fire. I thought I had five 16.5 foot logs to mill. Turns out there is 6. And they are not all 16s. One was just 15.

I had this fun one at 24" diameter. It would roll down a steep enough hill so I think it qualifies as a log  ;)

Got twenty one 2x8s out of it that I cut extra wide to trim up after drying. We'll see in the spring. I loaded up a smaller one for next week. The remaining two are about 28" and 36" in diameter.

The second stack is growing.

John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Stephen1

That looks Great. I am enjoying this build.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/11/2023:

Spent the last four days milling out 2x8s. Topped out the stacks.

Had to use my persuader on the left stack to get the metal on top. Roughly 240 boards that will come in around 2,500 sq-ft for the roof deck. I need 2,438 sq-ft. So I probably need another 500 sq-ft for drying losses.

I've got another 16' log that will get me ~300 sq-ft, and three 33's. But the storm door is opening on Tuesday.  ::)
John Sawicky

TimW

Will the drying loses be from the lower boards covered in snow for the winter?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Ljohnsaw

The ponderosa behaves fairly well. I'm thinking crook or splits. Then having it T&G'd a little more loss. With the white and red fir, I saw a solid 15% loss mostly twisting.

The snow doesn't just cover the bottom boards.  With 12 feet of snow last year and expected again this year, they ALL get covered in snow!
John Sawicky

Sod saw

Have been following this build with great interest in your details.

"12 feet of show."                 A question:    When an Architect designs a building roof in your area (elevation), what number do they use for snow load?

Thanks and have a peaceful winter.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Ljohnsaw

IIRC, it was 315 RSL with the steep pitch, which was reduced from 346 GSL.

And I'm the Architect (along with input from the FF) and Draftsman. I worked with Fire Tower out of Rhode Island. When you have a few sleepless nights, go back to page 1. It's been along ride!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/13/2023:

Went up Sunday with my buddy to mill up the last 16.5' x 32" log. That was the tuffest of all to cut. Ended up using 3 blades. I experimented a little. The engine tops out at 3,300 rpm. Pushing, it starts to load and drops to 2,800-2,900. I kept pushing harder and it would drop to 2,600 (grunting) and would start throwing bigger chips/less dust and move noticably faster in the 30" cut.

Anyhow, this log wasn't any tighter ringed but much harder. I got 31 2x8s out of it, 661 bd-ft. Pretty much out of stacking space.

For boards:

And for slabs/firewood:  

For future reference when I'm standing on the 10-12' of snow in March or April.

John Sawicky

Magicman

I am assuming that you have put your build to sleep for the Winter?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Yes :(

I did go up the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to retrieve my quick attach off the Ford. I had the bucket slip off one side and tweak it. I straightened it as best I could with the hydraulics but it was difficult to change attachments.

I tried to straighten it better at home with chains and a jack, no joy. I have that other tool plate so I set it in that. I sawsall'd one end of the connecting tube. It moved an inch in two directions! So I cut the other side. I slipped in a short piece of 2" square in each end to align it for welding back in place. I was already planning on adding a piece of 3" sch 40 pipe as a cross piece. After seeing the square tube was at best 1/8", I added a second pipe and you see both here.

Slapped some paint on it and back up the hill yesterday to install.

Works great now.
John Sawicky

Magicman

OK, we will see it again late next Spring.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

Temps have been vasalating between upper 20s to low 40s the last few weeks. Probably could/should have left the mill up and cut more wood, but no where to put it!

Light snow showers with icy stuff remaining in the shadowy areas. Wednesday the frozen ground crust was only about an inch deep but probably because the dust was dry below it. Dusting of snow last night, supposed to be on and off through tomorrow.
John Sawicky

Sod saw

ijohnsaw,  Thanks for the invitation to read from the beginning.  I have been following along for some time now.

I always believe that our snow load was a lot because it is somewhat above surrounding loads here due to Lake Affect Snow from the Great Lakes.  But at only 20% of your snow load, I am dumbfounded as we normally think of California as being hot and sunny.

At least you have a big freezer to protect the wood from bugs for much of the year.  Have you any idea when you might get a roof of some sort, on? 

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Ljohnsaw

This time last year, I said next summer. But the impressive snow fall, the cold spring and equipment issues killed that plan. They were predicting the same this year but it's off to a slow start. No snow yet on the ground.

All the beams are now up, I have a few logs left to make rafters and some of the previously cut rafters may be viable. So, I'll say the rafters will make it up next year (summer). I have most, if not all the roofing 2x boards (ponderosa) cut and drying now. Plan to have them T&G'd at my neighbor's cabin. I dare say they will make it up next year as well.

It would be nice to get the insulation and metal up, but time will tell.

I have the first floor 2x floorboards (white fir) cut and dried along with the 1x cedar wall boards also ready to T&G. I want to use ponderosa for the loft floor/bedroom ceilings. Much nicer grain. That should be generated from the rafter side wood.
John Sawicky

pawprints518

I'm curious what equipment will be used for all the T&G work.

Thanks for sharing this great experience with us

Ljohnsaw

I don't remember what he said he had. It is a 4 sided planer that needs a 50A circuit.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Just replying to see if it works on the new software.

Ok, the above works. This was "quick edit"

Now on Modify under More. Hmm, how to pull a picture from my gallery...

John Sawicky

Jeff

The Galllery seems to be working correctly now. Just go to the picture, look below it for embed options. Copy the one you want, and paste it in your post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

And I can testify that posting Gallery pictures is easily done.   ;)

Ljohnsaw

Didn't work.

Posted above, now using "Modify"

A picture?

In "Quick Edit" - picture is now code. Adding more text. Another picture:

So, looks like post the first word then go back and modify.
John Sawicky

TimW

John,
    What do you do when away from the TF build to keep from getting bored?

Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Ljohnsaw

I had about 20 things to fix on the mill. I bring the head home so the snow doesn't crush it. I've got about 5 left to do.

I build stuff/remodel around my house.  Take care of deferred maintenance.

I have a few customers that have handyman stuff for me. They patiently wait over the summer when I'm not available. I tell them, when the snow piles up, I'll get to them.  I get referrals so always something.  I also help out family members with projects.

There is also fishing.  I rarely have nothing to do. Come spring, I get a little anxious to get started but have to wait out the snow.
John Sawicky

TimW

John,
       Is the snow starting to disappear, or do you have lots of snow still?

Thank You Sponsors!