iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Looks well done on both jobs.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Prizl tha Chizl

Thanks for posting the photos of the model. I was late to come to the story, and have done some catching up, but it helps to see with so much of your frame up now. 
Nice job on the drilling jig, that will likely save me some headache down the road.
Do you understand the reasoning behind the engineers bolt request? I'm largely ignorant on these things, but thought I had understood that opposing braces work (mostly) in compression, pegs being more than adequate to keep them seated in their mortises.
Keep up the good work!
"The Woods Is My Church"

Ljohnsaw

Well, from what I've read, the pegs are really just to hold the bents together when you are setting them up (for the braces).  I was/am striving for NO plywood anywhere.  Being an earthquake state and high winds up here (100+ mph), there needs to be a substitute for a shear wall.  So I threw in a lot of extra braces (knee braces on the perimeter).  But that doesn't help the interior three bents where knee braces are impractical.  The internal top braces need to be very secure in both tension and compression.  So, a way to lock the braces in was needed.  There are some internal things available but the precision drilling and cost of both the tool and parts put me off.  So the bolts are a compromise.  As to why 1" vertical and ¾" horizontal, IDK.

IIRC, the engineer ran the wind model to 120 mph but I don't know the earthquake value he used.  He did comment that the frame is VERY sturdy!

Yesterday I had grand plans to get the 11 vertical 1" bolts in place.  Drilling up a 1" hole through 22" of wood can wear a guy out!  I got 4 done.  I did some simpler stuff to fill the day.  I pulled about 600 nails from the external brace plates and drove in the same amount of ¼x1.5 lags.  Got another 300 to pull this morning...

Time to get to work!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Didn't drill anymore this morning but replaced 300 or so nails for lags.  Then I placed the 32 brace plates for the upper braces putting only lags on one side until I get the beams fully set down with the help from the SkyTrak.  So that was another 256 lags before lunch.  Originally, I hammered the nails by leaning out from the floor joists.  This was required to be able to drive the screw:

That's a 20' ladder section - so the first floor is 17' above ground level on the north side.  Add 10' to the second floor.

Probably heading back up Sunday or Monday.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/17/2022:

Yesterday I finished up pegging the two outside beams.  I had to use my new come-a-longs to pull the beams down onto the posts.  The beams had moved a bit and made a ¾" gap on a couple posts.  The come-a-longs are rated a 2T and I used two and got them as tight as I could.  Using the SkyTrak might have been faster but I can't reach that high now!  Once those were pegged, I finished lagging the brace plates in place.  Finally got that done!

Well, I planned on one half, maybe one full day to add the bolts to 11 braces.  I did it in spurts since it was so physically taxing.  Horizontal were "easy", the vertical was brutal.  I drilled a 1" hole for the 1" bolt (engineer/code requires the hole to be no more than 1/32" to 1/16" oversize).  So I had to pound the bolts in (from the bottom).  I ended up using my digging bar with the 2½" tamping pad end.  What do those weigh? Fifteen, twenty pounds?  I could do all but the last 2" or so from the floor.  Then I used the head of a 12 pound sledge and an oak peg to finish it off.  All done after about 20 hours of work over a few days!  In the summer, my work days are 12-13 hours but now with the shorter days I'm lucky to get 10 or 11 hours in.  I'm so glad to be done with these!

On the second floor, I only have to do the knee braces on the mid-purlin posts on the middle three bents - so six to do.  These will be much easier since I will be drilling DOWN and pounding DOWN instead of up!

Tomorrow I will be doing a little pre-winterizing with my stacks of floor planks and prepping the two end bents for going up on Wednesday when my buddy is coming to help.  If those go well, then prep and set the middle bents.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/18/2022:

OK, ready for tomorrow:

There are three 18' steel pipe poles there.  Two are sitting on the 2" balls sticking forward on the yellow brackets seen on October 12th.  The third pole is in the middle and is chained to the backstop.  It's sole purpose is to prevent the boom from going over backwards when upright.  It is NOT a load element.  You can make out the heavy chains and binders that take the load with the two other poles.

This will be used in a nearly vertical position to give me extra height up on the second floor which is 20' above the ground level at the front of the cabin.  Lifting and lowering will be done with the chain hoist.

I did a load test in the horizontal position, for which it was not intended.  My heaviest bents are the middle three with 8x10 posts.  Using the tool box, the calculated green weight of one of those is 1,300 pounds.  They have dried quite a bit so probably way less than 1,000 pounds.  Being conservative, I'll assume 1,000.

I have a 24" x 33' Ponderosa Pine log (very green).  The log weight calculator doesn't go to that length so I did a 16'.  That weighs in at 2,262 pounds.  I only lifted the one end of the log so that's about what I lifted - maybe a little more.  I just used my log tongs on the end of the boom - without the chain hoist.  The left pole was deflecting inward quite a bit the further I lifted, so I ended the test.  So, I'm saying I have a 2:1 margin on lift capability (in the worst orientation possible!), so I'm comfortable with that.  (Probably more like 4:1 when vertical)  If I was able to do the lift test with the pole vertical, I think I could lift a lot more due to the geometry.  Maybe I'll do that in the morning.

To position the chain host over the center of gravity of the bent, the boom will be tilted slightly forward with the SkyTrak boom fully extended and slightly lowered.  I figure I'll have to raise the SkyTrak boom and retract to position over the final position.  What I won't do is tip the forks - with that 18' extension, it really moves the tip fast!
John Sawicky

Andries

Seems you've explored all the possibilities, best luck tomorrow.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/19/2022:

I did another load test with the boom up high, forks rolled back as far as they would go and used the chain hoist with log tongs.  Went well picking up the end of the big log.  Setting it down, the log jumped and the shock load buckled one pipe and bent the other. ::)

So, spent a couple hours straightening the two pipes (easy with the backstop on the SkyTrak pinching them straight) and welding the buckled one that split when straightened.  My welder on the generator is a challenge, to say the least.  But, got'er dun.

First bent (#5, the south one) was pretty easy and up before lunch.  Just the middle post didn't set with gravity (¼" gap).  I'll give it some help in the morning.

The second one (#1, the north bent) was a bit more challenging.  No room to put the SkyTrak inline with the cabin so had to be at an angle and it's about 5' lower ground back there.  Got it lifted and with a little shaving of a tenon (forgot to re-measure before lifting on this one), got it in place. But forgot about the braces ::)  So lifted again and re-set it.  That took up most of the afternoon.

Two down, three to go.
John Sawicky

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Good work!
You'll be setting up cell towers and windmill towers soon.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

beenthere

Very exciting to see the timber bents going up against the skyline. Bet you are proud of those steps in your accomplishments so far, as well you should be. 
Thanks for taking us along on your build. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/21/2022 - end of a 6 day run at it.

Other than the railing I screwed on, doesn't look different.  But all the brace plates on the outside are attached and ten 1" oak pegs have been installed (small dark spots).  On the mini-ties, one on each purlin post and two on the center post (one for each tie tenon).  The bottom of each post has two in the main tie beam but only visible from the first floor.

I think I posted this long shot looking north a while back.

Zoomed in a bit.

Ended the day by fitting up bent #2.  I still have a little fiddling to do and need to make the lower braces.

I've been plowing through the oak pegs.  Installed 82 so far.  I got them quite a few years ago from another FF member in a big box. (edit: Got them from @Dakota back in 2014 - where did you get them?)  About 90 of them.  So I stopped and made a count of how many I will need.  Looks like the frame uses 224 pegs so I need another 142 to complete!  Time to order some - any recommendations?  There are 17 braces that will have bolts and no need for pegs.  The engineer made a comment that I could drill and put dummy pegs in if I want.  I did save a lot of ~3" cut-offs that I could use for that.

Back at it next Tuesday - giving platelets on Monday.
John Sawicky

Walnut Beast

Prizl tha Chizl

Straight from the source. Family run cottage (literally) industry
http://www.pegs.us/products.htm
"The Woods Is My Church"

Ljohnsaw

I did find them before.  Their web site is broken - no ordering on line available.  Might give them a call on Monday.
John Sawicky

Cornerstone

What a beautiful place and incredible build John! I can't think of a better looking place to retire in. If I had enough free time I would volunteer myself to help out, I think it would be an awesome experience for sure.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Dakota

I can't remember where I got them.  I ordered them from a guy back east somewhere.  Sorry.
Dave Rinker

firefighter ontheside

Looking good John.  I thought maybe this was gonna be the "first snow of the season" post.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Weeeellll, They are predicting some cold weather this week.  I'm heading up on Tuesday but should be blustery.  It was 28° in Truckee last night (other side of the summit).  Sunday should be the first good snow and cold weather.  So, probably pulling out my camper trailer end of this week. :(
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/26/2022:

Got up here Tuesday around 8:30.  Glad I grabbed my heavy jacket when I went out the door!  It was a bit nippy (38°) but 'warmed up' to a high of 51° by 4pm.  I used up my remaining pegs on bent #2, cleaned up the deck and lifted my Roust-a-bout up to the top with my 'new' SkyTrak extension.  I was able to get it around bent #2 to be ready to lift after I cut the braces for the perlin posts (6 total required).  I finished fitting up bent #4 by about 6pm.

It was COLD last night.  Had to turn on the heater in the popup tent trailer.  It got down below freezing and a good frost was still around at 8:30am. I slept in til 7, it was just too cold to get out of my sleeping bag!

Went on a quest to find some brace stock from all the 4x6  material I cut over the last couple of years.  A lot of it was made from white fir and is fit for ship keels or propellers.  The close one below is actually Ponderosa Pine and must have come from a bad tree.  Looks like it twisted 45°!  Designer fire wood now :-\

Anyhow, found my stash of good PP and cut the 6 braces I need.  Was able to do the fit-up on bent #2 before the temp started to drop.  I'll have a go at setting it up tomorrow morning and hopefully bent #4 will follow.
John Sawicky

TN King

Just stumbled across the build.
Looks great. Better than Darby's castle.
Can probably see the silhouette up on the Hilt. 
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/27/2022:

Mad scramble before the predicted snow falls next Tuesday.  Here's some pictures of the Roust-a-bout in action.  It is rated at 1,500 pounds and I calculated the green weight of my 10" bents at 1,300.  I took it slow and it went pretty good.  Lifted easily in low/low gearing.  There is a high and a low spindle.  The high turns the low spindle about 4x speed.  Then the handle has a long and a short way to install for more or less leverage.

As it neared vertical, I removed the temporary boards lagged into the base of the three posts that provided support and kept them aligned during the lift.  Hanging free here.

It wiggled down to about 1/2" of sitting flush.  So I use some come-a-longs to snug it up.

I'm out of pegs so I didn't raise bent #4.  I sent an email to Pegs.us last Friday.  No response.  Called Monday and they said it would take a few weeks to fill my order.  I said ship what you have which was most of what I needed.  Still no charge on my Visa.

So, plan B.  I had some scrap red oak stair treads from a job I did last summer.  Along with some hardwood (white oak & maple) pallet rails I saved, I made up about 75 blanks (need 150 in total).  I have that mag drill so I'm going to drill a series of graduated holes in some 3/8" plate and try the pound-it-through method of making my own pegs.  Plan is for tomorrow and Saturday to put up bent #4 and finally #3.  Then to pack up the trailer and winterize before the big freeze coming on Thursday.
John Sawicky

doc henderson

sorry about your supply chain issues.  looks great.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

I can appreciate paying $0.60 to $1.00 for pegs now. ;)  I cut the blanks to 1-1/32" square.  My biggest annular cutter is only 1-1/16" so can't pound a square peg through that hole.  Back to the table saw and made them octagonal.  That made 4 sides just a hair under 1" and the other 4 sides a hair over.  That was still work pounding through that hole.  Then on to the 1" hole.  Now that is work with a 5 pound sledge!  Only did 3 or 4.  Not a good finish with my homemade jig. 

Back to the shop.  I have on old 10er ShopSmith.  I put 120 grit paper on one of my 12" sander disks, set the table next to it with the fence a hair over 1" away.  Put an octagonal blank between and rotate.  Gave me rounded 1" octagons with a variation of +/- 1/32" to 1/64".  I'll take my die with me if I need to punch them through the 1" hole but I think these should be good.  I got 84 done.  Just checked my bank statement and Pegs.us just hit my credit card ::)  I was going to call them on Monday to reduce my order after I verify these pegs work.  UPS says my order should arrive Thursday (too late).  Guess I'll have to build some other timber frame stuff.  Maybe a tractor or sawmill shed!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Quick weekend update.  Four down, one to go!

Came up Saturday and did some fiddling with bents 1 & 2.  I put up 1 & 5 first and they lined up perfectly ;).  When I added bent #2, it was off by a bit.  Doesn't take much of an error to tip a 19' post out of alignment. :-\  Took tons of measurement and found the fault to be bent #1.  So I shifted (tipped) it west just a tad and I'm satisfied.  Then I spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon putting in the four big bolts in the lower braces.  Then I was tweaking bent #4, measuring things 3 times, adjusting the post base tenons, cleaning out the mortises in the main tie beam, etc.

This morning a pretty much uneventful raising before lunch.

I used a pair of come-a-longs to pull it down the last inch.  The center post didn't want to go the last 1/4" no matter how much I wiggled and banged.  Then I saw my extension ladder was stuck against the temporary diagonal cross brace preventing it from dropping. ::)

Drilled all the 1" peg holes and pounded all 14 of my homemade ones in - some were pretty snug, some just snug enough.  Didn't do the bolts yet.  Off to do the final bent!
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!