iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool New Tool!...Layout tape.

Started by Rooster, March 18, 2013, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Back when I went up to the Timber framer's gathering up in Grand Marais, MN, I got my first look at the new layout tape that fellow FF member, Brad_bb had designed and developed through the Fastcap company. 

Some of you "regulars" will remember the survey that was posted asking about our own layout techniques and how we "burn" the end of our tapes to be more accurate when laying out for mortises and tenons on beams.

I got a chance to use one of the new tapes and was impressed enough to order 4 of them from Brad_bb.
One for the work truck.
One for my tool bag.
One for backup.
And one to pass out for others to try.

Rooster

P.S. Check out his youtube video:

http://youtu.be/phJAvI2wt6g

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting.

I too am impressed with the tape.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Thanks Rooster, glad you like it! 

After last summer's survey, and carefully considering the balance of possible features, we are proud to announce that the new TimberFrame Layout Tape Measure is now available(in the For Sale section).  It's primary feature is that has the zero mark 10 inches from the hook.  For those who do layout using the "Burn" method on a standard tape, this tape removes the need to remember to add the "burned" amount to your layout dimensions.  This simplifies the process and reduces the need to recheck.  By preventing this common layout error, it will prevent many timbers from being cut too short or joinery in the wrong location.  It will save framers valuable time and timber, and the worst case scenario of discovering on raising day that a timber is too short.  Features: 30' high quality "layflat"  PVC coated steel tape, flat for easy marking,  reverse scale from zero in red for marking tenons,  inches and feet markings, green case to distinguish from your other tapes, large erasable writing area on tape body for notes. 
   It took 2 years to find the right company to work with me on this project.  It is manufactured by FastCap.com, a specialty tool company.  The owner of FastCap was very generous in supporting this project for the benefit of the TF community, expending his company's time and efforts and absorbing a portion of the development and carrying costs.  My goal is to improve the layout process and reduce wasted time and timber in the TF community, and hopefully break even on the tooling costs.  This is a limited run, so if you think it might be of use to you, don't hesitate.  Both Jim Rogers and I are selling them.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

giant splinter

Very nice Brad, I remember your original post on the forum about the burn tape and some of the ideas that you would like to incorporate into the design as well as asking the members to see how much interest it would generate. I looks like you have followed up and it is now available for everyone to take advantage of. Great idea and it seems you went all the way with three rivets and the layout rivet hole ...... the works and a very well thought out 30 ft. layout tape designed/engineered product that many of the building trades will be able to put to use. All the cool features plus a few really neat ones to boot like the erasable note pad for writing down the ladies phone numbers and the stand out green color as well as the material chosen for the lay flat idea.
Nice work Brad and you followed up in style with a very useful layout tool for the Timber Framers and all other trades to make the job go smoother.
Great idea, Great follow up and a truly remarkable tool ..............Congratulations!  it's incredible.
roll with it

Brad_bb

Hey thanks!  "...for writing down the ladies phone numbers ..."  Good one!  You mention other trades.  I only surveyed the Timber Frame community (and FF), but I do wonder how many woodworkers use the burn method, and if any other trades to too.  I would love to have more insight into that.  Perhaps enough word will get out?  I'll know if I see sales beyond what I forecast, which was just enough to break even.

tyb525

I often use the "burn" method where I need to be very accurate, like trim work. The flat tape also looks nice, I know it gets to be a pain trying to make an accurate mark with a curved tape. Curved tapes are nice for taking measurements, but once you lay them on a board they aren't so nice.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

giant splinter

Brad
I suspect that the carpentry trade with rafter cutters and stair builders, the framing layout crews.
Masonry with the brick spacing layout tapes.
Boat building shipwrights with the curved planking and lofting work.
Survey and Engineering with the decimal foot (10ths.) for building footprints normally burn at stationing points and the pipe monuments, boundary markers using an extended tape often with a leather grip hold on the one end.
I am sure there are many applications for burning and it might be that any trade that uses a tape or a rule may have some layout method that can use your layout tape to speed up the layout work.
roll with it

John S

Hi Brad,
The check is in the mail.  Maybe sometime soon I will figure out the Paypal method.  Looking forward to using the tapes.
John Snyder
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Ljohnsaw

Very nice. I'll be ordering one tonight. I'd do it now but my old Blackberry doesn't like PayPal!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rmawhinney

I ordered one......this is something I have thought about a lot of times before for uses in lots of different areas not just timber framing. I cant wait to get it along with my box of tools from Jim!

Brad_bb

I found a great video from the Manufacturer I worked with on this tape.  It has a lot of very good information about tape measures, accuracy, manufacturing them, that I thought this crowd would enjoy.
http://youtu.be/zW-6cfM4i7s

Jim_Rogers

I hadn't seen that one. It was very good.
Thanks for posting.

Jim Rogers

jander3

Brad,

I am sending a check tomorrow for 2 tape measures.  I am looking forward to trying this out on my next project.  I really like the flat tape idea.

Thanks

thecfarm

That sounds like you put a lot of thought into it. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

Looks like they might be a good sponsor for the FF to look into.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I have told Brad the forum would wave the usual 5% on this, after he requested me to as he has said this is a not a for profit venture.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

frwinks

great job on gettin' 'er dun Brad smiley_beertoast

dukndog

Got mine in today. My 17 yo son said I had a package and brought it in. I told him the story about the "survey" Brad and Jim set up and this was the result of that survey. He then said, so can I have one? Maybe my order wasn't large enough!!
Great job Brad and Jim!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Jim_Rogers

We've got more, just order one up......

Jim Rogers

Ljohnsaw

Jim,
I got my pair of tapes today - thanks.  Nice, nice product.  I'm looking forward to using one and holding on to the other as a back up.  For the rest of you, buy two - the shipping is the same for one or two.  They fit in a small flat rate priority box!  It may be a long time before there are more available!
John
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 23, 2013, 01:55:41 AM
Jim,
I got my pair of tapes today - thanks.  Nice, nice product.  I'm looking forward to using one and holding on to the other as a back up.  For the rest of you, buy two - the shipping is the same for one or two.  They fit in a small flat rate priority box!  It may be a long time before there are more available!
John

Thanks for your comments and purchase John.

When you get some timbers we've love to see some pictures or a video of you using one.

Jim Rogers

Rooster

Tool review:

I tried out Brad_bb's new FastCap TF layout tape today at the jobsite. 

I have to say that I like it a lot.

He also sent me a prototype tape stand (made out of 2x3 angle-iron) that keeps the tape upright, and the tread tape, keeps it from sliding around when the tape is pulled out and extended over long distances.

Some of the things that I noticed is that the exit slot for the tape is taller than need be for a flat tape.  It looks as if the case is made for a curved tape which would explain the need for a "taller" exit slot.

This added space can cause the tape end (including the tongue/hook) to be recessed a bit and makes it a slight challenge to grab the tongue/hook...especially while wearing gloves.

But that did not stop me from using it!!...I simply modified the hook by adding a short zip-tie to the nail slot in the hook and used it like a pull-tab.

The tab is also makes it easier to pull the tape out when it is mounted in the stand/holder since the tongue/hook is so close to the beam surface.

Overall, It is a fine tape and I am happy with my purchase.

Peace,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brad_bb

Thanks for the comments Rooster.  I guess our communication wasn't clear on the stand-I wasn't going to show it until I had the final ones ready to go.  Oh well, the Forestry Forum has seen behind the curtain.  Just spurs me to get them ready faster.  Just so everyone knows, the one Rooster showed is just a prototype.  The final one will look a bit different -color, finish, some construction difference and another feature which is not shown in the photos.

jander3

Another April snow storm. While waiting for the weather to clear, I spent a day in the garage making a bench out of some 3" Red Oak slabs I cut and hauled home last summer.   I had the opportunity to try out Brad's new layout tape. Very nice! I think every framer needs one of these. 

In particular, I really like the lay flat tape, this ensures that my box cutter markings are right on the money.

Jim_Rogers

Nice pictures, and thanks for posting them.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I brought one "layout tape" with me to Atlanta.

We've been using it to measure our test fits of the frame we're going to be raising.

It is fabulous. And works great.
Being a "lay-flat" tape it is very easy to verify your measurements, timbers, and joints.

Being 30' long is great also, we're doing a 24' frame and we used it to verify the diagonal measurement.

I've been so busy working on this frame that I really haven't had time to stop and take a picture of the tape "in action"...

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Last week while in Atlanta, I had the chance to use the layout tape on the frame we were about to raise.

Wow, what a great tape. It works great. The best part of the tape is the "lay flat" feature.

The 10" burn to zero is also good. But we weren't actually laying out any tenons to use the red numbers. But we did use this tape a lot, to double check previously laid out timbers.

And it was easy to see on the tool table as it was the only green tape there.

Also, it was easy to get the "tool runner" to get it as I could just call out, "Green tape Please", which could be seen quickly by the runner.

The standard tape we had on hand was black and we had a 100' yellow tape also.

Nice numbers, easy to read, either feet and inches or just inches.

I am very happy with it and it should be a very good tool for a long time.

I have a tape that I have designated at a "layout tape" and that tape was the only one that I ever used to layout the joints on timbers of the frames I have cut. And that tape has lasted me many frames and many years.

My point is that if you use this tape as it is intended, as just a layout tape it should last you a very long time.

It is not a bad investment at $20.

Jim Rogers

Brian_Weekley

Bump. 

It's been awhile--for those timber framers new to the forum who may not have seen this before.  A nice tool to have.
e aho laula

S.Hyland

I was actually thinking of picking a couple more of these up...
I can say that this is a great tool to have. The first time you don't make the dreaded "burned measurement mistake" it's already paid for itself many times over! It's the only layout tape used in the shop. No one is allowed to use regular tapes for timber layout. Highly recommended!
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Jim_Rogers

Thanks guys for your kind words about this product.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

Thanks Brian and Sean!  That was the whole reason I did this project, I was sick and tired of forgetting the inch I burned and cutting it too short!

opticsguy

I am a little confused, how and/or where do you buy these tapes at?  Website?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Brian_Weekley

It would be helpful if it was better advertised where to buy one.   ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65200.0.html
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

In the for sale section of this forum under the timber framing hand tools for sale list is the item ID # M354** in this post as well:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50674.0.html

Jim Rogers

jacobcbass

Anyone willing to sell one of these. According to Jim...they are no longer available...ever! Thanks Guys!!!
Nothing is to good for the family!

Sod saw

It's been most of a decade since this tape was first produced.  If they are no longer available, , , is there any reason that the manufacturer can't have another run made?  

It seems that there should be younger folks that were not aware of it (me included) back then, who might appreciate an opportunity to have one of their own.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Jim_Rogers

When we contacted them again to do another run they wanted an order of 5000 pieces. We had previously order 1000. The cost back then (to us) was $10 each. We didn't have $50,000 to invest in tapes. And still don't.
Several different tool dealers tried to get them to do another run and they won't without a huge commitment. 

Jim Rogers

Sod saw

Can you remember how long it took for the original 1000 to sell out?

What was the selling price back then?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Sod saw on August 02, 2023, 06:37:32 PM

Can you remember how long it took for the original 1000 to sell out?

What was the selling price back then?

No, and $20 to start then $25.

Thank You Sponsors!