iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maximum log length

Started by Birk-man, August 04, 2010, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birk-man

Hi all,

I'm working on setting up a Belsaw M-14 circle saw. 

The package comes with a 10' carriage and has options for various track lengths.  I'd like to be able to cut 16' logs but would appreciate comments about the practicality of cutting 16' material with a 10' carriage on this mill.

I calculate that I would need 30' of track to cut 16' logs.

40" - blade
240" - 10' of carriage on either side of the saw
72" - 3' of log log hanging over the the ends of the carriage

29'- 4" - rounds up to 30'

Yer suggestions and comments welcome!

Peter Wendel

bandmiller2

Peter,its usally considered OK to have a log/cant extend up to two feet beyond the end of the carriage so your up to 14'.Something like timbers or dimention stuff will work out at 16 feet but boards will get flappy and likely be tapered.If your planning to cut alot of long cants extend your carriage.30' of track should be alright as long as you have some distance from where your working turning the log and the blade.Oh,and welcome.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

my opinion is more is better.on the bandmill i use and on the belsaw i used to have if you got a long log on the dead deck a little off it didnt work out well. unless you are going to cut everything 2 foot oversize and trim after it is on the mill a little extra length is sweet. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!