iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw came back beat up

Started by MNBobcat, March 12, 2018, 09:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Wow, that is great!!

And this one probably won't have that carb issue you had to deal with on the original saw.

Congrats!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

MNBobcat

Spike,

That's what I'm hoping!  I'm pretty certain the underlying issue with my saw was never fixed.  I was concerned it would reoccur next winter when it gets cold again.

I'm happy to have a chance to have a properly working saw.  

Tin Horse

That's great news ! your persistence paid off. My greatest fear is taking equipment in for repairs no matter what it is. I took my new fishing boat back 3 times (under warranty) and because the computer hook up didn't identify the issue they couldn't figure it out. Each time it sat in a unsecured field. When I finally brought it home I had to winterize it a second time. It was during a snow storm.
I from now on specify how my equipment will be cared for or I go somewhere else. ( when possible).
You made an example of them and that's good. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

MNBobcat

When I get this new saw the dealer won't be fueling it up for the first time and setting the carb. 

I don't have a tach for a chainsaw.  If I make sure the saw is 4-stroking just a bit in the cut, I should be safe, correct?  Better to be a little rich than too lean.

My son in-law does a lot of motorycle work and he may have a tach he uses on a motorcycle.  Anyone know if that would work on a chainsaw too?  I have no idea what a tach for a chainsaw looks like or how it works.

Thanks!

thecfarm

That is good news. I myself don't know how to set a saw up. I would take it to the dealer and have them do it.
If you did it,warranty??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MNBobcat

Quote from: thecfarm on March 14, 2018, 02:20:37 PM
That is good news. I myself don't know how to set a saw up. I would take it to the dealer and have them do it.
If you did it,warranty??
It's a 2 hour round trip to the dealer.  I can't (don't want to) make another trip to them.  But they do know that I know how to adjust the carbs so I don't think they would dispute anything if I had a problem with the saw down the road.

Southside

Yup 2 hours is a long drive, but personally after all of this - I would find someone who can set it up the way Makita will warranty it, maybe another dealer.  You don't want to hear a loud screech and wonder if they will come good the second time.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tin Horse

Apparently many saws can't have carb adjustments done anymore??? I took my 1 1/2 year old Dolomar 5100s back thinking it needed carb adjusted. It would only all of a sudden come up to about half power. Carb is pre set and shouldn't be touched dealer said. Special tool anyway. Ended up being the coil. $200.00 later and just past warranty.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

MNBobcat

Quote from: Tin Horse on March 14, 2018, 04:38:27 PM
Apparently many saws can't have carb adjustments done anymore??? I took my 1 1/2 year old Dolomar 5100s back thinking it needed carb adjusted. It would only all of a sudden come up to about half power. Carb is pre set and shouldn't be touched dealer said. Special tool anyway. Ended up being the coil. $200.00 later and just past warranty.
They can be adjusted.  You need a special tool which you can get on amazon and then there may be caps on the needles where you may need to remove those caps before adjusting.  

HolmenTree

That's a heck of a good deal ,it took me lots of wrangling to get a replacement for my brand new lemon from the factory 550XP that only  had 1 1/2 hour on it.
Too bad I didn't know that Husqvarna offers a 1week return policy if you're not happy with the saw.

You may want to think twice about doing the saw setup yourself. That just may be enough grounds for them to not honor future warranty.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Quote from: MNBobcat on March 14, 2018, 01:13:32 PMIf I make sure the saw is 4-stroking just a bit in the cut, I should be safe, correct? Better to be a little rich than too lean.

There are others on here who know a whole lot more about this than I do, but I believe you want it 4-stroking just a bit at full throttle when out of the cut, and it should "clean up" when in the cut.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

LeeB

Will this replacement saw come with a new saw warranty or just continue with your original warranty?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

Generally it continues with the original warranty, if like anything else.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LeeB

As would be expected. Can't really see getting a new warranty for a replacement. Warranty or no, they did good.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Quote from: John Mc on March 15, 2018, 12:19:13 AM
Quote from: MNBobcat on March 14, 2018, 01:13:32 PMIf I make sure the saw is 4-stroking just a bit in the cut, I should be safe, correct? Better to be a little rich than too lean.

There are others on here who know a whole lot more about this than I do, but I believe you want it 4-stroking just a bit at full throttle when out of the cut, and it should "clean up" when in the cut.
More on this... Madsen's has a good Chainsaw Maintenance and Repair page. Check out the link to Saw Tuning. It includes an audio file of what it should sound like. (NOTE: typical speakers in a laptop are of too poor a quality to hear this well. BEst to play it through some good speakers - maybe some decent headphones would work OK?)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

Quote from: Tin Horse on March 14, 2018, 04:38:27 PM
Carb is pre set and shouldn't be touched dealer said.

Next time ask them if the weather comes preset too.   You ever seen a 2 stroke motorcross where carbs arent get dialed in between every single heat?  

10 degree temp change, time to get the screwdriver.

Yes follow madsens.  I can give you cliff notes.  Get it running and crank up idle speed.  Now twist the L screw in and out listening for the highest idle you can achieve.   Leave it there and back the idle screw to normal so chain stops walking.   Rev it up and get the H screw turned out far enough to be raspy when free revving.  In the cut under load it should "shift" from 4 stroking to 2 stroking.  Burbly and raspy to screamy and sharp.  I consider where i can push into the wood or lift a hair and switch notes on command to be the ideal high speed setting.  

IMO, dont break it in too easy.  But then again i wont warranty this info either.

I still say the shine is concrete skidding on a shop floor.  The gouges look like where it was piled onto a work bench full of other sharp metallic junk.  The chain catcher is obviously a thrown chain.  Thats a consequence of some slob who didnt care to tighten it up as it go hot and sagged off the bar.  Maybe even run it out of bar oil.
Praise The Lord

HolmenTree

Like Stihl ,Jonsered and Husqvarna has there should be a winter pre heater kit for that Dolmar.

MNBobcat

Have ran almost, not quite yet, a tank of fuel through the new saw.  So far so good!

Rebarb

That's quite impressive by Dolmar and possibly sell a few more saws for them.

Thank You Sponsors!