iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small forwarding trailer

Started by Firewoodjoe, January 04, 2015, 01:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I was looking for a price on a small forwarding trailer. Maybe even a ATV trailer. About 5,000lbs max with the load of wood. So 1/2-1 cord. I can't seem to find anything unless I call a dealer. This is just a thought at the moment. Didnt want to get a sales pitch just yet. Thanks.

coxy

i wouldn't want to be on that atv with 5000lb behind it  :D

Wallys World

I went thru the same last year. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Wallenstein Timber Talon. It is designed for a large atv or smaller tractor. It has surge brakes on it. I pull it with a Kubota BX22 or the S10 4x4. It has a 5000 lb ratimg.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Firewoodjoe

I'm using a small crawler. Specs say 3-4,000 lbs. is that 5,000 lb loaded or plus the trailer and loader so like 7,000?

Wallys World

The pay load is 5000, trailer weighs around 750 + around 1000 for crane and power pack. I just don't crazy about loading it.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Firewoodjoe

Do you mind if I ask what it cost?

Alcranb

This is my rig. It's an Andersen M90. I tow it with a Kubota L3710. I find it to be a very versatile rig but I doubt one could make a living with it. I only use it on my woodlots and cut 50 cord of firewood a year and whatever logs I may want for my mill. Wood stays real clean and there's very little impact on the land. It's claimed to be able to be pulled by an ATV but..... Personally I could never justify price of a new one. I found this one on CL in very good shape and in retrospect I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Al's .02
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

thecfarm

I could use one of those soooo bad. That looks good!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wallys World

It was $17500 with a free flatbed that goes on in place of the bunks and an 9" auger that goes in place of the grapple.

RayMO

A person could buy a nice self loading truck or pre-hauler for what some of the bigger units are selling for. The old "niche market" is in full play on them .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

thecfarm

RayMo,how right you are. But hard for me to get a truck through my woods roads for me. That pumpkin would get hung up on a rock mighty quick.  ::)   I have thought about one as you suggested.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Don't bother with a small atv type,You'll just wish you'd gone bigger to start.

Here's my setup,the loader has been highly modified,which is not a good thing.
Ed K

Firewoodjoe

Thank you. That's more then I want to pay but about what I expected. I want small. And I own my little crawler. Thank you again for the info.

Wallys World

I too thought about getting a used forwarder or log truck. My woods roads were made many years ago by my uncles that had Farmall Cub tractors. I would have to widen most of the roads to get abigger machine in, sometimes it is just wide enough for my full size Ford F250 extended cab to get thru.

Thank You Sponsors!