iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my self a 450c jd

Started by lynde37avery, December 24, 2014, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on December 30, 2014, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: loggah on December 30, 2014, 08:26:25 AM
The weld cracks where the frame is welded to the plate that bolts to the steering clutch housing.On the later B and C series John Deere gusseted the inside of the frame to that plate,and some still crack.
Is there a crossmember of some sorts in this area? My uncle told me to look around that area for cracks or new welds, I apologize for the questions. I want to make sure i'm getting a decent machine. I have a friend who has operated equipment for about 15 years now and I fell really confindent in him knowing that the dozer is in great operational shape, but I want to make sure it's a sound piece of equipment. Two sets of eyes looking at a piece of equipment are better than one set I hope.
find the serial number tag on the battery box then look down a ft or so

lynde37avery

Gotchya. I'm a look again. I see one weld in middle about where yall been talking. Pics coming tomorrow. So the bolts work em selves loose? Like from just normal operating it? The previous owner of the machine was legit cool and knew a lot about this unit. I'll take all advice I can get. I'm soooo jazzed I got it. I just wanna pull and then push some but defntly pull a lot.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

snowstorm

thats one of the weak spots on a 450. there are others. someone already welded it

loggah

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ohiowoodchuck

Thank you fine gentlemen for showing the pics and explaining. I'm sure I'll have more questions when the time gets closer. Got to get the wife a shack built on the property first, then the search will begin.
Education is the best defense against the media.

lynde37avery

The other side is good on mine.  I'll look it over inch by inch and update asap.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

Ran the 450. Having an issue allready. Blade goes up down left right. But stuck in tilt mode to one side. Any suggestions? I ran it about an hr then this happened.
Detroit WHAT?

lynde37avery

Got it. Easy fix. Blade was stick on the tilt slides. No issues.
Detroit WHAT?

snowstorm

Quote from: lynde37avery on January 03, 2015, 06:20:24 PM
Got it. Easy fix. Blade was stick on the tilt slides. No issues.
there are or was shims behind them to take up the slop

lynde37avery

Found the shims. Not on the crawler but in a parts box. So that means there is no play/slop in the blade I guess. Feels tight when working it. I know one thing already this dozer PULLS! Four 40ft firewood trees 14"+ on butt end. And the tractor doesn't even know it's hardly pulling it.
Detroit WHAT?

loggah

Your pivot pin on the blade is worn,when you go to tilt it it forces the blade sideways jamming it into the guides! ;D the 450's have enough power to break themselves easily :laugh:
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ford_man

I got a 450B for Christmas a year ago. I discovered the 2 top bolts that hold the trans to the clutch housing broken off worked 2 weeks to drill and use an easy out, it didn't work tractor is at the repair shop to have the engine pulled to get them out. You can see them after you remove the floor pans off. I also discovered the front belly pan is not on so while the engine is out we are going to replace the oil pan.IT DON'T LOOK GOOD.

ohiowoodchuck

I hate easy outs. My new favorite method is to weld a nut onto it and turn it out. It seems to work a lot better. Even if the weld breaks just grind it off and keep repeating. If you want to use a easy out I would recommend the ones made for pipe. They are straight flutes that grab the broken bolt instead of the wedge effect that the tapered easy outs do, which I believe puts even more pressure on the broken bolts.

Ford_man

I agree with you Ohiowoodchuck, the problem was it broke off 2 inches in.

ohiowoodchuck

Quick Center makes a very good tool set to allow a person to remove a broken bolt below the surface. It lines the bit up in the exact center and then lets you drill up in sizes till usually you drill out the broken bolt like a heli coil. Then you can tap and install a new bolt. I believe eveyone should own a set of them. There a little pricey but they work.

Thank You Sponsors!