iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 346xp?

Started by Rtpassini, August 17, 2020, 09:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rtpassini

So I'm newer to the "depth" of saws. Just have an off grid cabin that we use on the weekends. Bought a 440 new a few years ago. Even though I dont have a huge use for a saw now that most land that needed clearing is done I feel I outgrew the saw and am looking at other options. Found an 03 346xp for sale. Looks in nice condition. Case, chains and tons of other items for under 200 bucks. Just some random browsing it seems these saws are desirable especially with some mods. Thoughts? I was looking at ms291 or 455 for comparisons

barbender

If you haven't grabbed it already it's probably already gone. That's a highly sought after saw.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

X2. Deals like that don't often come along. I can't find a 346XP at any price.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

346xp is a nasty limbing saw.   acchilles heel is if it has the rubber/plastic clamp intake boot shared throughout the husky/jred 50cc class.
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

That is easy to change before it becomes a problem.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Im pretty certain you have to lift the jug off the block to get that boot out of the register in the case.  Ive got one apart in the shed i will look at. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I changed the clamp on mine without loosening the jug.
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

A 2003 will have come with the plastic clamp. I've done a ton of these saws. It's much easier to pull the cylinder than to work in that tight space trying to avoid it. Just 4 bolts. Need to be sure that the impulse nipple on the boot properly fits into the hole in the cylinder. If the saw has much time on it, a new ring as it's going back together is a good idea too.

The % of those clamps that failed was pretty high, but there were plenty of them that didn't. Still see a lot of these saws coming into the shop. Quick check is to use your thumb and see if the clamp is loose or not. If it's tight I just leave it alone. If it's loose then I usually change it. Of course, attrition has taken it's toll over the years and most saws that had the clamp problem have failed by now. Any survivors with loose clamps tend to be the homeowner saws with limited hours on them.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

I had a very low hour 346XP New Edition I bought new. Never had much use for it so gave it to my FILaw about 7 years ago. He only used it to cut a few willows since but won't give it up.
Now that I'm 62 yrs old I wish I kept it. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

old guy

I've got 4 of the little buggers, one of em has been touched by Scott Kunze, no! I will not part with em!

mike_belben

I forgot all about this.  

Anyone have the part number for whatever the latest and greatest improved intake boot is?  Hopefully one with a metal clamp.  I sorta wish they just used a hose clamp. 

Praise The Lord

Spike60

Will look it up when I get to the store in about an hour Mike.

EDIT: Here ya go- 537 251 302
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!