iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tutorial - handshaping an axe handle

Started by Dodgy Loner, May 16, 2011, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

You'd fly from Georgia to Mississippi?  Wow, that would take longer than jogging here probably... although a lot easier on the knees. :)

Yeah, let's get the Southern Chapter back together- I'd love to host it but I'm hung up building a house right now- once I get it under roof and in the black (although it will actually be in the white), I'll be able to relax a little and take my time with the interior work... hey, any of you Southern boys want to help make cabinets? Put up siding?  bring your shaper/molder over so we can make T&G for the family room? Oh, and anybody out there with an all-terrain extending forklift I can borrow for a couple weeks?  I'll warn you though: it might "get lost" on the land and never find its way home- I've wanted one of the those for the longest time, ever since Bibby talked up the couple of T-rex's he runs...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jasperfield

Dodgy Loner, you did a good job with your tutorial. When all else fails, you can begin a career doing technical writing.

WDH

LJ,

When I came to McComb on business, I usually flew into New Orleans.  I did drive to Hattiesburg a number of times, and that is about a 7 1/2 hour drive.

Dodgy is now an Axeman.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: ljmathias on May 18, 2011, 05:55:19 AM
Maybe I missed it, but do you have any pictures of your new place?  Love to see what it looks like, inside and out. 

I was looking for the pictures that my wife took, but then it occurred to me that she already posted them all on her blog. You can see them here  :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

You and the missus have a nice place there "Sonny Bubbles".  :D That was an expression I heard a lot from the neighbor's daughter. Don't be worried by it. Just for kicks. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That is a very nice place Honey Justin!  Maybe I can visit you one day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

WDH

That is the way one should live in Mississippi.

Dodgy Loner

Thanks for the comments. The wife and I like the porches, too! Danny, you are welcome here any time :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

LOGDOG

Nicely done. I enjoyed the picture tutorial thoroughly.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. :)

ljmathias

Dodgy, you are one lucky man.  I pray all your hopes and dreams are realized in your new home.  Please let us know if there's any way we Mississippians can help with the move and settling in.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dodgy Loner

Thanks, we're off to a good start. I just about have all of our boxes unpacked and our furniture in place now. My wife will be moving here this Friday, so I will start rearranging the furniture on Saturday ;D

WDH

And Sunday, then a week after that, then next month, then next year, then........well, you see what I mean.  Furniture has a wanderlust  :D.

SwampDonkey

Just be thankful if that's all it is. Mother always has to paint something, paper something and if that ain't enough, need all new curtains and new upholstery.  :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

nicely done.
I would like to see some more pictures of that shavehorse, I need to make one of those, if i can use your design please :)
IronWood.. I once made a 8 ft handrail out of 3 in butt,  and a 6 ft handrail out of 2 in butt, for the lakehouse,  kept it round, but carved out the dry cracks, and made more, that stuff is extremly hard on tooling, and my hands, but they are very nice. 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Dodgy Loner

Of course you're welcome to use my shavehorse design - I took mine from someone else! ;D

My shavehorse is based on a design by John Alexander. He gives some good instructions here. It has been a great tool for the last five or six years, but if I ever make another, I will probably use Brian Boggs' design. It's a bit more complicated, but it looks like it would work very well.

Thank You Sponsors!